Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best 140/150 Forks?
  • pbooker1995
    Free Member

Looking at getting a set of smaller forks for my Five.

Like Fox and the kashima coating but i reckon this is more of a fad than anything.

What would people put of the FIve? Top end rockshox or Fox CTD?

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

X-fusion are getting good reviews, and are cheaper than both the above.

roverpig

I went with these for my recent Five build. No complaints, but not too much to compare them with. A bit better than the Float RL forks I had on my Trance (but not hugely so) and I prefer them to the Revelation RCT3 on my other bike, but again the difference is marginal (and may be all in my head, or just in the setup).

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/forks-shocks/fox-suspension-forks/fox-32-float-140-fit-rlc-15mm-15-tapered-steerer.html

LoCo
    Free Member

New pikes or x fusion

wl
    Free Member

I stuck 150mm (20mm axle) RLT ti Black Box Revelations on my Five and they’re pretty amazing. Listened to folk who said they’re way stiffer than 32s, and probably more reliable. If I was buying again, I’d get 150mm Pikes if the a-to-c height isn’t significantly bigger. Fox would be lower down my list, and I’d go for older ones if poss, not CTD.

ruscle
    Free Member

BOS will poop over the rest. Really easy to service your self and all the adjustments you need. The performance is leagues ahead of Fox.

br
    Free Member

£320 RL Revs on Merlin are 2014 models – look ace with black stanctions, and will find out if they are any good on tomorrows night ride 🙂

sharkattack

Currently running BOS and Fox.

BOS is awesome. Fox needs constant attention. Seen way too many broken or otherwise problematic X-Fusions. Heard nothing but good things about Pikes so far.

Pikes or BOS for my next trail build.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

After owning BOS for 6 months, I wouldn’t recommend them. They’re great when they work. My fork has needed work and my shock’s just blown up and Surf Sales can’t do anything about it because they’re got no spares parts, leaving me with nothing. 🙁

Custom tuned RS Pike and Monarch Plus for me next.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

BOS do not ‘piss over’ anything else. People don’t magically ride better, or faster just because they chuck a set of them on the front.

There is a lot to be said for a fork that works just as well, but has proper support via a large network 🙂

Former BOS owner.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member
    BOS do not ‘piss over’ anything else. People don’t magically ride better, or faster just because they chuck a set of them on the front.

There is a lot to be said for a fork that works just as well, but has proper support via a large network

Former BOS owner.I didn’t agree with what you said about BOS before but now I’m fully in agreement. BOS aren’t worth it until they start supporting their UK distributor by actually giving them parts so they can do the work.

Houns

DT Swiss

boxfish
    Free Member

DTSwiss XMM 140/150 …€500 from bike24.de

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Pikes and monarch rc3 plus is the dream, for me anyway

daveh
    Free Member

So everyone’s agreed, anything and everything other than Fox. 😀

Edit: oh no, missed the Fox recommendation. So basically everything is good.

oreetmon
    Free Member

reply to an old post i kmnow.
    have swapped out my van r 36s to 150 SA RCT3 pikes ( 550 euros posted from http://www.bike-components.de)on my 5 and soooo glad i did. pike has all the stiffness of the van in a lightweight climb friendly 150 travel package that has almost the same A to C as the 140 vanillas that i used to have plugged in.
    really liking these forks at the mo, not much time on them but the 5 now rides a lot better because of them, no front end wandering or wheelies on steep climbs and the bike feels more stable in corners due to dropping the front end.

looking at changing the rp23 BV for a monarch plus rc3 next year to try and get the most out of the single pivot.

will keep the vans for the odd uplift day but 160s on a five is daft for trails, get rid.

PS would just like to thank the RBS for miss selling me all that PPI over the years,,,, it really did come in usefull in the end 😀

RicB

What is the A2C?

ajt123
    Free Member

Sektors are good. Frankly you’d be hard pushed to tell the difference between them and a revelation.

rockhopperbike

DT swiss have a good rep also – and nice long service intervals

chestrockwell

I went from Fox 36 Talas (stantion wear) to RS Revs to DT XMM140’s on my old 5. The DT’s were by far the smoothest.

jonnyrockymountain

DT Swiss here too have had Exm and xmm, both really nice plush and stiff and very good quality.
    Then I would chose revelations
    Then x-fusion
    And at the bottom FOX, they are just over rated and way too expensive?
    Bos wouldn’t touch as not well known enough for servicing?

dirtydog
    Free Member

RicB – Member

What is the A2C?

Posted 22 hours ago # Report-Post

Anyone?

wiggles
    Free Member

axle to crown length, some 150 travel forks may be longer the others of the same travel and therefore effect the geometry etc

charliemort

I think he knows what A2C means but is asking what the measurement is!

daveh
    Free Member

In that case (from memory) the new Pike is either 528 or 530mm @ 150mm.

dirtydog
    Free Member

daveh – Member

In that case (from memory) the new Pike is either 528 or 530mm @ 150mm.

Posted 2 days ago #Report-Post

Cheers, just after the measurements!

I’m looking for something shorter than the 150mm 36s (537mm) currently fitted to my five.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Best 140/150 Forks?’ is closed to new replies.