Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best 10spd shifter / mech combo for a wide range cassette
  • opusone
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve got an 11-42t cassette on the rear and I’m struggling to get my SRAM X9 10spd derailleur to work properly with it – at the moment it won’t shift onto the largest sprocket. I’ve done the whole b screw thing.

I think the problem is actually that the mech is a bit jiggered from various knocks it’s had +/- wear from 2 years of use. I’m thinking of buying a new mech +/- a new shifter. Any advice about what would be the best combo for a wide range cassette?

Ta

ampthill

Is this a SRAM 11 speed block or some sort of home made thing?

cloudnine
    Free Member

10 speed.. Saint shifter and zee mech ftw

colournoise

SRAM mechanic at ‘Ard Rock gave me a bit of a lecture about the problems with using a GX rear mech with any kind of expanded 10 speed cassette (I run 11-40). Then sold me an X9 to replace it…

jam-bo

I was recently surprised how well a zee mech worked on a sunrace 11-42 cassette.

opusone
    Free Member

Zee mech… they only seem to be available in short cage versions. I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that you need a long cage for wide ratios / bigger sprockets. Am I wrong about that (too)?

jam-bo

There are two versions, the DH and the FR. The FR is only supposed to be good up to 36t cassette but it was all I had spare so I tried it and it works really well.,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having run x9 10sp on 11-40, seen mates do it fine 11-42 what was the problem, by done the whole B tension screw did you replace it with the longer one?

I had an XT but it needed the RAD Cage to make it get even close to working on 42t.

GX 11sp for the win these days 😉

BearBack
    Free Member

Saint shifter, zee mech with Radr cage. best quality shifting I’ve had. Bombproof too.
    On 11spd xt with XTR shifter now.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve currently got an X9 on one bike with a 11-40 10 speed set up and shifting is great.

Yetiman
    Free Member

XT with RAD cage and a Saint shifter is a great combo.

rocketman
    Free Member

Another vote for the Saint + wide range Zee combo

stevied
    Free Member

XTR shifter, Saint mech with RadR cage works flawlessly here on Sunrace MX3 11-42
    Always go for the best shifter you can, will make more difference that a posher mech IMO.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best 10spd shifter / mech combo for a wide range cassette’ is closed to new replies.