Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best 10 speed cassette with 42t "built in"?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Still running the now most probably unfashionable standard 10 speed cassette with expander ring. However my local stuff seems to eat the hope expanders and I presume you must now be able to get 10 speed cassettes ready to go? Currently all on sram drive train if that makes a difference..

Simon

Sunrace MS3, very cheap and works well.

jam-bo

Best me to it. One of them. Bit noisy at first but quietens down when it beds in,

kayak23

+3 Sunrace

nickjb
    Free Member

If you are only wearing out the biggest cog then why not keep it swappable. Just use a cheap superstar instead. That said maybe you need a smaller front ring 😉

cp

As above, if it’s just the expander that is wearing, then why do you want to change to a 50-60 quid cassette which you’ll have to replace the whole thing when the 42 wears? Rather than just buying another expander for £29.99

Superstar have been out of 42 expanders forever.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a video on the Absolute Black website explaining how to choose the correct chainring (they’re talking about single chainrings but the concept is valid): basically you should be doing most of your riding in the middle five cogs, a bit less in the next cogs out (3 & 8), less in 2 & 9 and hardly any in 1 & 10.

I’ve just got the Sunrace cassette recommended above, not even fitted it so can’t comment on quality or longevity.

cp

I’ve also just realised that the MS3 is all steel, so should theoretically be more robust. Tis a heavy thing though!

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’ve just got my second MX3, running an XT mech. I’m also adding the RAD cage, hoping that it improves shifting and longevity. The worn cassette is going on another bike where I imagine it will stay for a few years.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Sunrace MX3. Better shifting and ratios than XT+expander, IME.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best 10 speed cassette with 42t "built in"?’ is closed to new replies.