• This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by m360.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best sub £30 front light for some midnight freeriding….
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

Anyone got any reccomendations? Thinking ones with those Cr 2032 would be ideal as if you run out you just replace batteries on the spot? 🙂 Looking for mainly a long runtime and high brightness, want to put it on a Cove STD…

scaredypants

Best – “mini vibrator for office use” ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thinking ones with those Cr 2032 would be ideal as if you run out you just replace batteries on the spot?

If, of course, you happen to be carrying some 2032 batteries with you…..

Ease of use/replacement – Something with AA batteries. Otherwise, look for something USB rechargeable.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Those ones are really compact, could easily fit a hundred in my bag without noticing they’re there! Where as the AAs are quite heavy?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

AA batteries are available in any corner shop. 2032s?

scaredypants
    scaredypants

well, now you’ve spoilt the title, …

freeriding, with a disposable cr2032 light?? 😯

spud-face

I always avoid Cr2032 powered lights as you need new batteries every time, as opposed to having half a dozen aa/aaa/18650 that can be rotated and recharged. ’tis the wastefulness that bugs me more than the cost.

As per usual – what do you want it for? If just to be seen when on the road then On-one have got some sets for a fiver that’ll do (as have all the other e-shops no doubt) – if you want something powerful enough to draw a cock’n’balls on the moon then check out the What Lights megathread that’s never more than a page or two away. Also, there’s some torches on the classifieds now (I am not affiliated, just observing)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

well, now you’ve spoilt the title, …

freeriding, with a disposable cr2032 light??

Agreed.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve made it quite clear that I don’t know what I’m talking about which is why I asked for some advice! Thank you SpudFace, was checking the runtimes on the CR 2032 light and they just can’t match that of the AA ones. I’m trying to find one that bolts on, thinking that’ll be much more secure than those straps (have a cheap off brand one with). And I know the title might sound silly to some of you but OP is serious!

spud-face

To get you in the right mindset, try taking whatever torch you’ve got lying around the house and go for a walk somewhere without streetlights and the like – it’s amazing how little use your average torch or bikelight is. The first time I ordered from Deal Extreme I got a couple of cheap lights that seemed blinding when playing with them in the house, but were absolutely useless for cycling through the woods at any speed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OP, your title has changed rather dramatically.

“Freeriding” with 2032 battery lights? You clearly either don’t know what “freeriding” means, or you’re suicidal! If you plan to ride off road at night, the bare minimum would be a decent 500 lumen light, such as this;

However, if you intend to shred some gnats out there, you need well over 1000 lumens. At least.

2032 battery lights are for idiots who want “cheap” lights, rather than ones that will allow them to actually be seen on the roads. Not for anyone who actually wants to see where they’re going, either on or off road.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Thank you both of you, your advice was very, very, very helpful! I thought it best to be specific on the purpose hence me changing the title. I’ll look for a 1000 lumen+ one then, thank you!

spud-face

no probs. here’s the lights thread – i’ve not looked at it for a while but work backwards and you should find the right info for various price points

akira

Cateye volt 1200 might be a good place to start.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They will probably put some big floodlights up if they are going to do rampage at night or do you mean hitting some local trail with jumps? Any cheap light with enough power will do.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

maybe a set of s/h lumicycles?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

ebay has 1200 15watt cree lights for around 20 notes.

cookeaa

Try these

They’ll melt an owl at 50 paces, the chrager will also melt and burn your house down, and the reclaimed laptop batteries may or may not last more than half an hour, but in terms of illumination they will easily beat attempting “Midnight Freeride” illuminated by this:

chrisr1983
    Free Member

You could bet the c&b seen 1000 lumens jobby for ~£30 – it’s a nice light.

m360
    Free Member

the bare minimum would be a decent 500 lumen light

Yeah, because none of us used to ride at night before 500-1000 lumen lights became available 🙄

z1ppy

and the real relevance to the thread of that comment is? Yeah cause when I was a lad we used ride by candle light & was real men 😉

C&B seen single XML is nearly on budget (£35) and they should have a decent battery and support. That said they are not the best light, being very spotty but are bright and reasonably usable (preferable as a pair)
    I’d be wary of the Solarstorm X2 on this budget, unless you can get a decent supplier who will support the unit (via amazon?), you going to need a battery from somewhere else and that’s another £30 minimum.
    What I’d do is stump up the extra £10 and buy a Torchy Oriole, as he has a good reputation & this setup 2x XM-L T6 is a known quantity (SSX2 basically but butt ugly).

m360
    Free Member

The relevance is that it’s not actually the bare minimum for night riding. That’s all. Then again, I don’t believe that 650b is the bare minium wheel size, or 140mm is the bare minimum fork length, so no one’s gonna take any notice of me anyway 😉

Saying that, the C&B seen lights in your link do look better than my candles and seem good value (I get through a lot of matches). And my skin has gone a funny orange colour as a result of all those carrots 😯

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best sub £30 front light for some midnight freeriding….’ is closed to new replies.