Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bespoke/Handmade wooden furniture
  • jonb
    Free Member

Stretching the limits of STW knowledge here.

Looking to get some furniture for a new house and we would like a few pieces of bespoke and/or hand made furniture.

The main things are bedroom furniture so wardrobes, chest of drawers, dressing table and bed. And dining room furniture, a table and chairs.

Looking for hardwood, fairly classical so it won't date too badly but also with some artistic character.

Found this on the interweb but he's in the US but the table is almost exactly what we are looking for.

Anybody able to recommend anywhere that may be able to help?

woodsman
    Free Member

google Stewart Linford – not cheap though

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Will Lutsz and Steve ? used to make really nice stuff in Bristol… All reclaimed wood and stuff… No idea how you may find them though? They had a workshop just off picton street in Montpelier(spelling).

FFJA
    Free Member

http://www.philipbastow-cabinetmaker.com Also loads of great riding in the area! Have a holiday and check out the furniture..

antigee

if near peak or visiting there is a company Alpine Reproductions that has a "showroom" in a shed at Hope Garden Centre (the one with the climbing/caving shop) – they have a factory up the road on aston industrial estate – bought some of their nice solid pine stuff and they advertise will make to order – stuff on display is pine but says in leaflets do oak

i would say bespoke rather than handmade but good value
    odd opening hours 01433 621 800 no website

stompy

I'm a cabinet maker myself. I generally work to commission, designing and then making furniture to the clients specifications (which are sometimes rather obscure!!).

Where about's are you based??

Big-M
    Free Member

Try http://www.partnersinwood.co.uk Lee is a great guy, he produces some really nice stuff.

tang
    Free Member

if youre near gloucestershire
    http://www.auspiciousfurniture.co.uk/index.html

really nice work and a nice guy.

jam-bo

goodwood cellars in exeter. down on the quayside. made us a lovely bed.

teagirl
    Free Member

http://www.artistdesignermaker.co.uk/furnituredesignduncancopley.htm

Duncan's stuff is amazing, a true artisan. Spread the word. Based near Ulverston.

fivespot
    Free Member

Had a few things from this guy http://www.wildwooddesigns.co.uk/

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

check brimak out

my son works there and they realy do take great pride in their work

Megatron

my parents have had a few things from Treske (based in Thirsk) might be worth a look? clicky

MrNutt
    Free Member

drop me an email, Project Management of fine bespoke furniture is what I've been doing for the past three years, I may be able to help?

rOcKeTdOg

have you tried "Fetters", their website probably isn't safe for work though, think clooney in "burn after reading"

tails
    Free Member

Hi I design furniture (although I'm currently working in a more architectural based position) I could certainly do you some drawings both visual and working drawings. I also know a few good cabinet makers.

Bespoke furniture does not come cheap but the makers generally back up their product. The above image would be reasonably easy to produce with the exception of what looks like inlay and that could be a french polished top. But spray polishing gives a great finish as does wax.

My personal email is Ands43 @ hotmail.com if you would like any more info.

If you can budge on the bespoke there are a number of choices I would start with Cassina and Russel Pinch would be up your street.

br
    Free Member

stompy – you needed to show at least some designs and/or work you've done – but I guess you are a craftsman, and not a salesman 😉

MTT
    Free Member

I'm going to pick up some furnature (for a relative) from here on Tuesday. She already has loads. If you have any specific questions just ask.

nickegg
    Free Member

MrNutt – Who do you work for if you don't mind me asking?

I work as a technical designer for a bepoke fitted furniture manufacturer down here in the west country….Halstock Cabinet Makers nr Yeovil. We're involved in luxury/top of the range stuff in London (Russian billionaires etc!).

Nice to see some of you work in the same industry, makes a nice change from all the IT type stuff so many seem to be involved.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

If you're in the North East, I might be able to help you out, or point you in direction of people who can, depending on taste/budget/timescale. I was going to post a few links to people elsewhere in the country doing good stuff, but there are already some a couple of good suggestions there of people I know/have been involved with in the past, and I'm sure more will follow.

Best bet is to start off by visiting someone local to you as a start, go over what you know/think you want and go from there.

jonb
    Free Member

I am indeed in the North East. Slightly surprised by the amount of answers and people who offer help. I'll look into some of the webistes and may get in contact with a few of you. Only just started down the buying path so won't actually need any of this stuff for a few months.

Thanks all.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

can reccomend this guy
    Austin Neves

Tel: 01433 670213

Glan Noe, Hope Rd, Edale, Hope Valley, Derbyshire S33 7ZB

druidh
    Free Member

* shakes head *

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bespoke/Handmade wooden furniture’ is closed to new replies.