• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by scud.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Berlingo multispace owners.
  • olly2097
    Free Member

Anyone use a multispace for bikes etc?

I’m looking to buy a cheap one. Namely the 2004-08 mk1 face-lift.
    Everyone I’ve spoke to has slated me for it but hey!

Ideally a modutop.
    Air con seems scarce??? Do you boil without it?
    Is it good for two bikes in the back?
    Which engine? I prefer dervs. 2.0 or 1.6, both have same power???
    Forte or desire? What’s the difference?
    Anything else to look out for?
    Also looking a similar age partner combis though they never seem to have the modutop…

Ta.

trail_rat
    Free Member

desire is 1 up from base spec rarely has aircon (infact im not sure you can even spec it)

forte a bit posher often has aircon and armrests

2 bikes in the back is what it was built for – easily swallows 3.

the 2.0Derv would be my choice from a reliability stance – 1.6 has maintainance issues

Look out for rear stub axles(the bearings colapse and the top of wheel starts to sag inwards- youll see excess wear on inner edge of anything bar a brand new tire and steering leaks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

also why do you want modutop – they make it a pain to get complete bikes in so youll probably want to take the front wheel out or youll end up breaking the modutop (if it isnt already broken – be sure to test it well)

Junkyard
    Free Member

two bikes in the back is very easy indeed
    Four is hardly a struggle they are massive

No air con is only really an issue if you are not moving – when moving its ok but not brilliant

Engine is under powered* but relatively economical

* doe snot really accelerate bit shit in the steep hills of the lakes but gets up everything

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

mine is a regular desire, no aircon, but does have aircon and all the modutop stuff.

2.0HDI, very van-like to drive. agricultural is how i would describe it.

when i ws looking the 1.6HDI could be found in a lower ropad tax, i think, but those engines need religiously scheduled oil changes with the correct oil.

one bike in the back on issues with rear seats up, 2 very easily with rear seats down.

kayak23

I’ve had my 2002 1.6 multispace for years now.
    It’s just the best car ever.

I couldn’t give a toss about speed but it’ll happily cruise fully loaded at 80 all day.

I’ve taken mine on two 3-week long Euro road trips. 3 of us, 3 bikes and camping gear.
    Spot on.
    I fitted it out for each trip with a false floor and bike stands and also a roof box to keep the tents away from the bikes.

They’re just brilliant utility cars.
    The only thing I’d change is to make the load space a foot longer.

You can get average bikes in with wheels on diagonally, but not straight. Front wheel off for that.

Why anyone drives anything else I don’t know… 😀

orangespyderman

mine is a regular desire, no aircon, but does have aircon

A Citroen Schrodinger? 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

They’re just brilliant utility cars.
    The only thing I’d change is to make the load space a foot longer

Which is pretty much what Citroen did for the mk3 as well as slightly wider

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

2005 Modutop here. Had it since new and it’s a brilliant mobile shed for bikes. I can get one bike in with wheels on, two with the front wheels off.

i_like_food

2002 facelift 2.0 Hdi here. Brilliant car.

Echo points made above, easy 3 bikes with front wheel off. I don’t have Aircon and it seems fine to me in the UK.

I’d definitely recommend one.

scud
    Free Member

Had a 2.0 HDi Peugeot Partner Escapade for ages, never going to win any style awards but brilliantly practical.

I mostly run it with double seat in rear taken out, so can fit 3 people, 3 bikes complete, camping gear and a lot of Belgian beer (as i found out recently) in there.

Engine is pretty economical, comfortable for long journeys and despite engine size, cheap to insure as most owners are 87 or mobility users.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Berlingo multispace owners.’ is closed to new replies.