• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by IA.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Berlingo Buying advice – S/H 3-4 grand ish budget
  • grumm
    Free Member

Are people happy with them – anyone have any words of wisdom, things to look out for etc? It seems the HDI ones are the most fuel efficient. Anyone tested if the claimed figures are about right?

Anything else I should be looking at as an alternative?

Ta

DickBarton

I loved my Mark 1 and when the time comes for me to replace my Bravo, I'll be getting a s/h Mark 2 as it's got even more space…it was a great vehicle – complete non-looker (and I was regularly mistaken for a taxi!) and also got a few commetns about being special needs but for practical stuff it's superb…open boot, throw whatever it is you have in, close door and drive…no probs at all…really very good…only issue I had with mine was it was too short for me to sleep in in the back…the new version is longer and I should fit!

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers – do you know what year the Mark 2 ones started from?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Berlingos are 'Sally Gunnell'- cars, ie. great runners but aint no lookers. And as Dick says you will get the occasional comment from the unconverted. I've had mine for 4 yrs from new and I wouldn't change it for anything else, unless I was going to buy a new one.

No issues at all with mine and cheap as chips to run even with dealer servicing.

Perfect MTBer car. Fold down the seats, throw in the bikes, away you go- bobs yer aunties live in lover.

For 4k I would recommend the 1.6HDi and go for the one with the internal roof storage & roof bars (I can't remember if its the Desire ??)

DickBarton

Mark 2 came out last summer I believe…

aP
    Free Member

I think the (mk3?) came out about 2 years ago, we had a 51 plate mk1 and it was great – very cheap to run and when finally traded in retained a surprising amount of money.
    We had the 1.6 petrol as the only diesels available were gutless 60hp versions – however, if cruising along it wasn't too bad for fuel (~35mpg) but at hurrying along pace it would use 55 litres in 300 miles (~25 mpg).
    In about 18 months we'll probably look to replace our focus estate with a new shape mk3 version, almost certainly with a decent sized diesel.

DickBarton

This is what I call the Mark 1 –

I had this until I rolled it down the side of a hill after skidding on black ice.

This is what I call the Mark 2 –

As far as I know there wasn't an inbetween model, the new version is based on the C4 Picasso floorplan so is bigger. I'm happy to be proved wrong though, so if my info is wrong, sorry.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

At least 2 models before yours Dick.

(from Honest John)
    Originally released 1998, re-released in UK 2000 with the rear sliding doors.
    Facelift relased 2003.
    New model 2008

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i think

aP
    Free Member

Possibly – however you've shown the facelifted mk1 with the new nose and interior (I might compromise on mk1.5) the original was based on the ZX floorplan (again I'm sure someone will be along to prove me wrong as well!). I do agree with the new version being based on the C4, and it being bigger than the original. About 18 months ago I priced up a new Berlingo – it was frightening how much it ended up at, but they appear to have reduced somewhat in price now.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Lobby knows what he's on about. You might be able to get a 2.0 diesel for 4k? That's what I've got and it's a pimp wagon.
    Cycling – related decals are essential for differentiating your Berlingo from the Berlingo of an old person. Fact.

DickBarton

Cool, I'm happily correct with that info, thanks…

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

*slaps self continuously for being a berlingo geek*

IA

"it was frightening how much it ended up "

I have a new one, it's also amazing how much you can talk down the price from list!

Old ones had an update when they gained rear sliding doors. The engines had an update toward the end of the life. 2.0 diesels seem to have been the best ones, aside from the ones that have the newer type 1.6s like the new ones. I have the new 1.6 90hp HDI and it's a great engine.

Also look at partners (same car, might find a good one) and vauxhall combo vans, they do a version with seats and windows in the back.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Berlingo Buying advice – S/H 3-4 grand ish budget’ is closed to new replies.