Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Berlin: artists and dog eggs…. (eine Hasstirade)
  • alpin
    Free Member

edit….. sorry for the lack of RanDOM Capitils and Speeling mistakes

—————————————————

spent the weekend in Berlin with friends as one of them was turning a year older.

nice enough time, but i am always so relieved to leave that place….

people often seem surprised when they ask me if i like Berlin and my response is “no”.

not only are the roads and pavements in a right mess, but there is dog shit every 20 yards that you have to gracefully dodge, homeless piss-heads hold open the doors to the cash machines and expect money for their service and the place is full of “artisits” and people with an alternative lifestyle complaining that the place is getting too expensive.

met one guy at the party. asked him what he does. “I’m an artist”
    “cool”, i reply, “what do you do?”
    “I’m currently on MkVII of a project to create an everlasting bubble”
    “what?”
    “a box, a little like a microwave, that has inside it a bubble”
    “what? why?”
    “so that the bubble lasts forever”
    “but why?”
    “it’s like, an everlasting bubble”
    “but why?”

he couldn’t explain himself, but he did go on to say that it was really hard being an artist.

and then another guy i met was a “Klang Künstler”, or noise artist. we went on to explain that after four years of study he takes everyday objects and makes them play a sound, takes that soun and layers it over him playing the piano.
    he played a piece of his “work” to us. some grating noise that he had “created” by making a wind mill out of Ikea coat hangers with some broken up piano over the top.
    and the thing that got me was how serious every else was taking this…. it noise made me angry/nervous as it was so broken and disjointed. where as others were nodding in appreciation. WTF?

now what i do not understand is that these people expect to make a living from this….. and they complain that they haven’t any money. why not get a proper job or if that is too much for you produce something that people want to buy?

same with friends of ours…. social workers more or less. and they complain that they do not get paid enough and that they can only affor to live in Berlin. rubbish… you get paid peanuts in Berlin because it costs relatively few peanuts to live there compared to other (nicer?) cities.

if you don’t like it, change. do something more constructive where your potential earnings are higher. quit bleating about how unfair it is that friends of yours have nice things that you can only dream of.

Berlin seems to attract those that don’t want to work, don’t want to be part of main stream society. every tries to be so different that they are essentially the same.

i’m going to limit myself to two social Berlin trips a year. am there quite often for work, but i’m getting compensated for my anger so it’s more stomachable….

love Munich, hate Berlin.

cinnamon_girl

😀

avdave2

I’m currently working and staying at the Waldorf Astoria in Berlin so should be able to avoid the artistic community and the dog shit. 🙂
    While I don’t have an everlasting bubble in a box I do have a TV screen that magically appears in the bathroom mirror at the press of a button.

alpin
    Free Member

yeah, this was in Friedrichshain so was to be expected.

usually stay in West Berlin when working… not saying it is great, but it is an improvement. pavements still littered with dog shit, mind.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

are your friends artists or homeless pissheads?

alpin
    Free Member

neither…. one couple are both designers. the other couple, she is at a kindergarten, he is (at 32) now finished with his studies (social something or other) and is now looking for a placement where he can carry on as a student. think he is scared of the real world.

Stoner
    Free Member

designers artists and students?

A real boost to the economy then 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Does the klang künstler have anything on Soundcloud? Sounds like my kinda thang 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

it noise made me angry/nervous as it was so broken and disjointed.

it invoked a feeling. what do you want art to do?

alpin
    Free Member

Dez…. Strangely, I didn’t bother to ask…. 🙂

it invoked a feeling. what do you want art to do?

Stop?

andytherocketeer

haha

not been to berlin for a decade. was thinking of paying another visit.

agree about art, though… or “art” as I call it.

didn’t notice dog eggs, but then it pee’d with rain all day so we spent the whole day in checkpoint charlie museum.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Jeez, you sound like a right laugh OP. Would you rather the whole world was like Reading?

Are you Mark from Peep Show?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ha! Great to hear a rant once in a while.

I quite Berlin, but then I’ve always been with mates and never really noticed a lot of what you say..

Excellent !!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I love that something called a Klang Kunstler exists somewhere in the world.

Kunstler

*Klangs*

Edukator
    Free Member

Es klinkt nach Punks, ecten Klangkunstlern:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYWNd2fGhKo[/video]

alpin
    Free Member

jambourgie – Member

Jeez, you sound like a right laugh OP. Would you rather the whole world was like Reading?

have you ever been to Berlin? it is basically a high rise slum.
    i’ve been to Reading. Reading is nicer than Berlin.

@ Edukator… don’t get me stsarted on the lay about waster punks. one Sunday morning back in November there was some girl punk (about 25 years old) sat outside the tube station asking for money. i was on my way to work (bear in mind this was a Sunday). i gave her a piece of my mind, the lazy, cheeky fecker. she didn’t even know what i meant when i said “Arbeit suchen?”. boils my piss.

@ Omar… there are so many words that make me smile in German… korinthenkacker zum beispiel.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Berlin: artists and dog eggs…. (eine Hasstirade)’ is closed to new replies.