Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Berks/Oxon spoke tension meter?
  • weeksy

Anyone have one I can try for solving a wheel creak issue please?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not being funny but I doubt you need that level of precision.

Compare to other wheels by squeeze

weeksy

Just done that in the last hour, but not checked yet. Creaky as hell before that though. But would be nice to do correctly.

br
    Free Member

Any decent bike shop, probably 1/2 hour labour will cover it.

weeksy

I know that mate, I can drop in my lbs on Monday but I was hoping to try and learn myself but without spending £80 on a park tool for now.

I’m feeling a little begrudging against spending money as I’ve only done about 150 miles on the wheel since buying bike new.

cookeaa

Sure it’s not the freehub?

weeksy

Fairly, but hard to be 100% of course. I’ve changed cassette and no difference, removed calliper, swapped skewer, so it’s either hub or spoke. When I put spare wheel in its silent.
    The noise sounds spokey though, like when you get a new wheel and it creaks/clinks/pings.

fibre
    Free Member

What wheel\hub?

senorj

Bit of lube on your nipples ?

renton
    Free Member

I was going to say a bit of lube on the bits where the spokes cross and make contact first then if that doesnt sort it try lubing the nipples

singletracksurfer

I’ve got one. Bought one when on offer to encourage me to fix my own wheels. Still sitting unused. Anyway, I’m in Reading if you wanted to have a go.

weeksy

Hey 🙂

Thanks buddy, another local is seeing me right tomorrow arvo.

FWIW, the bike is silent now after some twidling of the spoke key, but i’d still like them checking to ensure it’s close to correct.

weeksy

NEVER ever EVER borrow a spoke tension tool !

Had to take my wheel to my LBS, it resembled a banana by the time i’d finished !

Oooops.

vinnyeh

Have you spent the last month working on it then?

weeksy

LOL nah, picked it up today…. 45 mins later i was spinning the wheel and it was hitting the frame on one side and bobbing up and down like a rubber duck in a bath !
    It was then i thought “Sod it… i’m taking to the shop!”

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Berks/Oxon spoke tension meter?’ is closed to new replies.