Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • bent wheel… should i be worried…?
  • alpin
    Free Member

ok, so i was dicking about today and cocked up a relatively easy step down (albeit on quite steep terrain) beacuse i was going too slow and the saddle was rubbing my spinchter. whilst falling towards the ground in a mangled mess i manage to sort of sit on the rear wheel and bend it so that the tyre was rubbing on either side of the stays.

i spent the next 30 mins with a beer sat by the river truing the wheel. it is now true, but sits more to the left, i.e. not central.

how much twiddling can the spokes take? i'll loosen off the left-hand side and tighten the right in an attempt to rectify it. it does however now run truer than it has doen in ages (not so much side-to-side play) so should i just leave it?

spoke tension is higher on the right-hand side than the left. i thought it should be the other way round if the wheel is sitting to the left.

answers on in on a postcard

genghispod
    Free Member

Spoke tension will be higher on the right; this is due to the lesser dishing necessary to accommodate the gears. You have the right idea, either loosen the left or tighten the right, or both. Be careful not to overtighten though.

alpin
    Free Member

okeedokee…

yeah, i've built wheels before so know the prcedure, but they were for the fixie so no dish either side.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘bent wheel… should i be worried…?’ is closed to new replies.