Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bent rotor
  • opusone
    Free Member

I’ve got a bent front rotor. It’s somewhere between pretty bent and very bent. 2 questions:

1) Would it account for brake squeal and lack of braking power? I bled the brakes and cleaned the rotor this week so it’s not that, and the pads look fine

2) Is it worth trying to true it – I just had a quick go and didn’t get very far – or should I just bin it and get a new one? It’s a shimano bog standard thing rather than anything expensive.

thejackal69
    Free Member

What in the world would make you ever think a bent rotor wouldn’t cause a problem?
    If you can’t straighten it fully then the obvious thing is to replace it. The Shimano rotors are decent quality and fairly cheap, so just order one and replace it, no messing.
    It would spoil my riding not having a properly working front brake, aside from slightly dangerous.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s somewhere between pretty bent and very bent. 2 questions:

If it turns cleanly it’s hardly bent at all.
    Adjustable spanner to tease it back into line.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

1) I don’t think so

2) yes, with a spanner as Mike said.

I’d get rid of it if it couldn’t be straightened. I hate the pulsing you get from a bent rotor.

otsdr
    Free Member

If the wheel turns one full rotation, it’s not bent enough.

Also, I don’t see how a .5mm deviation on a flexible steel thing would cause pulsing.

Rorschach
    Free Member

1) No
    2) Yes

opusone
    Free Member

What in the world would make you ever think a bent rotor wouldn’t cause a problem?

1) There’s no such thing as a silly question. If you don’t ask, you don’t learn.

2) I didn’t ask whether it would cause a problem, but whether it would cause the two specific problems I mentioned. Given the responses from others, it would appear that it was quite a sensible question.

3) So there.

opusone
    Free Member

PS – thanks everyone else. It turns with only a little bit of rubbing. Eyeballing it, I reckon it’s between 1 and 1.5mm out of alignment at the worst. I’ll spanner it – I was fingering it before – and see if I get further.

wwaswas

I’ll spanner it – I was fingering it before – and see if I get further

I’m sure Swiss Tony would have words of wisdom to impart on this course of action.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bent rotor’ is closed to new replies.