Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bent rear derailleur hanger.
  • sevenandnine

Hi All,

Wonder if you can help me here. I fell off my bike yesterday, standing still, but clipped in I went over the side and cracked the rear derailleur onto tarmac.

Now the chain jumps all over the place on the largest two gears at the back, regardless of what ring im on at the front.

Im not very mechanically minded, so forgive me but is this something I could rectify without having to go to my insanely expensive local bike shop? Its a Shimano Deore XT 772 Shaddow. Heres a pic of the damage.

Heres a pic of the damage

Thanks!

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

do you have a photo from the back of the bike?

Taff
    Free Member

is it the mech hanger or mech itself that has bent?

Mister-P
    Free Member

It does look like the back of the hanger has been pushed in towards the wheel and twisted. But as Jimalmighty says a picture from the rear would help a lot more.

seosamh77
    Free Member

derailleur hangers are a pain in the arse, i’ve spent a few quid on them over the last few year, snapping them left right and centre, if they get bent these days i just tend to bend them back, just grab the derailler and bend it back into shape… i’ve tried taking it off and bending it back but it doesn’t seem to work as well as i say though..

works fine on my bike, but mind you i accept no responsibilty if they bends your frame in any way, don’t think it will mind but still.

foxyrider
    Free Member

They are really really easy to replace. just undo the 2 bolts , replace hanger after cleaning threads and frame then screw back in with some loctite if you have it! If you Nr Exter I’ll do it for you 🙂

If it looks even the remotistly bend – bin it – trust me just get a new one and replace it (from experience) 🙂

Looks like a Kinesis Mech hanger?

sevenandnine

Thanks for your help guys. @ foxyrider, no I’m in Essex but thanks anyway.

Heres a couple of pics from the back (scroll down). Not brilliant quality I’m afraid.

More pics

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Whip your hanger off and lie it on a flat surface, it’ll soon become apparent if it’s bent. Don’t even try to straighten it, get a new one. If you want to bash it flat, go ahead, and keep it as a spare.

It’s cheaper than a new mech, anyway.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yeh good point Scott!

Del

difficult to tell anything from those pics. sight along the jockey wheels and see if they form a line and are parallel to the cassette. the eye is surprisingly good at picking up on angles and things that aren’t square.
    unfortunately shadow mechs have an additional ‘hanger’. the flat bit of plate from where it bolts onto your frame hanger, towards the parallelogram, is sacrificial. they have holes drilled in them iirc – sort of ‘tear along the dotted line’, and it may be that bit that is bent. these are not available as spares ( or weren’t when a mate tried to get one last year ).
    TBH, if you’re not too sure about this stuff, then you’d best put it in the hands of someone who can show you how.

sevenandnine

Thanks everyone…off to the menders then…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bent rear derailleur hanger.’ is closed to new replies.