Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Benjis Prophet article in issue 50
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

What does it say?

Stu_N

Buy the mag and read it. QED.

z1ppy

or read the open one in the shop..it’s nothing earth shattering.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the shop is shut hence asking here!! What did it say?

z1ppy

not sure they’d want me to say having been moaned at by chipps once, for asking the results of a single review in of another magazine on the <previous> forum, but I know I’m glad I didn’t buy the mag to read it.

geoffj

Ralph ygm

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Hopefully without giving the whole article away, he played with geometry. As I’ve posted many a time before (sorry to be a bore) my Prophet is running a 190×44 shock (originally a 190×50 Swinger 4-way with stroke reduced by TF), but teamed with 130mm 36s for a short travel, 4X feel, the BB is way too low in the FR position, but it all works out nicely in the XC one (pretty much the same as a std Prophet in the FR posi). Took it to the Kona Mash Up at Afan this weekend and it was really good (but I reckon a standard Prophet would have been just as good). I don’t think its worth the hassle to be honest, the only reason I did it is the muppet I bought the frame from had fitted a 200x57mm Roco air shock with a blown rebound and I had the 190×50 Swinger spare. The tyre scuff on the seat tube showing clearly that a 170mm travel Prophet is a no no!

What’s your reason for wanting to try a short shock?

Hairychested
    Free Member

My Prophet came with 200X50mm air shock. As stock. 150-ish mm at the back wheel.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Correct, all Prophets except the SL came with 200×50 air shocks giving 140mm travel (or 150mm if you go by the 3:1 ratio). The SL came with a 190x44mm shock giving 120mm (or 132mm if you go by the 3:1 ratio). I think RR is toying with the idea of a 190×44 shock to change the feel of his bike, either through geo or less travel.

z1ppy

what the axle to crown length on those 36’s Dusty?

Pieface

Basically he said it was nice as an experiment for silly steep stuff. Otherwise a waste of money. Should be right up your street.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Z1ppy, they are 515mm (30mm less than the 545mm as std at 160mm travel), Pikes are 517mm.

Si
    Free Member

*sniggers

Doug
    Free Member

200*57mm shocks are fine as long as you don’t try to run them in the FR setting.

z1ppy

m8 has some 140 fox flots on his SL and it looks way slack (it’s too small a frame for me to try), though I haven’t noticed what position he uses on the swinging arm.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

I reckon he’d had a go in the FR posi Doug, hence the tyre scuff!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Benjis Prophet article in issue 50’ is closed to new replies.