Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Benitez punted by Inter Milan.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

He still owns his house in Liverpool. I couldnt possibly get my wish and see him return to manage Liverpool could I?

binners

As a United fan I sincerely hope so. Just so I can watch him spunk the new owners money away like a drunk sailor in a brothel. Same as he did with the last lot 🙂

MrSparkle

Bet he’s crying all the way to the bank.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well considering that he was more successful as a manager at his time at LFC, than Arsene Whinger, I doubt he could do any worse than Woy…

binners

Well considering that he was more successful as a manager at his time at LFC, than Arsene Whinger

Eh?

Sorry Fred. I must have missed the Premiership wins. How many have you won again?

The Fat Spanish Waiter happened to be manager when Stevie G single-handedly won a champions league final. Other than that, he achieved………?

This always makes me laugh

Liverpool Squad Down To Four Players

trailmonkey

Benitez was always likely to struggle at Inter. Huge boots to fill at a club recognised as being a major contender for the title every season. Totally different conditions to being at Liverpool and Valencia where getting beyond the recognised favourites was a bonus not a realistic expectation.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Must have been a different final that I watched. Could have sworn that Smicer and Alonso scored goals.

binners

They may have done, but Gerrard dragged that team along with him in the second half. He was immense that night. He won that match. Not Benitez. It was Rafa’s team selection that left you three down by half time

mashiehood
    Free Member

oh dear this thread will turn into a ‘who’s won more’ soon. As a neutral I thought Benitez did a great job with the resources at his disposal. Signed some great players (as well as bad ones but name me a manager who hasnt signed a few bad players)

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Another way of looking at it is that he got Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan to win Champions League Winners Medals.

mashiehood
    Free Member

binners – you were defo watching a different match – it was gerrard who gave way to hamman in midfield to stop kaka running riot. gerrard switched to right back and it was a combination of stopping kaka (hamman was immense) and some great passing by alonso that worked for pool.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

BREAKING NEWS: Rafa is off to Newcastle.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Binners; In his time as LFC manager, Benitez won more honours than Whinger did in that time. Aresnal haven’t won owt since FA cup 2005, where they beat Man U. Benitez has won the CL, FA cup and Euro Supercup.

It was Rafa’s team selection that left you three down by half time

And what was Bacon-Face’s excuse when your lot got battered by Barça? 😉

Blackhound

Wasn’t most of the Liverpool team that won CL bought / developed by Houllier?

surfer
    Free Member

(hamman was immense)

+1

Binners you do realise that he spent a relatively small amount of money, in net terms?

Sorry Fred. I must have missed the Premiership wins. How many have you won again?

None under Benitez but lots and lots overall. I think the point is that Benitez was slated whilst Wenger has achieved almost nothing for 5 years.

timc
    Free Member

Gerrard got us to Istanbul though! that’s for sure!

steve_b77
    Free Member

He’ll do really well on the ‘toon with naff all money to spend and a couple of unruly players to handle 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’d welcome Rafa back right now. Woy’s had his chance.

In fairness though; Rafa wanted to sign players like David Villa, and instead had to make do with Robbie Keane. I think Rafa did a pretty good job with what he had, really. Not sure what other manager could have done any better, really. Look at Scolari at Chelsea for example; top squad, but couldn’t make it work. I wouldn’t say Big Phil’s a crap manager though…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Binners you do realise that he spent a relatively small amount of money, in net terms?

what £122 million to 2009 is relatively small?
    Wenger made a profit of £22 in same period – Chelsea more spendingman u less – offset by £80 million for Ronaldo
    It is a great scouse myths that he did not spend much

from own fabs site re Fergusson
    http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2010/10/rafa-benitez-vs-alex-ferguson-transfer.html
    overall but only to 2009 he did have a net profit 09-10 of £7 million ish
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6888955.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

He got lucky re euro cup and not a great manager IMHO though the scousers – even the mockny one- loyalty to this under achiever is admirable if misplaced.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He got lucky re euro cup and not a great manager IMHO

Personally, I don’t think Benitez is the best manager around, but he is a good one. His record with Valencia, against the Spanish big two, proves this. I’d say he’s on a par with Wenger really.

As much is it pains me to say it, Bacon Face has created a dynasty second to none in English football, bar Shankly. Respect to him for that.

Rafa’s spending has been eclipsed by Man City in just the last couple of years.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

One positive I could see of Rafa going back would be that it could persuade Torres and Reina to stay. Negatives – he blew a lot of cash on dross, far more than people think as Junkyard and Binners have shown – and now the resources are far less. Didn’t seem very keen on the academy and bringing through players either. Having said that last season was some fall from grace as the season befor they pushed Utd very close. But for Ronaldo being on fire and some dodgy decisions v Spurs they’d have prpbably won the leage. Funny old game.

sc-xc

Face it. Liverpool are mid table. We (Albion) are aiming for mid table. It’s all good, but let’s not pretend they are a big club.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Liverpool are a huge club. Leeds are a big club. Everton are a big club. Just so happens that none of them are very successful at the moment.

sc-xc

Liverpool are a huge club. Leeds are a big club. Everton are a big club

This is a huge club…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

he blew a lot of cash on dross

It’s true, Aquilani, Voronin and Dossena being three prime examples. But then, he was particularly unlucky with some players; Babel was hailed as a real talent, and was a decent youngster; Keane just seemed to lose it (he’s still crap now, so nowt to do with Benitez); Morientes was a class striker before he came, and others failed to live up to expectations, whereas Man U seem to have a new youngster playing every week! Granted Benitez did seem to ignore the academy players.

But he brought Alonso, Reina, Torres and Mascherano to Anfield. It’s unlikely the two who remain will stay unless a miracle happens really.

Had Benitez had the funds to add to players like those, I think things would have been a lot different. But when you want the likes of David Villa, and the board say no and make you sign Keane, then things are going to be difficult. Hicks and Gillet were the problem,far more than Benitez.

Mourinho is looking uneasy at Real. Take note, JW….

muggomagic

Liverpool are a huge club.

No. Liverpool were a huge club. They have a small ground compared to the big clubs in Europe. No money and no chance of challenging for the top prizes. They have great European history, but so do Sporting Lisbon, Celtic, Nottingham Forest etc.
    I hope they get some investment from somewhere and become a footballing giant as I grew up watching those great Liverpool teams dominate the championship and Europe. In the meantime I’m looking forward to seeing them at the new home of football, the Amex community stadium, next season.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

elf – his scattergun transfer approach did of course mean he signed some good, no great, players. It’s the myth that he never had as much to spend as the rest of the big four that I find hard to deal with – he could have spent better. Not sure Villa would have wanted to sign even if he’d been backed.

Acquilani was the biggest mistake. Panic buy basically since he peed off Alonso by trying to sign Gareth Barry….lol, Gareth Barry or Alonso!!! He did do well at Valencia, no doubt about and proved he could build a team, but old ‘bacon face’ as you like to call hime, fairly got under his skin! Mourinho there…now that would be interesting!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Mourinho there…now that would be interesting!

Couldn’t stand the arrogant wossname when he was at Chelsea, but as a manager he’s won the CL twice. Leagues in different countries. Loads of other cups.

He’s also expressed an interest in returning to the Premier league, and has in the past expressed his admiration for Liverpool.

Sadly, I think the likes of Citeh have fatter chequebooks to wave these days…. 😥

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Muggomagic – did you miss the Liverpool take over then?

trailmonkey

Look at Scolari at Chelsea for example; top squad, but couldn’t make it work.

This is the problem with our game. Scolari had less than a season at Chelsea and for some inexplicable reason he’s figured to be a failure because he didn’t immediately win the treble ( this is someone who has won the WC and was a runner up at the Euro FFS ) . At the same time, the same poster is holding up Shankly and Fergurson as managers who should be feted. Fair enough – once you factor in that both had time to actually achieve something. Murdoch financed football and its’ fickle, win everything now followers are what has killed our game.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No you misunderstand me, trailmonkey.

I wouldn’t say Big Phil’s a crap manager though…

That’s the bit you missed out. 😉

As a slightly bigoted old dinosaur once said; football’s a funny old game…

Avram Grant took Chelsea to a CL final, something Mourinho din’t achieve there. Granted (!), he took over Mourinho’s team, but he din’t do too bad. Considering his achievements at Portsmouth and now West Ham, I don’t think anyone would consider him a ‘great’ manager. Possibly proving that having a squad of top players to play with is half the job done. Will Mancini achieve owt at Citeh? Time will tell. It’s not looking all that great so far.

Murdoch financed football and its’ fickle, win everything now followers are what has killed our game.

Sadly, this seems to be the case now.

And Man United are the biggest corporate willy-suckers going. Of that, there’s no doubt.

Prawn sandwich anyone?

muggomagic

The big take over! It would have been easy to miss. See you in the championship plastic scousers.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t be silly muggo. You’re being very silly. Twill be awhile before the mighty Liverpool will be playing Brighton, unless it’s youse beating us in a Carling Cup match of course… 😳

Northampton Town ffs. Rafa would never have allowed that…..

Kunstler

Oh dear.

I would very much hope not to see Mourinho back in the premiership. Thirty seconds of ‘charisma’ preceded by ninety minutes of stop start disappointment. I fear that if he fails at Real – which looks likely as the fans are used to better entertainment, then the desperate for success teams with enormous finance (hmm… would that be Man City then?) will snap him up.
    Benitez inherited a side, as did Dalgleish once. I enjoyed watching them achieve their successes. You really can’t compare Benitez to Wenger. Euro super cup? Really?

Now Harry…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You really can’t compare Benitez to Wenger. Euro super cup? Really?

No; Champions League Cup. AKA European Cup.

A trophy no Arsenal manager has won. Ever.

So yeah, I think you can compare Benitez to Wenger, actually.

Whinger’s won sweet Football Association for five years. Probbly won’t win owt more than the Carling Cup this season, if he’s lucky.

Benitez has actually won two Euro Supercups actually. To be in a position to compete for them, you must first win either the CL or the EUFA cup/Euro league thing. Which Wenger hasn’t, has he? Oh, and Benitez has won the World Club Championship thingy too.

Head to head, they’re fairly even. Benitez’s success in Europe might give him the edge, if you ask me.

(Can’t find a pic of Arsene with Ol Big Ears, for some reason…)

muggomagic

You’re right Fred I was being silly. My judgement last evening was clouded by several pints of Stella. I can be such a dick when I’m drunk.
    I was going to say we might meet in the 4th round of this seasons FA cup, but then I realised you got Man U in the 3rd round.

surfer
    Free Member

what £122 million to 2009 is relatively small?

But even using your reference it only amounts to circa 70m! and in comparison with Ferguson he spent circa 22m more.
    He is slated for spending HUGE amounts of money but your reference indicates pretty typical for a club with premiership and European aspirations.

Kunstler

Whinger’s won sweet Football Association for five years. Probbly won’t win owt more than the Carling Cup this season, if he’s lucky.

Yeah, you may be right, although the title race is very open.
    Even though they haven’t won anything for a while, their football is beautiful to watch and it seems to me that they have a greater recognition for that now than they did back when they were winning. Of course I see how these two things might be related but Wenger’s football ‘philosophy’* marks him as different to most managers.

I like to be entertained and the only thing better than seeing Arsenal in full flow is to see them in full flow but being beaten by Spurs 😈

* Hangs head in shame at resorting to using overstretched cliche.

Junkyard
    Free Member

surfer

However, an analysis of the spending habits of the ‘Big Four’ since his appointment in June 2004 shows that the Spaniard has outspent Sir Alex Ferguson by £80m. Furthermore, when money raised through player sales is taken into account, Benitez’ net spending dwarves Ferguson’s by £95m and only Chelsea have spent more on player recruitment during the same five-year period.

you should have used both links as the Pool one is slightly more flattering!

Head to head, they’re fairly even. Benitez’s success in Europe might give him the edge, if you ask me

The invincibles for one thing …player off in the final + penalty was unlucky only a scouser/idiot [ you are both] could rate Benitez on a par with Wenger – well for EPL managing.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

only a scouser/idiot [ you are both] could rate Benitez on a par with Wenger – well for EPL managing.

I’m not just talking abut the EPL though am I? I’m talking about their records overall.

Pretty even tbh.

I am an idiot though, this much is true.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Benitez punted by Inter Milan.’ is closed to new replies.