Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Bengal cats – anyone have one?
  • legend
    Free Member

*sigh* if I must

CountZero

Some truly beautiful cats here, I really love the spotted ones. Apart from my cat allergy, there’s no way I could contemplate having a Bengal; I live in very close proximity to two very busy roads, there are any number of local cats and next door has yappy little dogs and an aviary full of noisy cockatiels and other small birds. Not that they’d be at risk, or that I’d object to my own cat terrorising the unwanted visitors, but I’m pretty sure the hairy, yappy little rats next door would provide a tasty snack between meals for a grown Bengal or Savannah.
    Which would make life much quieter, but the neighbours might be a bit miffed… 😆
    [edit] Dammit legend, that’s just too cute for words!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Some truly beautiful cats here, I really love the spotted ones. Apart from my cat allergy, there’s no way I could contemplate having a Bengal; I live in very close proximity to two very busy roads, there are any number of local cats and next door has happy little dogs and an aviary full of noisy cockatiels and other small birds. Not that they’d be at risk, or that I’d object to my own cat terrorising the unwanted visitors, but I’m pretty sure the hairy, yappy little rats next door would provide a tasty snack between meals for a grown Bengal or Savannah.
    Which would make life much quieter, but the neighbours might be a bit miffed…

Bengals are often ok for people with allergies and plenty are kept as indoor pets, the ones I’ve seen that are house cats lead perfectly happy lives provided there’s enough entertainment. So maybe one day…

Awaits comments regarding suggesting keeping a cat indoors.

Cougar

From http://www.bengalcat.co.uk/security.htm

1. Keep your Bengal indoors.

Drac

Teach your Bengal to come to its name.

Giggity!

Cougar

*well-trained pussy joke*

CountZero

I couldn’t bring myself to keep a cat, let alone a Bengal, cooped up indoors all the time, it just wouldn’t be fair.
    Unless the cat chose to stay indoors, which would be it’s own choice, not mine.

Cougar

Generally,

Indoor cats are happy as indoor cats, and outdoor cats are happy as outdoor cats. What they don’t like is change; taking a cat that’s one way and suddenly making it the other will traumatise it.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

[img]http://[/img]

Valentino, he is about 6 months here.

sturider

[/url]
    054 by Yorkshirebiking, on Flickr[/img]

Brother & sister. Flint & Fleurie.

sturider

[/url]
    148 by Yorkshirebiking, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]
    112 by Yorkshirebiking, on Flickr[/img]

shredder
    Free Member

Lilly the STW classifieds cat RIP

Grrrr

Fishpus
    Kitten

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Some great photos keep them coming 🙂

shredder
    Free Member

If I must and last ones
    Caution pictures may contain extreme cat violence !

PJM1974
    Free Member

Excellent kitteh related posts here. Other than discussing what tyres to use for a particular location, the internet’s main selling point to me is as a repository for cat pics.

We’ve two Bengals, Fergus and Fitch. Ours are rescue cats, we didn’t set out to find pedigree cats, we just went along to the cat rescue with the aim to bond with a cat and bring it home, Fergus and Fitch are a pair and we hit it off from the get go.

Ernie will hopefully be pleased to read that Fergus and Fitch are incredibly docile and so far we’ve been spared the dead wildlife. They both seem to get on with our existing ginger tabby and Fergus is probably the most laid back cat I’ve ever met.

Fitch is very intelligent and is into absolutely everything. They’re both vocal cats, Fitch especially so if anyone is near the fridge. Although it’s incredibly bad for them, Fitch will do anything to get at cheese.

gary

Mine would love to be a streetwise hunter but shows little aptitude, so I just get a very vocal greeting when I get home after scheduled feeding time!

He climbs and jumps to a scary degree though (must be down to about 6 lives)

climb

Jump

And if there are no trees to hand …

helping with the decorating 1

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie will hopefully be pleased to read that Fergus and Fitch are incredibly docile and so far we’ve been spared the dead wildlife. They both seem to get on with our existing ginger tabby and Fergus is probably the most laid back cat I’ve ever met.

I am very pleased to hear that PJM

It certainly counters the allegations made by some on here concerning how particularly aggressive Bengals are towards other cats and wildlife. As I said I can’t understand why anyone would want a particular aggressive and obnoxious cat as a pet, or even want to boast about it.

Perhaps it was just bravado and bluster wrapped up in a little bit of trolling by the cat owners concerned, and Bengals are nothing like the picture painted by some on here – let’s hope so eh?

Cougar

Perhaps it was just bravado and bluster wrapped up in a little bit of trolling

If anyone could identify that, I’ve no doubts it’d be your good self.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I can’t speak for other Bengal “owners” (how can you own a cat? Such a ridiculous notion – we’re staff!), but ours are pretty much normal moggies but with a teeny bit more character, nothing murderous or antisocial to report. They’re intelligent and thus they need stimulation, but the same is true of many other breeds – or even individual moggies out there.

Cougar

(my first ever) Wunundred.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As I may have kicked off some of the stuff….

We lived on a farm when we had ours. there were several bigger cats that were in charge for about a month then Olly restructured to organisation. The other cats stayed well out of our garden after that.

We got him as a rescue after someone had kicked him and his brother out.

He never got above small rodents really though he did look at the sheep a couple of times.

Some of his best moments
    During the winter we found his tracks over a mile away.
    His bed was by the aga which he loved, he ran up to it one day when it was off and threw a right strop.
    He would let himself into the bedroom and try and get between you in an attempt to steal all the duvet.
    The door opening was something a bit special/annoying
    When we rehomed him to some friends they came to pick him up – the only comment was f’me he’s huge.

The agility was amazing to watch.

Every so often the tiger did come out

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Couldn’t resist one more

globalti
    Free Member

ALL cats, not just Bengals, will defend their territory. The first territory is for eating, sleeping and playing and is the most strongly defended, that tends to be the house. The next is the hunting territory, which can be the garden and a couple of neighbours’ gardens. The third is the ranging territory, which can be amazingly extensive. We have seen our cat waay up the street and across the fields.

And other cats can be just as intelligent and enterprising – we used to have a Tonkinese, which was so human-orientated that you’d swear it had human genes. Very noisy too.

We have a 9 y.o. cat now and have just bought a kitten, the older cat is a bit miffed about the invasion but is slowly getting used to the occasional playful attacks. The kitten is absolutely mad and quite aggressive; she will stalk and attack me or Gti Junior and if I want to get Gti Junior out of bed I simply open his door, chuck the kitten in, close and wait. He will be down for breakfast about 4 minutes later as the kitten in the bedroom is the feline equivalent of a fragmentation grenade.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Some great photos.
    Gary that ‘jump’ one is brilliant, I have seen a Bengal before with a dark nose cool cat.

gary

I have seen a Bengal before with a dark nose cool cat.

To be fair, he is “presumed bengal” based on characteristics and comments from people who know the breed as he came from the Blue Cross without much information. He is very cool though.

corroded
    Free Member

I, for one, am heartened to see that the nation’s cat owners are embracing the task of ridding suburban gardens of untidy native songbirds, slow worms, frogs, toads, small mammals and even, by the sounds of it, bats and pestilential ducks.

I distinctly remember, when I was about eight, there being a nest of robin chicks cluttering up our garage. We had been watching it for weeks so imagine my relief when eventually the neighbour’s cat cleared it up. I wondered whether Mr and Mrs robin would hang around but we never saw them again. Phew!

So, perhaps when you next cuddle your feline friend, give it an extra tickle as a ‘thank you’ from me.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

[img]http://[/img]

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Ernie. I understand your concerns, in no way is our cat agressive to other cats…he’s a big wuss where other cats are concerned although he will chase off any dog that gets too close! He has decimated the local bird life, but as we’re in town 90% of his kills are wood pidgeons, which to be honest im quite happy with as the drive is no longer covered in their guano from the roosting tree which overhangs it.
    I used to breed cats as I said before. They were kept inside and were content, living long and healthy lives. We now dont breed the cats due to time constraints and decided that any cat we had would be rescued, The Bengal cross gets on very well with all our other rescues, is certainly not agressive to other cats in any way. He is very athletic and loves to climb, and his curiosity leads him everywhere…..

Just chill Ernie…..or i’ll send him round.. 8)

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Bengal cats – anyone have one?’ is closed to new replies.