Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Bengal cats – anyone have one?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

🙂 I said that did I King-ocelot ? I said that every cat other than a Bengal is a little angel ?

It is clear from the contributions on this thread that many owners believe that bengal cats are particularly destructive and violent.

Or did I misread that ?

johnners
    Free Member

a cat which according to this thread, terrorises other cats, damages neighbours roofs, “decimates” local bird life, kills budgies, ducks, Koi Carp, the list goes on

I think that list applies to most cats ernie, I don’t know if Bengals are really worse than others.

I love cats, but I’m not so keen on irresponsible owners turning them loose on wildlife.

Cougar

Not all cats are outdoor cats.

titusrider
    Free Member

ernie stop trolling its not attractive, if anything this thread is helping to inform that only those people with the right attitudes and circumstances should get a bengal

ps I WANT ONE!

pps i do not have the right circumstances

Jamie
    Free Member

… turning them loose on wildlife.

Circle of life innit.

JoB
    Free Member

… turning them loose on wildlife.

“Smithers, release the Bengals” does have a certain ring to it

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…this thread is helping to inform that only those people with the right attitudes and circumstances should get a bengal

Absolutely. People who are ok if their cat terrorises other cats, damages neighbours roofs, “decimates” local bird life, kills budgies, ducks, koi carp……. the list goes on.

I now know that I would never want a bengal. I also know that since they are apparently so destructive that I want my local council to require licenses for them. I shall check what the situation is locally.

BTW try to come up with something a little more original than the trolling allegation when you don’t agreed with someone 💡

wilhay
    Free Member

OUr cat Mia is Half Bengal (F4) and half Serengeti ( massive ears) she is fantastic fun. She plays fetch, used to sit when instructed. is definitly the boss cat in the area and has done more than her share of decimating teh local wioldlife, including lizards, frogs, baby rabbiots, pigeons, birds, slow worms. We dont let her out at night or early morning any more..
    She quite often plays with my three year old boy. chasing each other from one end of the house to the other .
    Very very vocal. high maiintenence, but i would have another like a shot:-)

johnners
    Free Member

Circle of life innit.

No, it’s not.

beanieripper
    Free Member

ernie your a racist to cats! so funny. Terrorise, haha it’s not a tiger you know just a itty bitty cat.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I now know that I would never want a bengal. I also know that since they are apparently so destructive that I want my local council to require licenses for them. I shall check what the situation is locally.

Why not appoint yourself as kind of a local neighbourhood watch for Bengal owners. Surely if it’s taken a thread on a mountain bike forum to make you aware of the horrors these wild beasts are inflicting on society (rather than them be a news worthy item) it needs someone to stand up control this problem? Im off terrorising tonight with my Bengal lock your doors people.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m sorry King-ocelot, are you saying that the punters who have been boasting on this thread about how destructive their Bengals are have been exaggerating ?

Well I suppose you could be right, but it seems a rather strange thing to do wouldn’t you say ?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

No I think you need a bit of perspective.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I am using the perspective which has been offered on this thread. Apparently they are particularly aggressive towards other people’s cats and local wildlife. I’m glad to hear you admit that it’s not an exaggeration.

EDIT : Actually I’m not.

Jamie
    Free Member

No, it’s not.

Yes it is.

RustySpanner

Can I enquire if any children of Bengal owners have had their innocent ickle faces ripped off by these vicious pets?

havinalaff
    Free Member

Beautiful amazing cats.

However having one in a built up area with lots of other houses around is not fair to your neighbours. They are known for killing pretty much anything that moves, being noisy and generally making a nuisance of themselves.

I would love to have one but only if I lived in a suitable location. There was one living up our street and it was a nightmare, into peoples houses through their bedroom windows, terrorising or killing their pets, noisy and a royal pain in the ass.

He was gorgeous but antisocial and as such the owners had to get rid. Not fair on the neighbours or the cat.

The cat will do whats natural to it!!! Owners should be responsible for those actions.

But like I said I’d bloody love one…. just not here!

Cougar

It’s a shame that trolling on the Internet doesn’t require a licence from the local council.

Still, you’ve got your wish ernie, you’ve managed to deliberately derail what was a nice thread full of cute pictures. You must be very proud.

beanieripper
    Free Member

im a bit worried about ours, it taken to wearing a red bandanna and reading guns and ammo….

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    I’m very much a cat lover Rusty Shackleford.

And like many cat lovers I wouldn’t want a cat which according to this thread, terrorises other cats, damages neighbours roofs, “decimates” local bird life, kills budgies, ducks, Koi Carp, the list goes on, apparently.Tremendous, pleased to hear it!

They’re an intelligent, active, playful cat and exhibit their natural cat-like tendencies accordingly. I don’t think our Bengal has ‘decimated’ the local wildlife than our old b&w moggie did. He was another intelligent, active and playful cat.

I’d think twice about bringing the ‘scourge of the savage bengal’* to the attention of your local council, for two reasons. Firstly, there’s nothing they could do (as-per the previous defra link) even if they wanted to, which, lets face it, is doubtful. Secondly, you’ll come across as a bit of a desperate nutter. Each to their own though.

*edit: sounds like a Sherlock Holmes mystery!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

🙄 How have I “derailed” this thread Cougar ?

You mean by having an opinion which might not be the same as yours ?

Bengal owners are perfectly free to carry on boasting how beautiful and destructive their cats are.

Report my post if you think me having a different opinion is “derailing” the thread.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Secondly, you’ll come across as a bit of a desperate nutter. Each to there own though.

I’m touched that you are worried that I might come across as a desperate nutter ….that’s so kind ! 🙂

But don’t worry mate, I wouldn’t do anything without contacting the cat protection league and local nature conservation societies.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Barnaby

Pigface
    Free Member

Now we are arguing about cats 😆 i love this place.

titusrider
    Free Member

I keep writing a considered response to Ernie and deleting it.

bugger off Ernie

Cougar

You can roll your virtual eyes all you like Ernie, I’m not getting pulled into an argument with you.

It’s not about a different opinion. It’s about trying to provoke a reaction from people. You’ve seen a bit of hyperbole from posters and taken it as an opening to try and wind people up.

I’ve seen plenty of parents talk about their kids in a similar fashion to some of the comments on here; maybe you could pop onto Mumsnet suggesting that all their toddlers are licensed whilst you’re at it. See what sort of a reaction that gets you.

You can differ your opinions all you like. You don’t have to be deliberately inflammatory in the process.

And I’m not reporting anything. I can hold my own without running to teacher, thanks. Plus, there’s too many bans being handed out at the moment for my liking.

titusrider
    Free Member

Thankyou cougar

My brain is too fried from VBA today

legend
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    How have I “derailed” this thread

The thread is called

Bengal cats – anyone have one?

Meaing that your only relevant input would have been:

ernie_lynch – Member
    No

Cougar

Chapeau.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

bugger off Ernie

Well if people stopped posting comments directed at me then I would. I made my point in my first post, that would have been enough for me. But clearly some people have been outraged that I should dare to express an opinion which doesn’t conform with theirs. So I have posted several more times since.

Actually I find it rather bizarre that I have apparently touched such a raw nerve 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Just for you ernie, I’m sure this will shock you to your core:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And still they post stuff directed at me ! 😀

I think this bit is what might have touched a raw nerve :

“Do they fulfill a bizarre need among certain middle-class elements in the same way as dangerous and obnoxious dogs do among certain elements of the lower-classes ? “

I reckon that comparing pretentious middle-class wallies and their pretentious “pedigree” cats with chavs and their dogs is what did it. Am I right ?

nedrapier

Can’t say I see anything wrong with what Ernie’s saying?

Everything in life is a balance of personal priorities: I like the convenience of having a car. There are bad points about it: cost, maintenance, insurance, liabilities of various kinds, pollution etc, but overall, I’m happy that the bad outweigh the good.

I’ve thought about a van, but realised it emphasises all of the negative issues I have with the car, without contributing a great deal more on the positive. Not for me, thanks.

If Ernie said he thought it was socially irresponsible to drive a 6-litre V8 4×4 while driving a 1.1 punto himself, who’d have an issue with that?

nedrapier

bad timing, on the Ernie defence, there!

Still, I call “lively, sparring debate” rather than trolling. Maybe.

Wanting something “special, unusual and interesting” for the sake of the rewards of having something special, unusual and interesting, is hardly the preserve of any particular social group.

e.g. bikes et cetera. And there’s a lot of cetera.

NormalMan

I put it down to the fact all cats hunt, some (bengals, etc) are better at it than others.

Also a LOL at the way threads on STW end up.

legend
    Free Member

Sadly Ernie’s view (not directed at you Ernie so please don’t feel the need to respond) is based on some friendly banter on STW (which doesn’t stand for Cat Expert World last time I looked)

However, Mrs Legends parents are breeders (hence ending up with two) so here’s what I know from hanging out with bloomin loads of them!

Bengal males tend to be slightly bigger than normal domestics, females are fairly normal size.
    Temperament is very similar, they hunt just like any normal cat, some will always be better than others.
    Many of them seem to be hilariously clumsy!
    The are noisey when the feel like being chatty….. or you haven’t fed them as per that days schedule (only the cat knows the schedule)
    Terrorise other cats? There is always a bigger cat out there somewhere, there is always a pecking order in any neighbourhood
    As mentioned earlier – F1 and F2 are classed as wild, you do not see these as pets. F3 would be nice but you’ll pay silly money. By F4 you really just have a very pretty domestic cat that likes to make a little more noise than usual.

They will eat children (well someone needs to think of the children!) if one just so happens to look at moggy the wrong way*
    *this may not be completely accurate

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’m just looking at a Bengal owners club I’m a member of, nobody appears to fit in with Ernies stereotype. I’m certainly not middle class and didn’t chose a Bengal as a status pet. I chose him because I wanted protection in a bar fight.

bigjim

terrorises other cats, damages neighbours roofs, “decimates” local bird life, kills budgies, ducks, Koi Carp, the list goes on, apparently.

I think this applies to any cat, my back alley moggy cost a fortune getting patched up after fighting other cats, loved to sharpen her claws on the felt roof, brought goldcrests, treecreepers and a variety of other rareties into the house, enjoyed batting the goldfish as well as a variety of other endearing habits.

JulianA
    Free Member

Keep the pics coming!

footflaps

All cats eat wildlife. Our two rescue moggies take fish from the neighbours pond, bring home pigeons and decapitate them on the living room carpet. We were watching TV the other night when a live field mouse was thrown across the room and hid under the TV, had to rescue it and release it back into the wild….

Killer #1

George by brf, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Bengal cats – anyone have one?’ is closed to new replies.