Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Bengal cats – anyone have one?
  • NormalMan

We get ours bengal kitten this week. I wondered if any other STW users have a bengal cat or kitten?

Cougar

This Thread Is Useless Without Pictures.

NormalMan

Mine will be add once said kitten arrives! (friday)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Olly

Awesome blokey cat, sort of dog like at times – he fetched sticks
    Also a brutal top dog that asserted himself over the rest of the local cats. Fun friendly, demanding and LOUD so f LOUD. Rehomed now (we went to Oz) and much better now he has a cat flap. He was also long and could open doors when he wanted to.

Absolute tart.

legend
    Free Member

Got two of the buggers (both Snows) well 5 technically as one has kittens at the moment

wwaswas

Also a brutal top dog that asserted himself over the rest of the local cats.

Our vet says they’re seeing a lot of cats injured in fights with Bengals – apparently they like to have a large ‘home’ area and are very aggresive.

One had a fish out of our pond and was also having a go at our Guinea Pigs when they were in their run the other day.

Vet said they are closer to ‘wild’ cats than your average British Moggy.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Yep, I have one who’s about four months old and just brilliant, my folks also have three.

Best cats in the world.

legend
    Free Member

^ that is kinda the point in them. Most will be 4th or 5th generation away from an Asian Leopard Cat (1st and 2nd generation are classed as wild animals)

Mackem

Had one for 13 years. Eccentric as owt. RIP Sony.

beanieripper
    Free Member

We have a female that is now 1 year old, she is tiny and we were worried she would bet bullied by the 3 cats and labrador next door. We need not have worried, she is like a mini tiger, an absolute lunatic of a cat. Very gentle with the kids but has kicked the dog next doors arse despite being tiny, absolutely fearless.. Kills loads of mice and climbs up everything and anything. Had a cat or 2 most of my life but im my experience they are the coolest cats ever.

shredder
    Free Member

Had our first free of this very forum sadly lost her to a car RIP Lilly
    Then went onto get another
    A female (marble) house name Fish. Amazing cats and as said quite dog like fetch carry etc. Can go from being very clever to daft as a brush and is now making her self known with all the othe local cats ! But the range and volume of noise it can create is unreal !

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Would love a Savannah or a Bengal but I already have a fleet of cats, and Maine Coons take some feeding…

NormalMan

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming. Any suggestions for treats, etc. or other advice.

It started as a kitten for my daughter but I am won over just from our visits to see her. This will be our first cat but everything you have said about the breed are the reasons why we went for a Bengal.

As mentioned already I will add some pictures of Sienna once we have picked her up.

CountZero

Beautiful animals. If I had space I’d love one.

Keva
    Free Member

here’s Flora, nicknamed Spotts…

Crazy cat. Likes prawns.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Used to breed Siamese years ago and thought all the stories about bengals were just hype. We now have 5 moggies, one of them is 1/2 Bengal.

He’s a bl**dy liability!

Uses next doors roof as a look-out, its a 2 storey detached house and he climbs the guttering to get there.

Has decimated the local bird life 🙁 and ripped the new fascia and guttering off the corner of another neighbours house to get at the bats in their attic.

Is as loud as f***!

Brilliant BRILLIANT cat. Soppiest lump we’ve ever owned! 😀

wwaswas

ripped the new fascia and guttering off the corner of another neighbours house to get at the bats in their attic

“My cat attacks protected species, isn’t he great!” 😕

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Mines 6 now and has about 4 lives left. He is a liveable rouge, I have 2 other rescue cats and he is very much in charge. He is a big cat, and can be a handful. When I was between homes I had to stay at my mum and dads, my cat Valentino would sit ontop of the boiler and jump off onto guests, attack anyone entering the house. He plays rough, I buy him dog toys as cat toys don’t last long. He bullies my sisters Labradors when they visit and my mates staffie. Most embarrassing moment when he was playing with something in the garden, I looked to see what it was and upon holding it up realising it was a black thong and turning round to see my neighbour had her washing out and he had pulled stuff off the line, it wouldn’t be too bad if she hadn’t come outside at the exact time I was lifting her thong into the air. He’s a nutter but we love him.

ericemel
    Free Member

We’ve had 2 (now sadly one) Bengal Mainecoon crosses and my sister has a bengal – amazing cats – except when they start hunting – we were being delivered on average 10 rabbits a week, and they had to jump onto a 6ft wall to get in the window!

As well as someones budgie, ducks, Koi Carp the list goes on!

Love them…have fun 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

So would you recommend them as Pigeon control?

We’ve got 2 BSH cats and the woman next door keeps feeding the bloody Pigeons and our two just sit there and watch.

We’ve got a Maine Coon x kitten that looks like she might be up to the job but failing that it sounds like a Bengal might be on the list for number 4 😀

Edit, not a Bengal obviously but any excuse for cat pictures

ericemel
    Free Member

scaled

Your Mainecoon should be up for the job – a friend has one, albeit bloody huge one(paws are the same size as coke can tops…) and it is up for the job, it lives down in Corwall and doesn’t back down to badgers and I have witnessed it pull bats out the air. Scary hunter.

stanley

Two Bengal-Ragdoll crosses here…… Not an accident, bred like that on purpose!!

Now 14 months old. They are great; into everything, climb onto the house roof (in fact, they will climb anything), play in water, fetch thrown toys, square up to passing dogs, ‘chatter’ to you. They follow me everywhere; this can be a pain; at 8 months old I didn’t realise that they had stalked me almost all the way to the local pub… I found them waiting outside just after I left the pub!

They are almost inseparable and love being near people.

Super cats

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Non-Bengal but any excuse for a pic, little Will, he’s huge and the most athletic cat I’ve known.

carlosg
    Free Member

We were told tha our cat Tia was 1/2 bengal when we got her but she’s way too small , it was suggested by the vet that size wise shes more like an Egyptian mau and has similar markings (spots). Very similar traits to a Bengal but small and extremely fast , all I know is she’s absolutely bonkers and very pushy if she wants fussing.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

@wwaswas. Did I say he’d got the bats? No. Have I gone and repaired the roof making it safe for the bats to continue to roost and making it impossible for the exit/entrance to be damaged again? Yes. . . .
    your conclusion jumping is more impressive than the feline leaps described here.. 😉

Cougar

Incidentally,

Have you Bengal owners all checked with your local council to see if they insist on a licence for them?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/dangerous-wild-animals/hybrids-domestic-animals/

NormalMan

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

Here is Sienna a month ago (I had to add this as I couldn’t wait to till Friday to show her off)
    Although I guess she will have grown a bit by now. Her brother is in the background.

mogrim

Cool looking cats, “unfortunately” already got two kittens, if I turn up with another cat I’ll be sleeping on the sofa for next 15 years 🙂

Still really, really want a maine coon.

JoB
    Free Member

echo *most* of what is said above

picked up Tilly as a rescue kitten at he start of the year, very intelligent cat, will bring back her ball when thrown – and drop it at my feet if she wants to play and if she gets bored of that will drop her ball at the top of the stairs and chase it down, repeatedly, knows that when the grill is turned on that means toast, and when there’s toast that means butter, she will kill for a bit of butter, very very vocal, will frequently shout at me from the garden, and wake me up for breakfast, will eat anything, can be incredibly naughty but responds well to training

haven’t had any issues with bullying other cats, in fact she’s a bit of a wuss, and no problems with dead wildlife, just the odd dead rat

likes to ‘help’

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

Incidentally,

Have you Bengal owners all checked with your local council to see if they insist on a licence for them?They’re just domestic cats…they/you don’t need a licence.

scaled – Member

So would you recommend them as Pigeon control?Yep

legend
    Free Member

Any suggestions for treats, etc.

You really think your cat will ever do something that deserves a treat??

ericemel
    Free Member

Any suggestions for treats, etc.

A lazer pointer

Coyote
    Free Member

schrickvr6. What breed is Will?

Cougar

They’re just domestic cats…they/you don’t need a licence.

Did you read the link I included? Seems as though you’re right, but the local council still has casting vote on that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This has been a very informative thread, I had no idea that Bengal cats were so prone to terrorising and injuring/killing other domesticated animals and wildlife. Clearly no responsible owner would allow one out to roam freely, which like begs the question why the **** would anyone want one ?

Do they fulfill a bizarre need among certain middle-class elements in the same way as dangerous and obnoxious dogs do among certain elements of the lower-classes ?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Cat lover, ernie?

Cougar

No, troll.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Coyote he’s a maine coon.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m very much a cat lover Rusty Shackleford.

And like many cat lovers I wouldn’t want a cat which according to this thread, terrorises other cats, damages neighbours roofs, “decimates” local bird life, kills budgies, ducks, Koi Carp, the list goes on, apparently.

Are you surprised then ?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Every cat other than a Bengal is a little angel. Nice world you live in Ernie.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Bengal cats – anyone have one?’ is closed to new replies.