Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • benefit of a 9mm con' kit on hope pro II with RS SIDS? – also what model SIDS?
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

for my flux build i switched from the originally planned RS Rev RLT’s with 20mm Maxle to one of the new sets of 120mm RS SID RLT’s. (lighter fork, same money)

in order to restore an element of stiffness, i was looking at the idea of getting a 9mm conversion kit and running it with one of the superstar 9mm through-bolt qr’s

has anyone done this, and will it make an appreciable gain to the stiffness in the front end?… is it worth doing it on the rear too?

the rs website says that the drop-outs for the forks are 9mm, so i figure there will be no compatibility issues.

lastly… did i make a mistake changing from Revs to SIDS. I can switch up from SID RLT’s to SID RLT Ti’s for about £40 more… is it really worth it?

cheers

kimbers

stiffened up my 32 mm floats so of expect it’d do the same for sids

oh and the conversion will work fine and its very easy to do
    10mm one at the back bit harder to do and noticeable if you ride a bit leary or have a flexy back end

z1ppy

Have done both to my Superlight, mentally I felt the front end felt stiffer, but can’t prove it. Did the back end (bolt up rather than bolt thru QR) as i just could (Pro II) & thought the bike might appreciate all the help it could get with my weight on top. Didn’t run the back end with a QR so no idea how much difference it made.
    I’d definitely recommend running the front one though

Edit: SID’s are Rockshox pure XC forks, if your a whippet (or just not over weight) then there a great choice. For the larger amougst us Reba’s are maybe a better real world fork, especially with a 20mm maxle

mk1fan
    Free Member

I’ve switched to a SS 9mm qr axle on a set of Reba’s. I think it’s an improvement over a normal qr.

Del

i thought it improved the feel of my old qr revs. YMMV. have you checked the availability of the 9mm adaptors? i struggled to find them in stock when i was looking last year.
    why not just get the maxle version though? i wouldn’t go back to regular QR if only for the peace of mind aspect, personally.

ChrisL

You can get some models of SIDs with a 15mm Maxle.

campfreddie
    Free Member

unfortunately, i am budget driven and tied to what i can get from merlin (who are doing the build)… the jump in price to go to anything other than a set of Rev RLT 20mm Maxles (tuned down to 120mm) is just not really worth it.

i guess a pair of 120mm SIDs with a 9mm through axle conversion will be fairly stiff, very light and very plush, which is about all i could ask for a 120mm/100mm agressive xc bike (turner flux)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘benefit of a 9mm con' kit on hope pro II with RS SIDS? – also what model SIDS?’ is closed to new replies.