Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bending a cassette
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I swear my 11speed cassette SRAM is bent. When I clean the chain and turn it around I can see a wobble in it on each revolution.

It appears to happen to the whole thing and not just the upper rings.

Is this liky or just an optical illusion.

It’s a bit expensive to buy a new cassette if it is just my eyes playing tricks on me

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Freehub on properly?

transporter13
    Free Member

If the whole cassette appears to be moving then it suggests that the freehub bearings have play in them…you can normally feel it with the wheel out and gently try and wobble the largest cog side to side

Xylene
    Free Member

Will need to buy some tools to check that.

I’ve never taken a free hub off before

Xylene
    Free Member

It is only 500km old as well, has bugged me since breaking bike down and putting in bike box, maybe something in the loose free hub

mildbore

Could be an expensive fix. If it’s not skipping gears, leave it till dead?

wiggles
    Free Member

Could be an expensive fix. If it’s not skipping gears, leave it till dead?

or it could be a simple fix that will end up being expensive if not sorted now

mildbore

Yeah but my solution involves doing nothing which is always better

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Freehub bearings probably knackered

Xylene
    Free Member

It was skipping gears, and the shift is a bit clunky compared to the first time I rode it. THe lads at the local shop got it shifting again.

I will pull it off and have a look once I get some tools, just now it doesn’t bother me, I’ve not ridden it for two weeks, and only remembered about the wobble when cleaning the chain yesterday.

Now I am thinking about it, i get irritated.

dannyh
    Free Member

Freehub bearings. In my bike maintenance ‘journey’ I’ve always ended up chasing problems around and around until finally sorting it – drivetrain especially. Mind you, I started a “I’ve just knackered my brake by trying to push a sticky piston back in with a spanner and losing my temper” thread, so you may want to ignore me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Could be freehub/bearings but I have seen (more than once) cassettes fitted with the small cog on at a squiffy angle that then throws the rest of it out, and also cassettes with broken spacers causing the same thing.
    Check that first.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It could be the freehub body not being true on the hub. Lots of cheap freewheel hubs are like this, rare on freehubs.

Anyway, if it’s not causing a problem, and the bearings are ok…

Xylene
    Free Member

removed checked, all is tight

put the cassette on a glass table, appears straight,

checked freehub no play, wobble

put cassette back on bloody thing still looks bent when going around.

bolllocks

cp

Did you spin the freehub without the cassette on to see if the freehub wobbles (I don’t mean free play, just not running concentric??

A bent hub axle can cause this…

What’s the hub?

Xylene
    Free Member

Formula, 142x12mm, Alloy Axle, Quad Cartridge Sealed Bearing, SRAM XD Driver, 6-Bolt Disc, 32H –

Custom-cast quick-release Naild thru-axle dropouts with integrated disc caliper and fender mounts.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bent axle?

sillyoldman

I think the brand name Formula being involved points towards it being a shonky hub issue.

Ambrose

Mine sometimes looks like this too. I think it is just my perception though. The shifting ramps on the cogs create an optical illusion of lateral movement. I think and hope.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If it works ok, ignore it. Most cassettes look wobbly.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bending a cassette’ is closed to new replies.