Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ben Nevis this weekend – any locals about?
  • bros
    Free Member

Does anyone live near Ben Nevis? Me and some mates are planning the long drive up to Fort William tomorrow to add BN to our list over the weekend, but we don’t have ice climbing gear/skills. I know the weather is horrible, I’m not worried about navigation but do you think we’ll be able to hike up in normal walking boots etc?

Any thoughts welcome.

grum
    Free Member

Lochaber

Worth looking in the FB group Ground Conditions in UK Mountain Areas for recent pics/reports.

Sounds to me like you would probably still need crampons/ice axe. The tourist route up doesn’t involve climbing though. Even in non-snowy weather you need good navigation skills as there are big cliffs that need avoiding if the weather comes in.

gordimhor

Short answer no. I am 20miles away but there’s still snow on the hills around me which are a bit lower than the Ben

scotroutes

More snow expected too.

Drac
    grum
    Free Member

That’s mostly the bottom of the mountain you can see there Drac. It’s the top you have to worry about.

BoardinBob

Doesn’t seem that bad.

That however isn’t Ben Nevis. Ben Nevis is another 400ft higher

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

They haven’t unfortunately found the 2 bodies yet on The Ben, which kind of gives the assumption that conditions are not great.

Personally I wouldn’t go near it without winter Scottish experience, which obviously op doesn’t have from the questions being asked

Drac

That’s mostly the bottom of the mountain you can see there Drac. It’s the top you have to worry about.

Stay low then. 😉

bros
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I think a plan B might be in order.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Worth checking MWIS for an update before you drive north.

The forecast presently:

PLANNING OUTLOOK

All mountain areas of Britain from Thursday 24th March 2016

A change in weather pattern from Easter. Upland gales will develop on Friday Scottish Highlands, but otherwise a fine day. On Friday night and Saturday upland gales and rain (intermittently snow higher areas) – but the timing and focus of the most severe conditions is very uncertain. Areas of low pressure will drift about close to Britain next week, bringing generally showery and intermittently windy weather. Precipitation mostly snow Scottish Munros, mostly rain elsewhere.

I was up Ben Alder (about 50 miles(?) due east) at the weekend – lots of snow still up there

scotroutes

News just in; two bodies found.

BODIES OF MAN AND WOMAN FOUND, BEN NEVIS
    Following a report from a member of the public, the bodies of a man and a woman have been recovered in the Ben Nevis area this evening. Formal identification is taking place and the families of missing climbers Rachel Slater and Tim Newton have been informed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I went up Buchaille Etive Beag yesterday, which is lower, and there was lots of snow higher up and on the ridge. Didn’t need crampons or axes, and nor would the Ben Nevis path just now, but given the impending weather and the potential for difficult navigation on BN – including walking off the cliffs either side of the plateau – you might find that there are better days to do it in a couple of months.

martinhutch

On a sparkling warm spring day, with perfect visibility, it would be a lot easier. With westerlies coming in, bringing the possibility of whiteout or just reduced visibility on the plateau, I’d say it is probably one you should leave for later in the year.

The navigation from the summit to the top of the tourist path is not entirely straightforward in poor visibility and snow, with even a minor mistake bringing you close to areas with cornices and big drops.

It’s not a big mountain by Alpine standards, but the weather conditions can make it a pretty challenging place.

Apologies if I’ve underestimated your navigational skills, BTW.

jimmy

Plenty of snow up on BN last weekend. Very mushy so people were coping without crampons – the usual numpties in plimsolls were there, too. To be safe, I wouldn’t go without crampons. 2 years ago we had to help folk off because the snow had frozen into sheet ice – in the valley it was a glorious sunny day. Check conditions before setting off…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There are plenty of lower hills that are actually more appealing than BN tbh, it’s not the best of hills IMO.

philb88
    Free Member

If it’s anything but clear at the top and there’s plenty of snow about, navigating even the tourist path is tricky.
    If it’s covered in snow and you try and follow the footsteps you’re getting very close to rather big overhangs and cliff faces!
    I’ve been up in December in nearly white-out conditions at the top, and trying to navigate around is near-impossible. Not one of my brightest moves

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ben Nevis this weekend – any locals about?’ is closed to new replies.