Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ben Nevis / fort bill time of year.
  • flapjackforme
    Free Member

Planning on booking a log cabin in or close to fort William, to ride the tour de Ben Nevis route and other rides.
    Plus a walk up Ben Nevis itself. Want to book now, as nice places get booked up. So was wondering when to go early next year to avoid the harsh weather and snow. Don’t mind the cold so thinking end of feb/ early march.
    Anyone know if this would be a good time to go.

Thanks.

gonefishin
    Free Member

So was wondering when to go early next year to avoid the harsh weather and snow. Don’t mind the cold so thinking end of feb/ early march.

If you want to avoid the worst of the weather in the Scottish mountains then summer is your best bet, not winter and even then it’s far from a guarantee.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Total pot luck at any time of the year up there. I’ve been up every May for the last 8 years & had every kind of weather you can get, from blazing sunshine & 28 degrees to cold rain, sleet & gales.
    It’s great!

flapjackforme
    Free Member

Perhaps I should have said that I enjoy winter riding.
    Just wondered if anyone had experience of riding there at this
    time of year and knew if the worst of snow/harsh weather is likely
    to have passed by then.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You won’t be too bad on the TDBN route as it’s pretty hardpacked most of the way round, but it’ll be wetter than an otters pocket on any moors due to rain & snowmelt.

flapjackforme
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies esselgruntfuttock, think I’ll plump for early March.
    Next step, find somewhere for whiskey tasting!

rene59
    Free Member

Walking on Ben Nevis that time of year will be full on winter conditions with crampons and ice axe required plus the relevant winter skills to go along with them.

I suggest you look at some hill walking websites/forums for trip reports around that time of year to get an idea of conditions before committing to anything.

Spin
    Free Member

Walking on Ben Nevis that time of year will be full on winter conditions with crampons and ice axe required plus the relevant winter skills to go along with them.

This.

Barring a big dump of snow the TdBN route will be fine but the Ben itself will likely (hopefully!) be plastered feb/march.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Next step, find somewhere for whiskey tasting!

Good idea! Except the only whisky factory for miles is…..

http://www.bennevisdistillery.com/

However, the shop at Spean Bridge & the one on the roundybout (to Glen Nevis) have whisky shops & you can have a few snifters there.

Enjoy!

piemonster

If you want to avoid the worst of the weather in the Scottish mountains then summer is your best bet, not winter and even then it’s far from a guarantee. go somewhere else

HTH 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

“Drink not the whiskey of Nevis for it flows from the golden glacier”

as my china used to say, referring to the gigantic yellow stained snow patch that often resided behind the CIC hut.

yunki
    Free Member

The weather was mingin’ when I was up there at the beginning of June 8)

Spin
    Free Member

Which one are you yunki?

yunki
    Free Member

the good looking fella

piemonster

I notice your holding that fella tenderly on the love handles whilst he has closed his hand rather than clasping your shoulder.

yunki
    Free Member

I gave him a friendly little squeeze I admit.. Possibly what caused the tension 😕

😀

he had a very firm flank

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ben Nevis / fort bill time of year.’ is closed to new replies.