• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Sanny.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ben More Crianlarich
  • rbtferguson
    Free Member

Has anyone done Ben More Crianlarich on there bike and if so any particular route cheers I’m looking to do it next weekend

donald
    Free Member

I can’t help but you’ll probably get a better answer if you specify which Ben More you’re interested in, it’s a common name!

rbtferguson
    Free Member

Sorry Ben More. Crianlarich

donald
    Free Member

Ah right – I’ve walked up it from Stob Binnean and also from Benmore farm. There’s a track from benmore farm part way up the hill but it doesn’t go far. I don’t recall either route being feasible by bike but it was the 80’s and mountain biking wasn’t really around then so I didn’t give it any consideration.

Weather and ground conditions may well be a factor at this time of year.

km79
    Free Member

I wouldn’t consider it on a bike personally, but then my skills are not great by any means. I’ve walked it a couple times. It’s a fairly steep straight up walk, boggy in places and not really a path as such. When you’re walking up and looking back to your car in the car park, it doesn’t seem to get any further away, just lower down if that makes sense. I’d much rather do something like Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich or Ben Lawers on the bike.

rbtferguson
    Free Member

I done lomond and vorlich at Loch earn we are trying to see what munros we can do I wasn’t sure if Ben More was one for the bike several friends said it to steep and no path like climbing a wall

fergal
    Free Member

Really would be waste of a carry, Lawers and Vorlich are great options on a bike and fairly near to Crianlarich.

PS. yep 3000ft of steep relentless grassy slog.

rbtferguson
    Free Member

Cheers for that info just what I thinking aswell but mate is adamant it will be a good one lol

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for walked it and wouldn’t go back with a bike.

Got lost in a whiteout coming back down but it didn’t really matter because it’s basically just a big grassy, conical lump.

matt_outandabout

Not a great bike hill.

Please can we all calm down on Ben Lawers too – a couple of locals have told me recently we’re heading for some real issues with the volume of riders heading up, some really badly equipped, some ripping up bits of nature reserve and rare habitat up high. One local was abused for not moving off the path quick enough – in the ‘sunken’ path area of the nature reserve…..

Garry_Lager

Recollect munrobiker on here posted that Ben More wasn’t a goer.

ETA – This (excellent) thread here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2016-a-year-in-mountains

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I did a search for ‘Scotland’s easiest Munro’s’ which brought up a few potential candidates which are still on my hit list yet to be ridden! Ben Lomond is always fun though. I’ve got my eye on Ben Glas and the Munro Beinn Chabhair at the top of Loch Lomond I reckon that one would be good.

scotroutes

Have you seen the weather forecast for next weekend?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Please can we all calm down on Ben Lawers too – a couple of locals have told me recently we’re heading for some real issues with the volume of riders heading up, some really badly equipped, some ripping up bits of nature reserve and rare habitat up high. One local was abused for not moving off the path quick enough – in the ‘sunken’ path area of the nature reserve…..

Some dicks are walkers, some are on bikes, and I’d be surprised if there’s double figures of bikes up there even in the height of summer matt.

rbtferguson
    Free Member

Nope not checked it why is it a nightmare

munrobiker
    Free Member

The descent to the north isn’t a nice walk, let alone a nice bike ride!

There are rumours that descending to the south would be OK but there are better trails in the area.

Sanny
    Free Member

Interesting re Lawers. I can’t imagine that folk are riding off trail as there really is no benefit to doing it. If folk haven’t the right kit, that is their look out. There will always be folk out on the hills like that no matter which group they belong to. No need nor excuse for rudeness though!

What are they ripping up higher up? The path is so well trodden, I’d struggle to see how. Are folk heading off trail onto the grass?

As for Ben More, I have walked it from the south. I would do that but when returning via Stob Binean, I would head east onto the lower top to descend down. There is a nice section of singletrack on the lower top but the path then disappears. The Stob Binnean path is guff as it is too steeply eroded meaning that you have to stick to the grass.

Sanny
    Free Member
    Sanny
    Free Member

Beinn Chabair.

Not done it on the bike but walked it in the nineties. I fancy going back with the bike for that one. 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ben More Crianlarich’ is closed to new replies.