Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Ben Lomond – pics/experiences?
  • Kit
    Free Member

So what would be the most appropriate route? Up and back down the west side?

I agree with Goan on the erosion issue. I find it interesting what is defined at "responsible" and that there is both an individual responsibility and a collective responsibility involved.

Sanny
    Free Member

Ah the old don't ride the Ben debate.

Having walked and biked Ben Lomond over the years, I recall that it wasn't that long ago that the main path was some fifty to sixty feet wide in places as walkers decided to talk ever widening lines to avoid getting their boots dirty. The trail builders came along a did a lot of sterling work to address the problem. It should be borne in mind that this was long before mountain biking became as popular as it is.

What I have an issue with is the suggestion that a minority user group should self exclude their access as they are in some way more damaging to the path that has been constructed than the longer established and more vocal walking majority. The evidence as presented of increased damage by bikes is anecdotal. Can someone please point me in the direction of an independent study that says that bikers do more harm than walkers to a stone pitched trail surface? I'm happy to be proven wrong but I just don't see it myself. However, I am willing to have my opinion changed if the evidence is there.

Erosion is caused by many factors – not just by user type but by volume as well. When I last rode Ben Lomond in May when a charity walk was on (not by design but just coincidence), I saw no other biker going up to or down from the summit. However, there were hundreds of walkers on the mountain. Why are there no calls to discourage them from accessing the mountains? Is it perhaps becasue they are so well established and sure of there perceived rights that they may just tell you to go raffle yourself?

As for the second picture with the stonework and the assertion that no one would walk on it, I'm afraid the pithy resonse to that is "Bol*ox!" Are we really suggesting that if a rock can be dislodged by a biker, it couldn't be dislodged by a walker? Gie's peace!

Whether man is present or not, the mountains will gradually erode away over the millenia. While you might not like the scarring of human contact, there is no getting away from it. If you want to stop further human damage, surely you should be calling for everyone to be banned? Good luck with that approach – you may be better hitting your head off a brick wall! 😀

As for the ride itself, it's great. I've ridden it in the summer and the winter and it's always left me with a big grin on my face. Slow down for walkers and be polite and you won't get any hassles. Contrary to common perception, walkers love the outdoors too and will almost invariably be encouraging of anyone daft enough to ride down the side of a mountain. It's a great ride – just do it and smile. Oh and watch out for the jaggy rocks on the stone pitched surfacing – it could be bloody sore if you take a spill.

Cheers

Sanny (Member, East Dunbartonshire Access Forum)

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

It's not a mountain bike trail, so don't expect anything like the trail centres, but the descent is good technical riding. The only downside is that unless you're geared and like honking the ascent is mostly walking. Allow 3 hours to walk up :o(

We went up the path from Rowardennan, I think thats a South approach? Anyway, good parking near the youth hostel, and straight onto the trail.

You won't be disappointed if you're looking for big mountain.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Ben Lomond – pics/experiences?’ is closed to new replies.