Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ben Lomond descent – anyone cleaned the whole thing?
  • bullit
    Free Member

Did the tourist path down the Ben today and rode it all from the trig point down on my Zesty, bar the one big rock step /slab near the bottom in the woods – i think this slab has actually been named ” granny trap” . Took a good look at it but couldn’t see a way through, and gave up and walked down it. Just curious if anyone has ridden it and survived ? If so, how ?

legend
    Free Member

It’s been done, but folk around here got all upset about it 😀

scotroutes

Someone claimed to have done it but got upset when it was pointed out they’d actually rode down the hill beside the rock step.

Spin
    Free Member

That passage is significantly harder and more serious than anything else on the route. I couldn’t see how it would be done but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t or can’t.

Spin
    Free Member

Someone claimed to have done it but got upset when it was pointed out they’d actually rode down the hill beside the rock step.

That’s quite funny. Was the dummy properly spat?

legend
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

That’s funny as I don’t believe he ever posted in a thread about it anywhere.

EDIT: the original argument: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/grannytrap-on-ben-lomond-is-rideable

bullit
    Free Member

Ha! Cheers or the link to the previous thread Legend. Interesting , but the rider opened a can o worms there eh. On or off the “trail” fair play to him for giving it a go, it looked a no-go to me. For what it’s worth, the line he took in the pics seems to me to be the one quite a few of the walkers were taking on the way up today, rightly or wrongly!

legend
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, the line he took in the pics seems to me to be the one quite a few of the walkers were taking on the way up today, rightly or wrongly!

haha if only TJ and GW were still here to enjoy that comment! 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Did the tourist path down the Ben today and rode it all from the trig point down on my Zesty, bar the one big rock step /slab near the bottom in the woods

Isn’t there a little bit of uphill on the ridge near the top as you’re coming back down that’s kind of a scramble? I’d be impressed if you’d rode that.

Spin
    Free Member

That vid is pish.

Ah TJ. Gone but not forgotten. Or is he back? I’ve been away…

grum
    Free Member

Gah I’d completely forgotten about that ‘discussion’ with TJ – he really did come out with some hysterical nonsense. Can’t believe I bothered arguing with him. 😕

legend
    Free Member

That thread really is TJ by numbers! Nice to see tags getting well used too

theblackmount
    Free Member

Yeah – on a Bullit funnily enough 😉

theblackmount
    Free Member

I’ll qualify that.

I came on to the path @ Moin Eich. There was a bit of a brown trouser moment going through the section I assume you are referring to but I can’t remember dismounting at any stage to walk it. This was more than 10 years ago. I’d climbed the hill itself more then 10 years prior to that and I can’t recollect anything above the point I joined that would have had me off walking so I’m sure the entire descent must be doable.

I’d never go up the tourist path just to come back down – I’ll go down the Ptarmigan if I ever return.

mrplow
    Free Member

I remember a rock pinch point on the actual tourist path just as you come off the top, vid of people riding it please… 😛

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Ahhh, the “tag” ol’ days.

I thought the only “The Ben” was “The Ben” as in Nevis?

rosscopeco
    Free Member

OP…have been thinking about doing this myself over the last couple of weeks. Was there much snow / ice or is it all gone? I can see from my home that the Campsies are all clear but I’ve cannie see the Ben.

theblackmount
    Free Member

I’m sure someone from the GMBC will be along shortly to clear all this up for us – it’s their baileywick.

Spin
    Free Member

When I asked Sanny he wasn’t aware of anyone having done it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/album/2311644/video/52504600[/video]
    Up and Down, quite easy, all cleaned not sure what the fuss is about….

globalti
    Free Member

Ah, that slab just before the forestry was probably where I fell over and got covered in mud – I was walking!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ben Lomond descent – anyone cleaned the whole thing?’ is closed to new replies.