Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Belt drive setup
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is it possible to buy a belt dive drivetrain? Where? Cheaper is better

Rorschach
    Free Member

Cheap ain’t an option.At all.Give Tim at sideways a ring (and be nice).
    Assuming you already have a bike with split stays and ebb/sliders of course 😉

epicyclo

Rorschach – Member
    …Assuming you already have a bike with split stays and ebb/sliders of course

….and stiff chainstays

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Cheap ain’t an option.At all.Give Tim at sideways a ring (and be nice).
    Assuming you already have a bike with split stays and ebb/sliders of course

Yup, it’s a bomber!

Assuming you already have a bike with split stays and ebb/sliders of course
    ….and stiff chainstays

And the correct length chainstays for the gear ratio you want.

Gates is the only option at the moment and it’s not cheap. I can’t remember what I paid now, something like £50 for the front pulley, £25 for the rear pulley and £50 for the belt.

CycleMonkey in the USA are the only retailer I know of selling Gates belt drive stuff as aftermarket, not just as part of a complete bike.
    I think it’s available from Gates themselves as well.

epicyclo

CharlieMungus – Member
    Yup, it’s a bomber!

Raleigh Bomber? if so I doubt the chainstays would be stiff enough.

(I’ve thought about doing it to mine)

I was a bit out with my prices earlier.
    Just looked through my emails and it’s about £225 for a belt and two pulleys.

Use the Drive Calculator, bottom left here, to see what ratios are available for your chainstay length.

thepodge
    Free Member

There is / was a Taiwanese company doing belt drive too but not seen anything of them in a long time

Riksbar

Cheap belt drive you say?

How about this?

£229, although the wheelsize is not quite on trend.

Hard to tell from those pictures of the Belter, but I would guess they’ve adapted the cam belt drive from a car.
    I wondered if anyone had tried this as a ghetto solution.
    I’d like to see it tried on an adult bike.

thepodge
    Free Member

It says it’s a Gates in the text under the pic

Didn’t that city bike made from car bits have a belt drive?

Riksbar

Not sure about the auto-parts belt but I know it’s a fixie hub with a freewheeling bottom-bracket. They are also gorgeous. It’s bad impulse buying multiple bikes for yourself, but doing it for your kids takes it to a new level!

Gates make cam belts, so I’d guess that’s what it’s based on if the whole bike costs about the same as a CentreTrack system.

ratherbeintobago

Gates is the only option at the moment and it’s not cheap.

Continental is meant to be launching one.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Raleigh Bomber? if so I doubt the chainstays would be stiff enough.

(I’ve thought about doing it to mine)

It is, didn’t know the chain stays had to be particularly strong

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Why does chainstay length govern gear ratio anymore than on a chain bike?

thepodge
    Free Member

because the belt is a fixed length and tensioners aren’t recommended though I have seen 2 being used

thepodge
    Free Member

Doesnt look a bad setup on the kids bike

Because there’s a limited range of pulley sizes and belt lengths.
    You can’t just go up or down a tooth or take a link out to take up the slack.
    An EBB gives about 14mm of adjustment, so there is some leeway, but you still might find you can’t get the ratio you want if you are using an existing frame.

What ratio do you want ? 2:1 is common for SS
    What’s your chainstay length ?
    Put the numbers in here, bottom left. http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/products/overview/#

epicyclo

thepodge – Member
    There is / was a Taiwanese company doing belt drive too but not seen anything of them in a long time

Beltrans? I got a prototype system as a freebie from them about 10 years ago. It uses 8mm belts which I’ve found skip a lot more than the Gates one.

The flexiness of a bicycle creates lots of problems for belt drive which requires that the pulleys stay in accurate alignment, and Gates uses bigger teeth (11mm) presumably to counter this. Schlumpf were working on using a 14mm pitch belt, but the size of sprockets needed would rule it out for mtb use.

CharlieMungus – Member
    It is, didn’t know the chain stays had to be particularly strong

Very few bikes are built with chainstays that are stiff enough for the original Gates system (Pompino seems to be ok), but apparently if you inject expanding high density foam into the chainstay you can stiffen them up enough.

Doing a belt conversion is worth it if it works, but there’s a load of woe if you get it wrong.

Don’t let that discourage you though. One of the reasons I got the Bomber frame was to belt it. It’s of low enough value to do radical modifications such as weld on on a stiffener to the chainstay. It has the advantage of plenty clearance for a large front ring – which is often the killer for a belt drive conversion.

Mine is intended for a retro fatbike project, ie the fatbike they could have made back then.

BTW if anyone has an old Raleigh Bomber fork, I’m after one for some brutal modifications.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Mine is intended for a retro fatbike project, ie the fatbike they could have made back then.

Very similar idea here. For a fat bike for the beach and some dunes

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Belt drive setup’ is closed to new replies.