Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Belt drive parts
  • waliboy

Does anyone have any suggestions based on experience of where best to source gates belt-drive parts?

I found these to be cheapest when I last shopped around.

http://cyclemonkey.bigcartel.com/category/belt-drive-parts

They will also supply a Rohloff adapter on photographic proof of the hub serial number.
    UK dealers require you to send the hub back to Germany to have the adapter fitted.

waliboy

Cheers,

I’ve had a look on their website but sadly they don’t seem to have all the parts I’m looking for, specifically the 20t 9 spline sprocket. In fact I can’t seem to find that anywhere so I’ve emailed Gates directly. I also found belt drive kit on the Bikeman website which seemed a good bit cheaper too (although this could change when postage is factored in as they are also in the US. Any experience with them?

Having had a play around on the Gates tool on their website I think I will go for a 50t and a 20t with a 113t belt as it seems to be the closest I can get to my current chain set up.

I’ll see what I get back from Gates and hopefully will be able to get parts ordered soon.

That’s strange, not listing normal single speed pulleys.
    They don’t list the Rohloff adapter either, just a note about contacting them for details. I know they sell them because that’s where I bought mine.
    It’s worth contacting them. I tried to order some stuff once and one item showed as “not available in your country” for no reason. I emailed them and they sorted it out straight away.

Never heard of Bikeman before.
    That’s another thing that puts me off belt drive.
    Gates keep adding to the list of obscure low volume manufacturers offering a belt drive bike on their Facebook page, yet they go out of their way to make it difficult to buy replacement parts.

hegdehog
    Free Member

Doesn’t the frame need to be certified by Gates for use with a belt drive, so they restrict the supply of the certain parts?
    Something to do their sensitivity for throwing the belt if rear end deflection is too much?

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s certainly what’s put me off using belts on things. Loads of people ask about belt drive Bromptons. But the parts are a big hassle to get, and they’re supposed to test the frames before supplying them.

Plus, in general I think belt drives are a solution in search of a problem.

waliboy

Indeed, I’m not convinced it’ll be a real life changing moment but as I’ve got the splitter I’m going to give it a go and be positive about trying something new. Perhaps I will have to write some sort of disclaimer email to Gates promising not to get cross with them if it doesn’t work 😕

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Belt drive parts’ is closed to new replies.