Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Belstaff jackets
  • LeeW

I don’t normally post these type of threads but I’m looking for a new Jacket, I tired a Belstaff Racemaster jacket on today and it fitted perfectly, much, much better than any of my other waxed jackets – Barbour and Fjallraven.

Are they just a little ‘try hard’ for you average 41 year old? Are there any other alternatives – looking for a warmish short jacket with no hood. I have all the warm jackets I’ll ever need.

Are there any alternatives to the Belstaff? I do like my Fjallraven Greenland jacket, not over keen on the ones they sell without hoods though.

smokey_jo

Matchless do some nice ones

ton

mantaray from debenhams
    save yourself 150 quid.

http://www.debenhams.com/men/coats-jackets/mantaray

RustySpanner

They used to be a great value. proper old fashioned British company, making bike jackets that were cheaper and better than the Barbour International.

Belstaff, a British brand, founded in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire in 1924 by Eli Belovitch and his son-in-law Harry Grosberg – the name is a combination of Eli’s surname and his Staffordshire home. Belstaff became the first company to use wax cotton in the manufacturing of waterproof apparel for motorcycling.[2]

Not anymore, sadly.

In 2011, The Labelux group acquired Belstaff and repositioned it as a British heritage brand centred on luxury sportswear.[3] Tommy Hilfiger was brought in as a business consultant.[4] In July 2014, along with Jimmy Choo and Bally, Belstaff was fully integrated into its parent group JAB Luxury GmbH. JAB management now directly oversee the brand.[1]

Mind you, Barbour Internationals aren’t made in South Shields anymore either.

frankconway

+1 for Matchless.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I must dig out the ancient waxed cotton Belstaff I have in the loft of my parents old house – I used to use as a teenager when riding my motorbikes, no idea what it’s like now.

Having had a look at the modern Belstaff’s though I’d much rather go with a Barbour.

Northwind

Yeah, I had a couple of brilliant Belstaff riding jackets, post sellout I sold one for about 10 times what I bought it for (I’m pretty sure it sold for more because it had authentic crash damage). People are weird.

Gunz
    Free Member

I reckon any item of clothing that would be immediately associated with Steve McQueen would only make a middle aged man look ‘try hard’. The Barbour one is a lot cheaper.

PMK2060

I have the Belstaff Racemaster. Bought it half price last summer. I like the look and fit but don’t think I would pay full price. I am also 41 btw.

RustySpanner

Barbour have really pushed the wife beating actor connection.
    They have a whole range of overpriced, cheaply made fashion tatt with his name on it.

They still do the proper Inter jacket, but as I said, no longer British made, even the ones with a Union Jack sewn on.
    🙄

I like waxed cotton jackets, great for grubbing under cars and general abuse.
    But a Barbour these days seem to be aimed at braying bores in Twickers car park and I’ve not seen a motorcyclist in a Belstaff for years.

How long before we see hipsters in silver and black plastic Rukkas? Now that was a bike jacket.
    🙂

LeeW

Haha, Gunz, the Barbour version is called the ‘Steve McQueen’ 🙂

I do like Barbour jackets but some of them fit me really weirdly, the shorter ones pull across my shoulders and the arms are too short. Others, of the same size fit me fine. :/

Like the look of the Matchless ones, will have a proper look.

Edit, Hipsters will be wearing red tartan donkey jackets soon RP 🙂

Gunz
    Free Member

🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

How apt this post is, was out around town today (I don’t get out much) and became aware that every other middle aged bloke appeared to be sporting some sort of leather waxed quilted Belstaff, Barbour or imitation thereof jacket thingy. I was like “WTF?”.

footflaps

How apt this post is, was out around town today (I don’t get out much) and became aware that every other middle aged bloke appeared to be sporting some sort of leather waxed quilted Belstaff, Barbour or imitation thereof jacket thingy. I was like “WTF?”.

STW annual convention…

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It was all the rage around here last year, aspirational chav **** going for the quilted country gent look, now they all want to be bearded hipsters.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Belstaff jackets’ is closed to new replies.