Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 267 total)
  • Beloved relatives posting pish about homopathy on FB.
  • Spin
    Free Member

Should I challenge my dear aunt on this? She is otherwise a wonderful individual.

Kit
    Free Member

If it works for her, why does it matter? I don’t believe in homeopathy, but it has worked for me in the past and it clearly works for others.

scotroutes

Challenge? No harm in providing your own opinion.

Why not write down your thoughts on a bit of paper, shred it and waft it in her general direction.

grum
    Free Member

If you can do it without coming across as an arsehole, then go for it.

konabunny
    Free Member

Pwn her with essence of Bomber.

Spin
    Free Member

I’m coming round to the idea that if you put stuff out in the (semi) public domain you should expect folks to question it.

scotroutes

Can we do this one again???
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0[/video]

Spin
    Free Member

I’ll probably just post that Mitchel and Webb ‘Homeopathic A&E’ skit.

Edit – Beaten to it!

Cougar

Write it down, hole punch the paper and then give her the hole.

Onzadog
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Or link this one in. She won’t know if you’re being funny or serious (or both).

Junkyard
    Free Member

but it hasthe placebo affect has worked for me in the past and it clearly works for others

FTFY
    If it worked it would be called medicine

Spin
    Free Member

The latest is a quote from Gandhi “Homeopathy cures a larger percentage of cases than any other form of treatment and is beyond doubt safer and more economical.”

I’ve got a lot of respect for Gandhi’s views in several fields but medicine isn’t one of them.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Who says it’s pish and what has it to do with you ?

Spin
    Free Member

Who says it’s pish

Tim Minchin.

and what has it to do with you

If you’ve got barmy ideas and you keep them to yourself then it’s hee haw to do with anyone. If you start declaring them then you’ve decided to make it everyones business.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t be silly – to get an overdose you’d have grind those pills down and take one speck of the dust.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Tim Minchin is an Australian musician, composer, songwriter, actor, comedian and writer. He has been performing his unique brand of musical comedy in front of appropriately excitable and ever-growing audiences since starting out in South Melbourne’s Butterfly Club in 2005.

Qualfied to comment on homeopathy then?

EDIT
    Then again, isn’t Mr Minchin’s brand of comedy homeopathic – delivered in such small doses it doesn’t really have any effect?

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers Onzadog – haven’t seen that before. Duely posted on FB.

scotroutes

Qualfied to comment on homeopathy then?
    [/quote]As qualified as a homeopathist is to talk about medicines.

grum will be along any minute to talk about clairvoyance, divining etc

grum
    Free Member

Who says it’s pish

Science does. The amounts of active ingredient involved are so small that the ‘medicine’ can’t possibly have any effect and is indistinguishable from water, or sugar pills

and what has it to do with you ?

People promoting anti-scientific nonsense isn’t a good thing and should be challenged.

Would you be happy if one of your relatives was promoting crystal healing, past-life regressional therapy, clairvoyance, or divining? What if it stops them seeking proper medical help for a serious condition?

cinnamon_girl

Respect their views.

scotroutes

See – I knew you were going to write that!

Spin
    Free Member

Respect their views.

I respect respectable views.

grum
    Free Member

Respect their views.

Why?

See – I knew you were going to write that!

🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I would ensure I was fully aware of all the important facts first !

1/ Is she wealthy
    2/ Has she made out a will yet
    3/ Are you in the will
    4/ If not are you likely to be in it

If all the above are negative, fill your boots and give her the tongue lashing you obviously want to !

cinnamon_girl

Nowt worse than a Nellie Know It All. 😛

grum
    Free Member

Nowt worse than a Nellie Know It All.

Yes I hate it when people post stuff based on reason and critical thinking rather than superstition and myth.

You can prove anything with facts. 😉

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

As qualified as a homeopathist is to talk about medicines.

So not at all then?But if you’re going to discuss this with someone who believes in homotherapy/crystals/black magic, why not take an unfunny “comedian” as a starting point, that’ll strengthen your argument no end

aracer
    Free Member

Though if it’s a homeopathic will, the best thing might be to make sure she doesn’t like you.

RobHilton
    Free Member

If water has memory why doesn’t it all taste of piss?

Any that hasn’t been passed through an animal will have nicely diluted all that that has, hence increasing the potential to taste like piss.

peterfile
    Free Member

Buy some Rescue Remedy and a copy of Ben Goldacre’s book.

Tell her you will use the rescue remedy for a month if she reads Bad Science, then you can both sit down for a coffee in a few weeks to discuss your respective findings 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

?

legolam
    Free Member
    jon1973
    Free Member

She feels better. Leave her to it. Why go to pains to try and undo any good it might be doing her, even if it is just some sort of placebo effect? Life is too short.

Fueled
    Free Member

Respect their views.

CG, in your view, does respecting somebody’s views necessarily mean not challenging them when you disagree?

You can challenge views and still be respectful. Just don’t be an arse about it.

RustySpanner

cheekyboy – Member
    …give her the tongue lashing you obviously want to

FFS, it’s his aunt!
    You people disgust me.

Although if you have any pictures……

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simple rule

Religion/Crazy ideas about Homeopathy/Other wacky stuff are like having an enormous penis, feel good about it yourself share it in private but don’t go waving it round in public or trying to shove it in other peoples faces.

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Respect their views.

I respect that they can have that view, I do not have to respect the view itself. Spout it in public and you get challenged, just like the people who post this stuff
    http://www.snopes.com/

cbike
    Free Member

Some painkillers don’t work unless the patient knows they are taking them.

If folk thinks it helps them leave them to it.

ivantate
    Free Member

I saw it work. I didn’t believe it at all before but give it more repect now.

If it gave a cure for her let her feel good. If she is just trying to make money then question away

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 267 total)

The topic ‘Beloved relatives posting pish about homopathy on FB.’ is closed to new replies.