Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Belle du Jour – Would you?
  • Sidney
    Free Member

Picture Here

I would. Exeprience and all.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Clicks….Yes

noteeth
    Free Member

I'd read her research papers.

grumm
    Free Member

Good to see lazy students doing some work for once – though she said it was cash in hand, get IR on her!

brooess
    Free Member

But £300 for an hour? You could get a decent pair of forks for that 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yes, but I'd expect a try before buy option.

Stoner
    Free Member

She couldnt afford me.

tonyg2003

I reckon that it's just a plug to improve her citation index.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It is hard to discuss her or her book without straying into the issue of whether it legitimises more coercive and obviously exploitative form of prostitution, but she is gorgeous and I hope all this doesn't screw up her next/alternative career. 🙂

BermBandit
    Free Member

Think I have…….

MrNutt
    Free Member

I promised not to say

genesis
    Free Member

Read some of the book, hell and yes would be the answer to that one!

juan
    Free Member

I know I won't make any friend on this one, but am I th eonly one who is profoundly shocked that a student has to prostitute her(him)self to finish hers(his) studies?

Is that tolerable in a " modern state?" How come in london "the apparently greatest city on earth" someone with her knowledge couldn't find another job. Has the society so much contempt for intellectuals that they have no other ways?

noteeth
    Free Member

Has the society so much contempt for intellectuals

We're not like the French, as you may have noticed. 🙂

But – caveats about consenting adults aside – I'm inclined to agree.

Stoner
    Free Member

Has the society so much contempt for intellectuals that they have no other ways?

I agree. There's thousands of Phd students doing Dutch Steamboat tricks for the money they need to complete their studies. So many of them are forced into it it belies belief.

What has the world come to?

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

bet mum and dad are right proud

thing is now that she's come out any work she does in the scientific field will probably be taken less seriousley – unfortunate but it seems to be how the world works

BigDummy
    Free Member

Has the society so much contempt for intellectuals that they have no other ways?

They have plenty of "other ways" though. The lass could have got jobs doing all sorts of things which wouldn't have involved selling her body to strangers for £300 an hour cash in hand with flexible working hours. In her case, I think we can assume that if she hadn't been tolerably happy with it as an option she could have done telesales, shop work or various other things that students do to make ends meet. I'm altogether more concerned about people who really do not have other options getting into this sort of thing. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I reckon Dr Juan's only pissy because he could only make €50 a turn on the Place Pigalle.

tonyg2003

juan post-doc jobs are hard to get at due to funding constraints. Plus if you haven't finished your write up people don't want to take you on until it's done otherwise you can't fully commit to the new job and there is the risk that you might not pass. She shouldn't have moved to London until she had gone through her viva. Basically she was scientifically niaeve alougth obviously not niaeve in other ways.

genesis
    Free Member

With her life experience to date I'm sure it won't worry her that much, it'll now mean that she can earn a fortune as an after dinner speaker, Oxford Union address anyone?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'd be genuinely (mildly) interested to know how rates compare for male and female "upmarket" heterosexual sex workers. I suspect the answer is that women can make vastly more. Does anyone know? 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is that tolerable in a " modern state?" How come in london "the apparently greatest city on earth" someone with her knowledge couldn't find another job. Has the society so much contempt for intellectuals that they have no other ways?

Given that pretty much every other student can find alternative forms of income that don't involve being paid to stick fingers up mens' bottoms, I think it's reasonable to assume that she did have other methods, but chose this one for unspecified personal reasons.

noteeth
    Free Member

Ladies, I will do anything for a fully-funded PhD (preferably NERC).

Form a queue – and no pushing.

Stoner
    Free Member

Among sex workers themselves there was little surprise that a well-educated woman like Magnanti had got into prostitution. "Loads of people who work in the sex industry are academics – education is a very expensive habit," said Catherine Stephens, an activist for the International Union of Sex Workers who has been a sex worker herself for 10 years.

"At a brothel I worked in, I think I was the only one not doing a PhD."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/nov/15/diary-london-callgirl-phd-student-brooke-magnanti

Juan must be spitting feathers!

juan
    Free Member

but chose this one for unspecified personal reasons.

Fair enough then.
    Big dummy I agree about people having no other way, it's just that I think everyone should be able to access to educated at whatever level they choose for free, provided they have the intellectual means to do so.

Stoner 50 you sure? Last time your wife paid me 500 telling me it was worth it considering what she usually gets at home…

IanMunro
    Free Member

BD,
    I pimp out otters as a sideline (it's a rural community and you've got to respond to market demands) and I can get a lot more money (well sacks of spuds) for a good looking bitch with a shiny pelt and big brown eyes than I can for an aggressive dog. Might be different in the city though.

Stoner
    Free Member

intellectual means

how very elitist of you Juan. I never knew.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ian – Id pay more for one with a very wet pocket.

juan
    Free Member

how very elitist of you Juan. I never knew.

What you mean elitist because I think uni should make a selection on brains rather than money?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Would you?

Absolutely not. Firstly I would never pay for sex. Secondly I have been offered "the full works" for a fraction of £300 by a girl considerably more attractive than this :

noteeth
    Free Member

Magnanti now works for the Bristol Initiative for Research of Child Health (Birch) based at the city's St Michael's Hospital.

Why go to all the bother of a broadsheet feature – when you could just include it in your CRB check? 😈

Stoner
    Free Member

"the full works"

a rough rogering with a rolled up copy of the morning star eh?
    Also known as an "Arthur Scargill" in homage to the feeling of getting anally violated by an ageing communist 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

Did she have a PhD though ernie? 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

interesting that the times have seen fit to make her more attractive with a bit of photoshopping – both the below are hosted on their site, one in the link in the first post and the other the picture above.

[img]http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00645/author_of__Belle_de_645479q.jpg[/img]

jon1973
    Free Member

being paid to stick fingers up mens' bottoms

😯

BigDummy
    Free Member

Good spot theflatboy. Titilation is news, and news is titilation.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did she have a PhD though ernie?

No – nor did that over-priced tart.

DezB
    Free Member

Weird, the current pic on Times Online looks considerably more attractive than the link Ernie has posted…

edit: beaten to it!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Ruminating further. If you have £300 to spend on call-girls, you presumably very rarely say "that was bad value", even though you know you could in theory get cheaper. There's presumably a perception at the upper end of the market that price indicates quality (and safety?) in these things.

Another subject I am never going to know a great deal about I suspect… 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

£300 an hour? I have £20 in my pocket, that should give me just long enough…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Belle du Jour – Would you?’ is closed to new replies.