Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Believe in Fat
  • soobalias
    Free Member

What do you think about weight loss,
    is it driven by diet (for the pedants lets say 90%)
    or exercise (90%)
    or both (50/50)

you dont need to prove it, or argue it, you dont need to be informed, or experienced, just interested in your gut feeling (geddit)

cynic-al
    Free Member

can be either for me.

dabble
    Free Member

diet and cardio

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

diet has proven to be the way for me.

brakes
    Free Member

weight loss is about net calories so diet is primary, exercise accelerates the process but is secondary.

sc-xc

Whilst cardio is always there in the background, diet + resistance training works best for me. I guess we’re all different though…

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s about a deficit. Doesn’t matter how you do it. However, fewer calories and then exercise to stave off the hunger pangs works well when I make the effort.

jota180
    Free Member

It used to be something to do with the i-something diet but that particular fad seems to have gone the way of some folks money

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they said you need an imbalance and this is best achieved by eating too little calories.
    Exercise may speed up the use of calories but you still need to eat less than you use.

mu3266
    Free Member

Diet definitely. Through training, we did untold amounts of exercise but due to the calorie intake, I put on 25kg. That being said, it was predominantly muscle.

druidh
    Free Member

+1

Of course you can affect it by “type of exercise” and “type of food”, but it’s not rocket science.

ton

100% IDIET here………..and not cost me a single penny.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ton – Member
    100% IDIET here………..and not cost me a single penny.

I understand there were other revenue streams 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Both. Fat metabolism is controlled by a load of hormones which affect and are affected by all sorts of things including the exercise you do and who you are.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Diet then exercise. And by exercise, not cardio.

Steady state cardio exercise is the most effective non surgical or pharmaceutical gender reassignment therapy available for men.

loum
    Free Member

Drink

Junkyard
    Free Member

arse

Junkyard
    Free Member

F eck

brakes
    Free Member

girrrls

rogerthecat
    Free Member

100% tapeworm.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve lst fifteen pounds in a month by using my fitness pal. I’ve been jogging three times a week for the past two weeks and feel loads better.

Jamie
    Free Member

I do quite a bit of exercise, but eat quite badly. As a result I gain/don’t lose weight. So yeah, it’s 99% diet.

scotchegg
    Free Member

4 hour body by tim ferris.

The guy is odd. But it bloody works.

dribbling
    Free Member

Eat unprocessed food; do stuff.

chris_db
    Free Member

Calories in > calories used = fat

calories in < calories used = thin

Eat less, use more energy.

DrP

A leg weighs about 15kg.
    An axe is about a tenner.
    Think about it……..

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

Wrong, but all the regulars know that already 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Wrong, but all the regulars know that already

You sure about that? Maybe start a thread?

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’ve drastically changed my food intake recently and while it had a impact on weight loss, it levelled out after while. frustrating as I was eating well and bloody starving (but then I always am). Adapted to the new diet a bit more now, and still loosing weigh very slowly with it. But an intensive ride can drop me a kilo in one day, even if I’m eating more to fuel it. So for me a mix has the best effect. But for now there’s none of my usual “i’ve been on a ride so I can eat infinite curry and quaff gallons of ale” which is a shame cos I really liked doing that. 🙁

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

iDave for me – down from 19st to 14st 6lbs and still dropping at a steady pace (target weight is around 12st 6lbs)

It’s unfortunate that iDave managed to create a bit of a mess for himself in terms of his reputation with folks paying for additional advice, because the basic iDave diet sheet has been a brilliant help to me. It’s also made me think a lot more about the type of food I eat, and the quality, both of which have helped with the discipline of changing my dietary habits.

I now work off the underlying mantra “eat to lose weight, excercise to get fit” although I don’t doubt there’s a connection between me getting fitter and stronger, and my continued weight loss.

emsz
    Free Member

Handy excuse if you can’t keep off the muffins though, lost any weight recently sweety? (joke) 😆

vondally
    Free Member

Weight loss for me works with
    Exercise……high intensity (tabatta /intervals/ sprint training)
    Weights
    Endurance……long and slow

Keep mixing it up

Diet…….cut back and look at nutrition. You cannot train and eat poorly.

I would say one style does not fit all.
    But what are the goals…..If you weight train you will put on muscle so factor that in

leffeboy

But for now there’s none of my usual “i’ve been on a ride so I can eat infinite curry and quaff gallons of ale” which is a shame cos I really liked doing that.

+1

Most important for me was being aware of how bad a lot of the ‘little’ things were, e.g. the toast the kids hadn’t eaten.

Best rule: don’t hoover

iamtheresurrection

Booze.

No matter what I do I float at close to 13 and a half stone, at 5’11” and riding 5 or 6 hours a week. I’d consider myself reasonably fit.

I dropped drinking a couple of glasses of wine every night this month (which is probably too much, and never giving myself a break) and dropped half a stone in 2 weeks with no other changes in diet or exercise.

I’m on holiday in the lakes this week and have been for a few walks (carrying the little fella in a MacPac) and a couple of biggish rides: probably 18 hours of exercise so far. I’ve ate the usual but had one or two bottles of beer a night and I look like I’ve put half a stone back on.

As difficult as it is to believe, for me booze just seems to make a huge difference.

dreednya

apparently its 80% diet and 20% exercise for long-term success, but I seem to do fine in riding much more and eating what I fancy. But, even I know what I’m doing is not strictly sustainable 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Eat less, use more energy.

This. You don’t need a fad diet to lose weight. Just be sensible with eating “normal” stuff.

rkk01
    Free Member

Both – but with a careful eye on the diet as the first priority…

I tried to do it through the “exercise more” approach for years. Weight steadily climbed from circa 14-14.5 st, up to 15.75 st.

The more I rode, the more I put on weight – a combination of bigger appetite to sustain exercise and bigger frame from combination of calorie intake and increased exrercise.

Taken a markedly different approach this year. Have combined cycling (actually less, but better targeted – mtb and some road) with gym (cardio and strength).

BUT crucially, have also taken a detailed look at my diet. I don’t feel that I have been “on a diet” – just cut back on some of the crap, and tried to getter a better balance between sugar / complex carbs, protein and fat. I try to maintain fat to about 25-30% (although some weeks it is higher…) 50-60% carb and 15-20% protein.

Has worked a treat. Turn of the year I was at 15st 8lbs. By Mountain Mayhem I was 14st 4lbs, and now down the 13st 4lbs.

That’s probably the lightest I have been since I was about 19-20 (and at 45 that feels cheekily good 😛 ). Much fitter on the climbs now, but not sure there’s room for much more weight loss.

philconsequence
    Free Member

how is that wrong?

yes people are different, yes the nutritional composition of exactly how those total calories are consumed will influence how the individual metabolises them…

but thread after thread after thread on this still ends up with the conclusion that there needs to be a calorie deficit compared to the individuals basal metabolic rate.

its just eating certain foods with low calories mean the volume of food can be massive and still result in a net loss of calories… and certain types of food will illicit different physical and hormonal responses within the individuals body promoting, fat storage or not, an increase in BMR or not.

either way you can live entirely on sugar and if your burning more than you’re eating you will lose weight… equally you can eat 3000kcals of veg and beans and if you’re only using 600 of them kcals a day, you’ll put on weight.

DaveRambo

Diet is the easiest as once you mentally accept you need to watch what you eat the hardest part is done.

When I ride at a very high pace for 2 hrs or so I consume about 1200 kcal
    A shorter ride often shows 6-700 kcal

A pint of Stella contains 45 kcal per 100ml so 250 per pint so a short/low intensity ride followed by 2 pints and a bag of crisps at 200kcal means you put on weight.

You can argue the exact numbers but a lot of people ‘go to the gym’, pootle about for a bit at low intensity and then consume more kcals than they burned off because they think they’ve earned them.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

either way you can live entirely on sugar and if your burning more than you’re eating you will lose weight…

Have you tried this then – how’s the diabetes going? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Believe in Fat’ is closed to new replies.