Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Beinn Mheadhoin
  • Kunstler

I’m pondering on an approach to this peak. Not bothered about biking to it’s summit but it seems like there might be a good ride around to making an ascent on foot from from Loch Etchachan. I can see a route out starting from Coire Cas either up the west side of Coire an Lochain or the east side of Coire an t-Sneachda then heading over to Ben Macdui and from there drop down to Loch Etchachan.

That would be an out and back but a circular route looks possible using the Lairig an Laoigh and Ryvoan. This, from that end seems to be better done clockwise.

Any thoughts big mountain riders? (Sanny?)

scotroutes

I did it via Glen Derry and left the bike in the heather at the foot of the walk up to Coire Etchachan. However, if I was doing it again, I’d get the bike up to the lochan, walk up to the summit and back down, and enjoy a great descent back to Glen Derry.

FWIW, I was up on the plateau today. Very still, loads of snow.

Kunstler

Nice photo – is it above Coire an Lochain? . I was up with work at Badaguish over the weekend and thinking that it looked like it might be clear enough but there seems to be a lot of snow on MacDui from your pic. It’ll have to be done from the Aviemore side as I’m taking the train up there. I’m also considering some bad weather alternatives given the forecast.

Edit – looking again, that’s top of Coire an t-Sneachda isn’t it?

Sanny
    Free Member

You called?

Yup. Done it with the bike. A short but sharp carry up from Loch Etchecan is despatched easily before a nice ride over the plateau to the summit tors. These are seriously impressive! Return the same way although the descent is loose and may be better walked down as I did to minimise obvious damage. We opted to go down to the Shelter Stone but the walk along the northern shore is a bit of a pain. DO NOT GO DOWN STRATH NETHY! The map is a work of fiction.

The better route option is to do the descent to Glen Derry then over the Lairig an Laogh. Alternatively, you could ride back up MacDui and return via Cairngorm and Nap Coire na Spreidh or do the path parallel with the Lairig Ghru to cut out Cairngorm.

A meaty route which is best done in good weather!

scotroutes

Coire an t-Sneachda to the right. We’d planned to get onto the plateau via the goat track but that’s currently impossible due to the amount of soft snow

(it’s under there somewhere!!)

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’d park at Glenmore, ride up to Corrie Cas, hike-a-bike up Fiacaill Corrie Cas, ride over to MacDhui and down to Loch Etchachan. Dump the bike and hike up Mheadachoin. Return to bike and bike out via Lairig an Laoigh and Ryvoan. I’d probably stop for a pint at Glenmore Lodge after all that…

A big day out that is hard work physically, mentally and mechanically. I’ve done it a few times and it is always less ridable through Lairig an Laoigh than I recall. I “think” 90%/10%, but it is probably closer to 60%/40%. Once my cassette was rattled loose. Rough stuff.

scotroutes

Not one for this weekend in any case I reckon

Kunstler

Fiacail ridge is a good, fun way on to the plateau. I did that as a part of a working day a few years back. Did it look like the path to Ben Macdui was under enough snow to make it a headache?

That sounds good Sanny – apart from needing good weather as it ain’t looking too great for Saturday. Which path up from the ski centre would you recommend?

Kunstler

Ah – you posted a minute ahead of me. Forecasts have been more pessimistic than the weather proved in actuality the last couple of weekends but I think I need to think of a plan B.

scotroutes

I reckon so. And I’d offer you the use of my fatbike except that (a) I might be using it and (b) I reckon he snow will be too soft (especially if it’s wet). 😆

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Looking at the photo there, you’ll need to wait until August to get a snow-free trail.

Sanny
    Free Member

Up the main land rover track onto cairngorm is good as the traverse above the corries is stunning while the low path beneath them is also pretty special as you look down the lairig ghru. Narrower path with more carrying.

I can recommend Sgur Gaoth at the moment as it is mostly clear of snow. The zig zag descent was outstanding at Easter.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Beinn Mheadhoin’ is closed to new replies.