Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Being stitched up by a work colleague to cover up their mistake.
  • Wookster

any suggestions? I have moved jobs and now 6 months on a major issue has suddendly arisen. I never has even an indication of the problem and ran in this set up for a year before I moved on. This chap is well know for being ambitious and has been disaplined for fudging figures before. But my only defence is that his explanation doesn’t hold water and to my knowledge couldn’t happen.

Any advice I’ll wee in his shoes asap…

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’re with the same employer yes?

uplink
    Free Member

my only defence is that his explanation doesn’t hold water

it’s a reasonable one though

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m learning that people listen to the sound of your voice, not what you are saying.

Don’t play the victim. At all times, even under intense questioning, seem confident that it’s not your problem. It would be worse if they were muttering without making you aware, as you have no opportunity to put your case – you get a black mark and don’t even know it. That happens all the time here.

Play the hero. Perhaps suggest to management that as an expert in this area, you cast an experts eye over the problem. Expose why it always worked when you ran it, and what he has done wrong. But give him a way out? You could say it is an understandable error because he wasn’t as experienced. Offer to design new processes to avoid these problems.

Pook

Why don’t you first bring up the issue with the colleague who’s going to drop you in it? He may be in a real pickle and might need help.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I hope it’s not spelling or grammar related. But in all seriousness, speak to your line manager about it.

project
    Free Member

Join a union and get some spelin lessons. 😀

Wookster

Ah shocking spelling I agree!!!!! In a bit of a tiz and touch screen and my paws don’t work well together at the best of times!!!

We work in the same dept but different areas. He called me up to say this was being investigated but implicating me in his discussion. Investigating manager knows the set up so I hope it will sort itself out. Gardening leave anyone?!?!?!

Project luckily the spe i not wasted on me 😉

epicyclo

The moment you hear of something like this react. Cowering in your cave will get you covered in doo-doo.

Approach your next up the line and let him or her know you won’t be a party to a stitchup.

Mind, you have to be prepared to move on if it doesn’t work out, but that’s better than being seen as a patsy.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Honesty is best approach and avoid entering in to the blame culture. Stick by what you say and use facts. If nothing else you will maintain the moral high ground. The truth will come out.

brooess
    Free Member

I have a problem colleague at work. Not in the same league but he’s not really done his job well enough, can’t see it and is expressing his frustration with everyone else’s lack of delivery, incl talking about me behind my back.
    I’ve raised this with his boss and my boss, stayed positive and made it clear I’d like to find a resolution ie: be positive, professional. I recommend not making it personal and making it clear your agenda is to be open and honest and do what’s right for the business. Any decent employer will spot a cheat and liar for themselves. They generally have previous. Good luck

Grapefruit
    Free Member

+1 for buzz lightyear’s advice. Good way to manage your managers’ perceptions. If you can rise above the sense of injustice you feel it could be a win-win.

kaesae
    Free Member

If what he says doesn’t make any sense or couldn’t happen? How do you go about proving that? Step back and think about how you would help who ever is in charge understand the situation.

Also jot all of your thoughts down and score out the ones that don’t work as well as others. Process of Elimination.

Anyone slags my spelling and your getting it! 👿

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Being stitched up by a work colleague to cover up their mistake.’ is closed to new replies.