Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 176 total)
  • Being served in a shop while on your phone… wrong, right?
  • bearnecessities

DrP – spotted the message on the human’s monitor? 😀

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“Manners maketh man…”

You’d be surprised how you can make someone’s day by being ‘a bit more than polite’ to them.

This is a machine:

I also said this:

A please & thank-you absolutely

Not polite enough for you?!

Flaperon

Thumbs up for the shop-worker!

I do find myself saying “please” and “thank you” for other people which has earned me some dirty looks but so far nothing worse.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I do find myself saying “please” and “thank you” for other people which has earned me some dirty looks but so far nothing worse.

Sarcasm I presume, not very polite.

DenDennis
    Free Member

theres this great italian family owned deli in London I used to go to, did proper good pizza slices and pastas, queue out the door every day etc.
    They would practically throw people out the shop if they tried to order whilst on the phone, it was hilarious!

almost fell foul of it myself once, then remembered my manners 😀

DrP

DrP – spotted the message on the human’s monitor?

No..but very apt…!

Not polite enough for you?!

Absolutely it’s polite enough, yes…
    ..but I’m just saying it needn’t be the bare minimum standard for human interactions, ’tis all!

DrP

thepublican
    Free Member

I don’t serve people in the pub on the phone. I just say politely ‘I’ll wait until you’re finished’…

How hard is it to just say ‘hold on mate I’m just being served’ to the caller then resume the conversation 60 seconds later..?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i agree 100% with the check out person, plain and utter arrogance on the part of the person using the phone. good manners, please and thank you seem to have died a death in this country.

im getting old now and to be honest fekin hate mobiles and wish they never been invented!!

hora
    Free Member

im getting old now and to be honest fekin hate mobiles and wish they never been invented!!

Its nothing to do with getting old. I no longer take my phone on rides and often just leave it in the car as a fancy carphone now. Its just a pain and you constantly check it as well.

Houns

You can nominate the checkout person for an award

https://www.sainsburyscustomerawards.co.uk/nominate/

Cougar

in France I’ve often been behind some arse who is bagging his groceries while on the phone and doing it slowly so it holds up the queue.

I invariably get stuck behind:

“Would you like help with your packing?”

“No thanks.”

*proceeds to bag really slowly, so that there’s a week’s worth of unbagged groceries still piled up at the end of the till when everything’s being scanned*

When they finally get to serve me I’ll need help with my packing as my fingernails are stuck fast in the trolley handle.

pingu66
    Free Member

I spend a lot of time on the phone and if I got a call while in a social situation it would depend where I was.

There is an etiquette to using your phone, just apply normal good manners.

The Independent says 1 in 6 have used phones at funerals 😯 I find that hard to take in.

Also the article says “speaking of her ordeal” now come on that’s when I though its just a load of bollocks. Shit journalism sensationalising a non new item.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its good to see that the majority of people who have commented on this thread have manners.
    Pebblebeach et al, you should be ashamed of yourself.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Pebblebeach et al, you should be ashamed of yourself.

And you should learn to read. I refer to my first post on page one, go have a look and learn some manners yourself.

lodious
    Free Member

Pebblebeach…you better get back to your business calls, someone might be needing their loft insulation improving 🙂

binners

Is shame an emotion you’re familiar with? 😀

bearnecessities

Actually DrP, I’m not sure that is a human?

I’m drawn to suspicions that her head has been photo-chopped onto that body.

MSP

And you should learn to read. I refer to my first post on page one, go have a look and learn some manners yourself.

The one where you explained how much more important you are than anybody who works on a checkout who despite all the ignorance they suffer still tries to be pleasant enough to engage you in friendly conversation?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

someone might be needing their loft insulation improving

You may think that’s funny, I don’t understand what you’re attempting to say.

er no, this one ‘Fairly rude and I wouldn’t to it myself’, but its fine if you want to be selective.

lizzz
    Free Member

I used to work on a checkout… the thing to remember is that the people on mobile phones who ignore the checkout staff because they’re on the phone are the same ones who would be a t**t even without the phone.
    They’re the ones who the next day will be in for a loaf of bread with an MP3 player blasting music into their ears.

Some people are just rude, it’s the way the world is… but it’s easy to forget that they are outnumbered by the nice, polite, friendly people so really we shouldn’t worry too much about it. 🙂

binners

It could have been the bit when he further endeared himself to everyone by stating that people giving up their time to raise money for charity are also a PITA that get in his way, as he manfully thrusts himself about in an oh-so-important businesslike manner on his way to his awaiting Range Rover

Edric64
    Free Member

Good on the shop worker for taking a stand .it is rude and ignorant to talk on the phone like that ,just as it is to take a call when you are already talking to someone .Also one of my local pubs has a ban on mobiles being used and there is a bakers in Bath that wont serve you if you are on the phone

grum
    Free Member

There’s been the odd occasion where I’ve done it when I’ve been in a rush but I felt like a proper tool.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

his awaiting Range Rover

I keep that at the country pile, I prefer something more sporty around town.

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t get many people on the phone, but the one that does irk me a bit is people who don’t hand me money, they put it on the counter, which means I have to scrabble about to pick it up again.

I’m not infectious or anything, and that rash has cleared right up.

bearnecessities

by stating that people giving up their time to raise money for charity are also a PITA that get in his way

TBF, I do find them a bit awkward to deal with. No problem throwing some shrapnel in a bucket for the local U11 team, but faced with a 9 year old who will either pack everything so slowly and so badly, I have to resist the urge to jump in and take over, or look at their little rejected faces and moments of awkward-ness if I do it myself, , I just collapse mentally and find myself either walking out with 4 pints of milk and a bag of potatoes balanced on top of a piece of cod, or with the knowledge I’ve contributed to the mental downfall of a youngster who may well go ‘postal’ at my local Asda in a few years time.

binners

Just say ‘No thanks’ pack your own stuff, then chuck some cash in. Its worth it to keep them off the streets, vandalising bus stops, and drinking cider in parks

crankboy
    Free Member

I like to believe my job is really important I can be called 24 hours a day 365 days a week by clients police officers and colleagues. I have taken calls when on holiday and in social situations .

I side with the checkout assistant. It costs nothing to be polite and interact with the person trying to serve you and is unacceptably rude to continue a call while being served. My last real world experience of this was a judges clerk calling me regarding the urgent listing of an emergency application it took nano seconds to establish who was calling explain it was inconvenient to take the call and that I would call back in 5 minutes.

I certainly believe you can judge character by the way people behave to those around them especially those perceived to be in a menial job. I would not employ any one who was rude to waiters, receptionists or cleaners .

I am also going to nominate the check out assistant on the link above .

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I would not employ any one who was rude to waiters, receptionists or cleaners.

Do you employ people who are rude to people in other jobs then, traffic wardens for example?

bearnecessities

Its worth it to keep them off the streets, vandalising bus stops, and drinking cider in parks

When you put it like that, it’s like denying them a right of passage!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have taken calls when on holiday

Spotted last week;

🙂 Not one person on the beach on their phone. Was blissful!

Edric64
    Free Member

I am also going to nominate the check out assistant on the link above .

I just did that as well

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Why would you be rude to a traffic warden?

binners

Aye Now I’ve thought about it bearnecessities, I’m not going to do it again.

Its sending out completely the wrong message. Would it be wrong to buy them ten Bensons instead?

bearnecessities

Absolutely, with a 3L bottle of the cheapest white cider and some frazzles. 😀

crankboy
    Free Member

“Do you employ people who are rude to people in other jobs then, traffic wardens for example?”well we pay our staff to be confrontational with authority figures .

jekkyl

I do still say thank you to a shop assistant whilst I’m on the phone, I’m not the type to completely ignore someone and I do believe in manners but…….. why should I hang up on my mate to punch in 4 digits to pay for my 80 quids worth of fuel and a twix. Like I say I do smile and make eye contact and say thanks. It’s only a phone call ffs, like someone else said, not like it’s a funeral.
    busy at work today, otherwise would have replied to all my haters earlier. Peace Love \/:o)

binners

Sorry…. were you saying something? I’m just on the phone 😉

piemonster

Im siding with the checkout operator.

shotsaway
    Free Member

I’ve not read through the whole thread but to put the boot on the other foot.

How would you feel if the checkout operator was gassing away on their mobile whilst serving you? If its not acceptable for the shop staff to do it, then it certainly isn’t acceptable for customers to do it.

I’m home/field based and all of my work calls are via mobiles. If I’m busy, meeting with a customer or talking to somebody, I never answer my phone in those situations. However I’m shocked at the number of times other people answer when I ring and then tell me that its not convenient or that they are in a meeting. If its not convenient don’t answer, I’m more than capable of leaving a message!

And yes at 41 years of age, I really can see the Grumpy Old Man syndrome sneaking in! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Being served in a shop while on your phone… wrong, right?’ is closed to new replies.