Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Being 'on strike' vs playing in the garden with nephews
  • brooess
    Free Member

First up, I’m private sector and have no experience of strikes and the expectations on union members and don’t understand what is the ‘right’ thing to do but:

I’ve been emailing a lady on a singles forum who told me today she was on strike (she’s a teacher) and that although she knew she should be on the march, the weather was nice and it’s not often she gets to spend the day with her nephew so she spent the day playing in the garden with him.

Now, genuine question, if you’re on strike then you’re making a point, fighting for your rights aren’t you? If you’re not ‘on the march’, don’t you go to work? Or is crossing the line seen as not on form. But playing in the garden with children is on form?

Have I missed something? I’m shocked frankly, I thought the point of being in a union was to fight for your rights and solidarity…

donsimon
    Free Member

Now, genuine question, if you’re on strike then you’re making a point, fighting for your rights aren’t you? If you’re not ‘on the march’, don’t you go to work? Or is crossing the line seen as not on form. But playing in the garden with children is on form?

Even though this has been discussed to death, my view from a televisual point of view is that the coverage here, Spain, showed the march where the protesters had more personal space than a sunbather on the beach in Benidorm! On the Anti-Student Loan march I went on we were shoulder to shoulder right up until the Police attacks…
    It looked pathetic.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Picketing a closed school when no one will turn up is a bit pointless compared to say picketing a workplace that is trying to stay open and is using scab/ non unionised labour.
    the withdrawal of labour will be noted by the govt therefore job done.
    IME teachers rarely picket but other sectors on strike today did

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Being 'on strike' vs playing in the garden with nephews’ is closed to new replies.