• This topic has 76 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Being asked to contribute to a friends party expenses by his spouse?
  • honeybadgerx

You could always go out for a phal the night before and make sure you use their en-suite toilet (I’m assuming they have one from the flush description).

codybrennan
    Free Member

LOL at bearnecessities!

Thanks all. I’m not complaining, its just….unusual.

theotherjonv

I went to a BBQ a while back where people were supposed to bring their own meat, hardly anyone did

Me too. Even worse, we did, taking some nice butchers sausages and decent quality burgers with us. By the time i’d realised what was going on, i either had to throw myself over the barbecue like a second row forward counterrucking, or stand on and watch in dismay as the tight arses all got tucked into my dinner, leaving me with a value burger and charred chipolata.

Being english, naturally I chewed on the chipolata and then thanked the host for a lovely evening.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    showerman
    Free Member

when a good friend passed away last year was told it was going to be £25 ahead. by the time the funeral came any mention of money had gone

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Significant year, what is he 10?
    Tell her to jog on.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Having a whip round for a funeral sounds a bit harsh 😐

fr0sty125
    Free Member

It is odd I would never do such a thing

But if it is a good friend I would pay

monkeychild
    Free Member

I went to a new years party once after being there 5 mins they came and asked for cash towards the food (didn’t know that was coming) anyway me and another mate were found eating the gateauxs straight out of the packet. The hostess wasn’t impressed 😀 I’d had my tea before going so I was having desert.

deluded
    Free Member

Don’t be hasty to think it’s a cheek – the fare might be a veritable smorgasbord of delightful delicacies and well worth a nominal contribution. If not, get lashed, cut-up-rough and create a scene by throwing sloppy trifle and stale Vol-Au-Vent’s at the hostess and any guests that have annoyed you over the years.

jonnouk
    Free Member

a)they’re flush as

You don’t get rich by spending your own money.[/quote]

I didn’t get rich by writing a lot of cheques

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Is she planning a Chinese buffet?

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

Say its fine, and ask for an itemised bill to see that she isn’t paying herself a wage for all her hard work.

totalshell

mrs has a friend who must be your mates wifes sister.. kids partys its bring food, adult gatherings its can you cover the cost of desserts i was once asked to service the gas fire before the party as my contribution.. teachers.. i havent accepted an invite since..

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t really mind, but a)they’re flush as b)have no kids and c)are both on great incomes. Really great….

Is this odd, or is just me?
    It is odd and it is not you

i would happily pay if they really needed it/the party would not happen any other way or I really wanted to go.
    This is just mean IMHO.

jimification
    Free Member

Not normal.

You should pay with luncheon vouchers.

avdave2

I’d be breaking out the Tupperware and taking a packed lunch.

tomaso
    Free Member

Pay and enjoy! I hope the buffet is superb, if its not we need pics!

thehustler
    Free Member

def a bit odd……

…….and if its just for buffet! not drinks thats a bloody expensive buffet!!

a good guage of buffet costs

cheers_drive

How many people are going? If it’s over 100 I can maybe understand. Regardless forgot convention, he’s a mate and you’d spend much more on a meal out.

taxi25
    Free Member

Showed this one around my local. Unamous bring a bottle or plate, asking for cash is just cheap and nasty !!! I wouldn’t go mate or not.

konabunny
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go mate or not.

Evidently your friendship isn’t worth “north of a tenner”.

Surprised there are so many cheapskates on here. I think the OP is just jealous when he says

I don’t really mind, but a)they’re flush as b)have no kids and c)are both on great incomes.

What’s that got to do with anything? Why doesn’t the OP describe himself as lazy and feckless who decided to spend all his money on his offspring?

(I don’t really believe half of this stuff)

passtherizla
    Free Member

Odd. Very odd. You don’t invite people to a party and then charge them. Just tell them you’ll eat before you get there.

rone

I’ve never charged anyone for coming to my house for dinner. It’s a what goes around comes around thing. So if over the years everyone puts a meal/occasion on it evens out. So, have you ever had these people around for dinner?

Personally I would be a bit miffed as she is obviously showing some resistance to doing it, by putting a small block in the way. It’s a small amount of money really but what’s going off here is a bit awkward and it would wind me up no end.

I would basically make my excuses and not go and offer an alternative to your mate. But then I hate penny pinching.

And as for friendships being worth less a tenner; not at all. Offer to take mate out for birthday meal instead, or cook for free?

mooman
    Free Member

Would definetly go if only to take the piss out of mate for having such a nightmare of a wife.
    Had a mate in work who was the loudest and most outrageous guy you’d ever meet, but I front of his wife he had been castrated.
    The look on your mates face when he finds out you know what he’s got to put up with will be pure comedy gold. Worth at least a tenner I say.

DrJ

Maybe from her pov she’s not inviting her guests to her house, she’s organising a party on behalf of a group of her husband’s friends. In which case I suspect this will be the last time, judging from the skinflint responses.

br
    Free Member

It is odd and it is not you

+1

Never heard of anyone doing this either. But then if he was a really good mate you’d know already how his Misses works/thinks, so maybe not that good a mate.

And there is a world of difference between spending £10 and been asked for £10.

pondo

Evidently your friendship isn’t worth “north of a tenner”.
    Surprised there are so many cheapskates on here.

I don’t think it’s the quantity of money that’s odd, it’s the fact that money’s being asked for at all. Do you ask guests to make a contribution when you host a party?

codybrennan
    Free Member

LOL at Konabunny! Slightly tongue in cheek I believe. ‘Course I’m not jealous….. 🙄

(and I haven’t mentioned exactly how much the amount was in case anyone else on STW recognises this, and them, and embarrasses him in some way. It was significantly more than a tenner….)

DrJ- I think you’ve probably hit the nail on the head re his wife’s thoughts. That would explain it.

crankboy
    Free Member

I sort of get it . My girlfriend now wife organised my 40th at a restaurant everyone paid their own and brought booze . No one objected and given her finances and it being a surprise for me it would never of happened otherwise .
    For other events though it is more normal not to ask for anything . Within my small group of friends it is normally for the host to lay on the food and an adequate supply of drink and the guests to bring at least enough booze to cover their own consumption normally the entire groups this tends to mean sore heads all round the next day.

hora
    Free Member

Do you get an entry ticket?

user-removed
    Free Member

My 30th was 10 years ago and we had a big house party. Most of our friends were struggling artists / students. We spent about £200 on meat and beer and invited everyone round (granted, not a surprise, buy hey!). People came from all over the country – good opportunity to catch up with old mates.

Asking for money is plain rude and she is clearly not in synch with the rest of humanity. That said, in your case I’d still cough up and go. Then pebbledash the toilet.

gogg
    Free Member

Do you get an entry ticket?

I’d want an access all areas pass if she’s that tight!

😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

codybrennan – Member
    Strange one this, etiquette wise.

Mate is getting sprung a surprise party for a significant year by his OH. She’s surreptitiously finding out who can and can’t make it.

I’d said yes- he’s a great lad- and she seemed pleased.

However, a formal invite has arrived to the do, and there within is a little note, asking me to contribute a sum of money (north of £10) for the buffet.

I’m assuming all other guests have also been asked to do this.

I don’t really mind, but a)they’re flush as b)have no kids and c)are both on great incomes. Really great….

Is this odd, or is just me? I’d planned on getting him some kind of pressie too.there’s a reason why the are flush, tight ****, tell them to ram their invite.

racefaceec90

as above if they are rich,and you not so,tell her to shove the invite 😉 the cheek of it.

RustySpanner

Yup.
    Tell her to whistle.

But take your mate out, just the two of you and buy him a few beers.
    Don’t invite Madame Gnats-Chuff.

DrJ

Good idea. Take your mate out and tell him how you spoiled his wife’s idea for a surprise party for want of a tenner. I’m sure he’ll see the funny side.

gogg
    Free Member

Good idea. Take your mate out and tell him how you spoiled his wife’s idea for a surprise party for want of a tenner. I’m sure he’ll see the funny side.

Well it made me laugh!!

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Being asked to contribute to a friends party expenses by his spouse?’ is closed to new replies.