Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Being an average racer – worth it?
  • orena45

I did relatively well at some of the early enduros down in the southwest (top 20-25%) and am one of the quicker riders in my riding circles so fancied trying out more racing. Did the full UKGE and Enduro 1 series last year expecting to scrape 50% but typically finished 75%!

It kinda p*ssed me off at times that I wasn’t were I expected myself to be, especially as I was racing for a team, but this year I’m firmly in the take part and have fun camp regardless of result.

I like racing and testing myself against others (and admittedly hoping for some decent photos of me on Roots & Rain!) but I’m getting more used to considering myself as average. Which is all fine with me now!

ferrals
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Time to find out if the trainings been worth it for me
    Ferrals, was it worth it?

Definately, even though i dont know my ranking, physically felt pretty good. Just need to get some techincal skills coaching now 😳

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you’re referring to the perfectly spaced (wheelbase) peaks & troughs through the 1st wooded section, I’m not 100% any amount of skills coaching other than being able to wheelie the whole damn section would help.

As my mate put it, it was lie Cannock but without the flow.

ant77
    Free Member

I’ve done the last 6 months of the Gorricks after last racing in the youth category nearly a quarter of a century ago.
    Solid mid pack in the enduro ones, with a fair few lessons learned on prep and nutrition etc.

Now into the spring Gorricks my aim to is come higher than I came last time, which I just managed this weekend. Which shows to me the training and changes to nutrition are working.

I’ve analysed my lap times and compared them to the last one where I cramped up to see the difference it made, I worked out where I would have come if I hadn’t missed a turn and wasted 3 minutes.

I looked at the people who beat me, and those I just beat and it’s the same names as last time so I have focus on getting faster to get past them again. It’s definitely motivation for the hours on a turbo.

Unfortunately for my racing career I have a child on the way so the next Gorrick will be my last race for a while as the fitness ebbs away. Back to riding for fun again… 🙂

Kryton57

So a whole year of coming 26-33rd in the Eastern leagues although my London series place improved by 1 (8th) and here I am again. Slightly boyed by the fact my overall league table placing is 26 not 34th this year.

I’ve just build the next sixth months training plan to March, trying to get motivated about it yet actually wondering quite why I’ll be training every other day.

It’s quite obvious that with my weekly time (6h) and level of athletic ability I’m destined only for mid-pack. Made worse but my club colleague coming 11th in the same race, his 4th MTB race ever. I suppose it keeps me fit and interested.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Another good trick is to find events where you can be near the top. Low entries and multiple age categories are good for that – you can often pretty much win the mixed 40 vets at an MTBO just by turning up 🙂 (I know it’s not quite the same thing as a race)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You got a coach sorted yet Kryton?

Kryton57

I think so, yes…

twonks

Wasn’t going to post in this thread as I have no personal knowledge of racing and can’t offer much in the way of advice.

However one thing that carries through the 4 pages and 6 months is that you (Kryton) come over as being rather too negative on yourself.

Nearly all your posts are tindged with ‘oh well’ or ‘never mind’ type negativity.

I think you need to take a step back and actualy pat yourself on the back. I’m a similar age to you (45 on Friday), love riding bikes and have done for 30+ years – but I’ll never be anywhere near you in a race.

You need to stop thinking your racing positions are rubbish and questioning yourself all the time. Your positions are what they are and to say your racing snakes half your age I’d say they are damn good !

I sort of coach my wife as she is into triathlons. Not physically but mentally, and you have similar issues to the ones she faces.

One of the best bits of advice she got was to simply race herself. Forget others and the actual races. Use your training wisely but most of all enjoy your riding.

A race is just a combination of how much work you’ve done before and the mental attitude on the day. If you constantly have a downer on yourself and question why you are doing it, no amount of training will come to anything.

Hope that waffle make a degree of sense 😆

Kryton57

Nearly all your posts are tindged with ‘oh well’ or ‘never mind’ type negativity.

Welcome to my personality unfortunately, this is how life is for me. But thanks for your words, makes sense and are useful. One thing: I’m racing Vets so everyone is about the same age 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

Have you considered racing Sport rather than Vets? Probably an easier level of competition. Especially with Vets you have to bear in mind that a good proportion of the field probably have years of training 10hrs a week under their belt.

If you’ve got a coach lined up then plenty to look forward to with training over the winter ready for a flying start next season.

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Being an average racer – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.