Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 410 total)
  • Being a fatty now socially acceptable
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18262887

Fat pride yeah! Let’s all eat McDonalds everyday and buy mobility scooters!

Oh god.

We need some angry terse and to the point staff sergeants running public health programs. 😐

trail_rat
    Free Member

No i wont sugar coat it . Your a fat **** move more eat less

I was once very fat…..amaizing what moving more does for you .

_tom_
    Free Member

No i wont sugar coat it . Your a fat **** move more eat less

I was once very fat…..amaizing what moving more does for you .

+1. As someone who has lost over 10 stone there’s no sympathy from me for fatties!

jota180
    Free Member

i’m not sure being fat as ever been socially unacceptable- certainly not as far as I’m concerned it hasn’t,
    Why should it be?

No i won’t sugar coat it . Your a fat **** move more eat less

I was once very fat…..amazing what moving more does for you .

you can’t say things like that around these parts, the idave devotees will shout you down whilst chanting their mantra 😉

saxabar
    Free Member

Acceptance into society isn’t too much to ask for is it? My view on this is simple: tax cr** food and use revenue to subsidise fruit and veg. Healthy food is too expensive.

ourmaninthenorth

Fatness appears to be the last area where abusing people for their outwards appearance is still acceptable. While that’s clearly not on, the nature of the obesity epidemic is such that it takes time to become that overweight, and so people often don’t recognise the implication to their health.

And I’m not sure it’s just ba greed alone that does it – eating the sort of shit hat makes us fat is even more normalised than fatness itself.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I thought being s]fat[/s] overweight is a health risk so it’s now socialably acceptable to be unhealthy, what next Mugabe will be an ambassador for tourism, oh hang on 😮

GrahamS

No i wont sugar coat it .

Because you’d just eat it.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’d rather be fat than a ****. #justsaying

oldgit
    Free Member

MPs think the terms have a negative impact on body image and self-esteem, and want doctors to promote broader health and lifestyle messages instead.

So it’s just words that have a negative impact, not the fact that you are actually fat.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It might be a struggle for the simple minded to understand but getting overweight folk to lose weight by making them feel shit about themselves doesn’t really work.

#justsaying (paulsoxo +1 too)

GrahamS

I’d rather be fat than a ****. #justsaying

Yeah, very good, but a doctor telling a patient that they are overweight or obese isn’t being a ****

They are just saying what needs to be said for the good of their patient’s health.

I imagine it is also quite upsetting to be told you have cancer, AIDS, MS, Parkinson’s etc etc etc should they avoid those words too??

toys19
    Free Member

As a confirmed fatty, I have to say I do not mind you taking the mickey out of me, in fact on of my knicknames is S F C (Short Fat Cahnnnnt) but to say that my body shape/state of unreadyness for war, is socially unacceptable marks you out as someone who has limited range.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Yeah, very good, but a doctor telling a patient that they are overweight or obese isn’t being a ****

They are just saying what needs to be said for the good of their patient’s health.

Socially acceptable is not the same as medically acceptable.

toys19
    Free Member

Graham, you are missing the point, we could discuss the MP’s report as you are, and I think I’d probably agree. But the OP has implied that being fat is not socially acceptable, which is why its been correctly implied that he is a ****. Which is a shame because in other posts he has shown he has the capability to be intelligent and v witty.

scaredypants

yeah, but the OP is bwaaarp – this is his MO

BenjiM

Come on government – give us some incentive to look after our families future

What a great statement from the comments below the article!

toys19
    Free Member

yeah, but the OP is bwaaarp – this is his MO

Ahh I see.

Solo
    Free Member

“The facts are when I started training in 1993, 10% of the UK was obese and now 25% are. We are absolutely not moving the goalposts – we are getting fatter,” she says.

Are we up to 25% now ?.
    😯

johnners
    Free Member

+1. As someone who has lost over 10 stone there’s no sympathy from me for fatties!

Well done on losing the weight, but it does make me wonder how such a paragon of virtue managed to get 10 stone overweight without noticing.

atlaz
    Free Member

I told my best mate he was overweight once. We sat, had a considered conversation and he said he was fully aware of the risks but liked food and hated exercise. I’ve tried occasionally (actually after the birth of each of his kids) in the 15 years since but it’s his choice. He doesn’t have any issues with being fat and it doesn’t affect his self esteem etc.

I also know a woman, beautiful, never fat who thinks she is and has caused herself health problems because of dieting when she’s already skinny.

I can’t work out which of these two is worse. Or better.

Healthy attitudes are what it’s about and I agree that taxing shit food would start. People might have to learn to cook again as currently I’m stunned by how many people think cooking dinner is a long job and are amazed if you can whip up dinner in 20 mins. Nearly everyone has an hour to watch TV but not to cook for some reason.

Solo
    Free Member

in the 15 years since but it’s his choice.

Yeah, and the NHS get the bill.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

ahahah fatty fat fat fats look at them

cyclist

atlaz
    Free Member

Yeah, and the NHS get the bill.

Nope. He doesn’t live in the UK and has private healthcare where he lives.

atlaz
    Free Member

Just for balance…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0aIqx1McVI[/video]

Solo
    Free Member

People might have to learn to cook again as currently I’m stunned by how many people think cooking dinner is a long job and are amazed if you can whip up dinner in 20 mins. Nearly everyone has an hour to watch TV but not to cook for some reason.

Good post.
    I view it as some people have a vested interest in de-skillz the population down to only being able and willing to peel back the lid and place in microwave oven.

Learning to cook and making time to learn, is worthy, imo.

Solo
    Free Member

Nope. He doesn’t live in the UK and has private healthcare where he lives.

Well, someone is getting the bill for his inability to choice more responsibly.

And I do live in the UK, and fat people do cost the NHS.
    😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I imagine it is also quite upsetting to be told you have cancer, AIDS, MS, Parkinson’s etc etc etc should they avoid those words too??

I’d be alarmed if we started “having AIDS is now socially acceptable” thread

For balance, and this is IMPORTANT

I apologise if it appears that I was calling the op a ****, I wasn’t. I was just wanted to make it clear that socially, there are probably more important things.

EDIT: I’m properly fat too. Used to be fat, got poorly, got a bit fatter. Eat well, don’t exercise anywhere near as much as I should, but also find it and life in general very difficult at present, so maybe I’m just touchy on the subject!

jonba
    Free Member

Fat has been sociably acceptable for a long time. Peoples idea of normal is actually overweight.

wrecker
    Free Member

We should let people do what they want.
    Why are doctors trying to make people last forever?
    The clues are there; poor diet + lack of exercise = short life. Just leave it at that?

Duggan

Lambasting fat people on the internet is a bit dull tbf and been done to death.

Probably doesn’t help much either as someone has already pointed out.

+1 on whoever said people need to learn to cook again.

philconsequence
    Free Member

bring back national service i say! didn’t do me any harm.

GrahamS

Graham, you are missing the point, we could discuss the MP’s report as you are, and I think I’d probably agree.

My first mistake was actually reading the OP’s post and the linked article on the MP’s report. This is STW, I should have skipped that and disappeared off into my own tangent 😀

FWIW, I completely agree that pointing at land whales in the street and shouting “Fatty fatty fat fat” isn’t helpful and does mean you are a ****.

But I’m not sure that has anything to do with the article or post.

justatheory
    Free Member

Food education is important I think. It’s amazing how many people don’t understand what is good or bad for you and can’t cook a meal from scratch. Cheap convenience food is generally made tasy by adding lots of sugar, salt and fat.

It’s the old chestnut of how do you break the cycle? Parent/s with bad diet pass on the habits to their kids. I was fortunate that even though we were poor my Ma liked to cook, so I ate a varied diet and got interested/educated about food.

Is Home Economics still on the curriculum?

GrahamS

Is Home Economics still on the curriculum?

From memory my Home Economics classes in school mainly involved baking cakes. And some sewing.

I’m not sure either would help much.

miketually
    Free Member

Fatness appears to be the last area where abusing people for their outwards appearance is still acceptable.

Not quite:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0IVuGK7sAw[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t think that being fat is socially acceptable quite yet.

I like to get sat on by women who weigh more than 20 stone… at the moment this is still labelled a ‘fetish’.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

tax cr** food and use revenue to subsidise fruit and veg. Healthy food is too expensive.

Is it?

Snack:
    Apple 25p, mars bar 55p

Dinner:
    Microwave spag bol £2.50 (35g of fat!), or any takeaway is goin to be £6+ and many times worse than that.

Home made spag bol
    200g mince (so at least double the ready meal, ~10% fat) £5/kg, £1
    Value Pasta 30p/packet ~ 7p portion
    Tin of tomatoes 33p
    assorted herbs, glug of red wine, salt/stock, chilli – 30p?
    total = £1.70

How much cheeper does it need to be?

DrP

[shakes head in worry for the nation]

Obese/overweight are all clinical terms. As is underweight/tall/short stature/anaemic/dehydrated….

Still, reminds me of the time two HCAs were sat chatting on the ward (mid night shift) talking about how her BMI of 30+ labelled her as “obeast”…!
    I chuckled at that one!

DrP

tails
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed to read all the above but sugar is as addictive as nicotine in my mind, and probably just as dangerous to your health. You think people want to be overweight?? They just can’t control their need for sugar. I bought a large box of salad the other day £2.50, I could definitely bought a large packet of crisps and big dairy milk for that money, or 2.99p McDonalds burgers. Healthy food is too expensive and not sold in a conveniently packaged way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 410 total)

The topic ‘Being a fatty now socially acceptable’ is closed to new replies.