Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Being a Dick
  • Dickyboy

I is getting bored with it being used as a term of insult on this site, that is all, thank you.

Pook

Is ‘being a dick’ acceptable?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Is

‘being a dick’ acceptable?

No. ‘Not being a dick’ is the minimum accepted.

scotroutes

Some of the alternatives are also objectionable.

Yours sincerely

Fanny

Pook

No. ‘Not being a dick’ is the minimum accepted.

I was talking purely in a grammatical sense, as I suspect Dickyboy’s objection is name related.

taxi25
    Free Member

I can imagine how for all the Richard’s in the world it could become tiresome 😆

Northwind

I’m a total **** and I find it offensive that people use the term so freely these days tbh

funkmasterp

Stop being a knob then 🙂

scotroutes

A big shout out to all the Roberts in the world who must be confused about the number of nephews and nieces they have.

councilof10
    Free Member

A man in a court dock once asked the judge what would happen if he called him a ****. The judge replied “I’d hold you in contempt and you’d be sentenced accordingly.”
    “So what would happen if I thought you were a ****?” asked the man.
    “Well, nothing” replied the judge, “this court holds no jurisdiction over your mind.”
    “Well in that case Your Honour, I think you’re a ****.”

Dickyboy

I feel for all the Fannys of this world too, I think we should unite and forge a commited union

maccruiskeen

a term of insult

Set the bar higher. If you lived your life as a paragon of inspiring virtue then ‘Being a Dick’ would be a compliment. But no – you just have behave like a Dick don’t you.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I feel for all the Fannys of this world too, I think we should unite and forge a commited union

President: William John Thomas

maccruiskeen

I feel for all the Fannys

Don’t put your hand where you wouldn’t put your face

DezB
    Free Member

I was talking to 2 fellas at the rugby the other week, one called Dick.
    The other bloke says “Yeah, he’s a dick” about somebody and walks away
    I look at Dick.. “Dick? That’s not nice calling him a dick! 🙂 “
    Dick looks at me, does a sort of forced laugh.
    I think ‘did he actually say “dick” or have I just made a dick of myself?’
    Very confusing.

LeeW

I think we should unite and forge a commited union

Just make sure you take precautions, don’t want any unwanted children from this ‘union’.

Dickyboy

Maccruiskeen – somedays I do wonder if my past actions have lead to this being a term of insult 😳

GrahamS

Just to save some time..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYSOmYyNHpU[/video]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

there is shop on my local highstreet called FANNY which sells Womenswear.

megalolz i tell thee

thejesmonddingo

] 😆

thejesmonddingo

donald
    Free Member

I’m beginning to feel the same way as everyone called Adolf felt in 1932.

sweepy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lKklhKdG4g[/video]

Its not all bad tho

RobHilton
    Free Member

Pook – Member
    I was talking purely in a grammatical sense, as I suspect Dickyboy’s objection is name related.

Subtle!

I see what you did there – but only after you pointed it out to me :mrgreen:

Cougar

It always struck me as odd that someone would intentionally change their name to something with a double meaning (eg, contracting Richard to Dick when there’s plenty of other alternatives).

– Cougar.

burgatedicky

I’m a Dicky here too.
    To comment on Cougars’ post I was first called Dicky by my father, probably before I can remember to be honest, but actually came to quite like it and went through school and uni being a Dicky. Rather annoyingly once I began to work I was seemingly forced to revert to Richard again as no one in the office could seem to cope with Dicky. Sigh…
    I know other options are available but frankly I hate Rich, Rick and in particular Ricky! Don’t know why, they don’t seem to be “me”.
    I don’t find dick a particularly offensive insult, it’s always seemed a bit tongue in cheek to me, now there are some other terms I’m not too keen on…

Cougar

I wasn’t entirely serious – as I hinted at by signing off, I’ve gone by “Cougar” since the late 80s and it now means something totally different (much to the surprise and disappointment of random teenage boys on Snapchat). I suppose if you’ve used it before “dick” was a common insult it’s harder to just change.

Depends what your surname is too I suppose. I remember seeing “Dick Spring” and “Dick Pull” in TV credits (one was on Crimewatch, can’t remember which now) and thought, even if you’ve used it for years, you’d change it in that instance surely?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

don’t forget Dick Pound

fnar fnar

Dickyboy

Cougar – you only have to look at my surname to know why I’ve been called dick since my early teens 😳

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Is c0ckw0mble OK?

Stoner
    Free Member

Cougar – you only have to look at my surname to know why I’ve been called dick since my early teens

that’s a tough break.

Also, I am the least Stonerish person in the world. It confuses some I think.

I have a friend called Dicky (not Dick) Box.

maccruiskeen

(eg, contracting Richard to Dick when there’s plenty of other alternatives).

Not all the alternatives are open to you though. These days kids have a lot more names available to them – but when I was at school names seemed to be on ration I was in a class of four Andrews, 3 Stephens, 4 Marks, etc. Often you’re contracted / nickname was about distinguishing your name from all the other people you knew with the same name either in the your class or your own family (as people would often pass down either fathers or grandfathers names to their oldest son too). So if you’re a Richard you don’t really have the full range of contractions available to you if Rich, Rick, Ricky have already been taken by those around you – A Rich won’t like being called a Rick – because Rick is someone else.

By comparison I worked with a primary school year group of more that 40 kids recently and no two of them shared the same name (and non of them had unusual names either) so they all just used their name as given (probably to the annoyance of the author of another of todays threads 🙂 )

Cougar

you only have to look at my surname to know why I’ve been called dick since my early teens

Oof, yes, that’s unfortunate. I blame the parents.

Cougar

Is c0ckw0mble OK?

He’s getting better and thanks you for your concern.

stevied
    Free Member

you only have to look at my surname

Sorry, I just lol’d at that. Now I’m being a dick… 🙁

grenosteve
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with being nicknamed Dick or similar in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Dicko.

unovolo
    Free Member

There’s a gravestone in my local cemetery with the engraving ‘Dick Slinger’, I always wonder if he could?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Being a Dick’ is closed to new replies.