Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Beginners mtb tomorrow – Llandegla or Cannock? Advice please.
  • maracucho
    Free Member

Evening all.

My brother-in-law and I are thinking of going mountain biking tomorrow – either Cannock Chase or Llandegla. Neither of us have been to a trail centre before. He has a heavy full suspension rockrider but no other kit. I do quite a bit of cycling on the road/ commuting so have some useful kit but the nearest I have to a mountain bike these days is a Trek FX hybrid.

So, which is most suited to beginners? I think we want “flowing and fun” rather than “technical”. Do I need to hire a bike? I guess so. Will the rain make it a waste of time?

Scapegoat

Llandegla blue if it’s all open.

m1ateusz
    Free Member

if you are going for red route then Cannock (follow the dog) is a lot easier then red at Llandegla.
    As for the bike, try first on you hybrid, it sound like you’ll be pacing yourself anyway.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Llandegla, Blue – a long, long, boring climb, followed by some mellow swoopiness.

Cannock ‘follow’ the dog, (easy for a) Red – seems like a lot less climbing, fantastically brilliant, but perhaps a bit tricky for beginner.

you’d maybe be ok on a hybrid at Llandegla (blue), but i’d suggest a proper mtb (hardtail would be fine) at Cannock.

if i had to pick one to suggest, it would be Llandegla Blue, but god that climb is dull.

maracucho
    Free Member

Thanks.

seany_e_boy
    Free Member

Follow the Dog route is ideal for beginners. There are chicken runs round the few harder bits and its only about 6 – 7 mile long. I have not been llandegla for about 5 years but the red route was probably harder than cannock chase.

If you feel like a challenge follow the dog splits off to another route called the Monkey. The last 2 sections (upper cliff and lower Cliff)are worth finding as they are good fun and rival trails in wales in my opinion.

rOcKeTdOg

Llandegla blue or FtD at Cannock

itsallgood

Either or, as above. Start easy, and get used to the trails. I’d say wear helmet and gloves as you’ll probably fall off at some point!

maracucho
    Free Member

Thank you all for the benefit of your enthusiasm.

Yes, we have helmets. I want to just roll over everything. My bro-in-law may decide to try and take off but I don’t trust him and don’t want to end up in A&E so will try to put him off. I don’t mind slogging up ascents but my bro will hate that. Building a picture?

Any more advice on hiring a mountain bike?

maracucho
    Free Member

PS. If we sound like cowboys……. that’s because we are.

seany_e_boy
    Free Member

They do bike hire at cannock. Swinnertons bike shop are basically on the start line of follow the dog, really frindly in there as well. Not sure on prices though but a hard tail will be fine.

There is also a blue route at cannock. (Same start point as dog) about 12 mile round, some great scenery and nothing too challenging apart from a few tough ish climbs.

Depending on fitness you could do the dog in the morning and chill out round the blue route after some lunch.

Scapegoat

Better Cafe at Llandegla, blue looks more engaging. I wouldn’t send a beginner round either red.

maracucho
    Free Member

After checking google maps and the weather forecast, we decided to go to Cannock and ended up doing “Follow the Dog”.

We were slow but it wasn’t busy. It was great fun.

It’s a seriously impressive place. Good for the whole family.

Happy days….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Beginners mtb tomorrow – Llandegla or Cannock? Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.