Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Beginner's MB near Woolacombe ?
  • Ioneonic

Having both done a few years of road biking, my 11y old and I have just bought our first ever mountain bikes.
    Off to Woolacombe for a week so any suggestions for areas near there we could get some rides in .. low level rough stuff I suppose? (Not cheeky stuff as would prefer to avoid the confrontations)
    Don’t mind driving somewhere if needs be, and don’t mind some climbing although I don’t want to put him off completely by having to start with eg the 3 biggish climbs out of Woolacombe.

zippykona

Or the Tarka trail. Disused railway line that starts in Braunton and goes on forever. Boring and flat but a nice view of the estuary. Braunton burrows has nice flat bumpy trails.
    The best way out of Wooly is to go through the car park towards Puttsborough. There is a small road and track that takes you to Georgeham. No epic climbing needed.
    The puttsborough trail many, many years ago.

Ioneonic

Very helpful so far .. thanks to both of you.

zippykona

Southfork in Braunton should have a map with trails on it.

Ioneonic

Thanks..I’ll stop in on the way past.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The final section of tarka runs from the top of wooly (just by the junction with mortehoe station road, next to the carvery) all the way down into Ilfracombe. Thai’s a nice little ride.

BigJohn

Many years ago I rode along the coast path from Putsborough to Pickwell with a friend. At one point, probably near where that photo above was taken, we turned down the hill a bit to get closer to the sea and I found myself going down an ever steepening friction-free grassy slope towards the cliff edge. The result of braking was just that zzzzzz sound and a feeling of acceleration.

It’s harder than you think to throw yourself off a moving bike.

Don’t try that one, OP.

jobro
    Free Member

I would also recommend driving down to Braunton burrows. Try and find the Sandy Lane car park (its about half a mile before Braunton if you come the Croyde/Saunton way. From that car park you can ride all over the Burrows on the sandy trails( keep off the dunes as thats fat bike country 🙂 ). If you take the main trail west from the car park it’ll take you to the sea (fabulous reveal as you push the bikes over the north dunes)Lots to do in that area to keep a young ‘un occupied without being too hard.
    If you feel like a 1.5 hour drive you could always go to Haldon forest and their prepared trails.
    I would not recommend Keypits myself. I thought it quite awful(imho obvs)
    If you get stuck email me and I’ll try and help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Beginner's MB near Woolacombe ?’ is closed to new replies.