Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Beginners loop near Betws y Coed
  • irishtom
    Free Member

I’m in Wales for the weekend with herself. She’s not biked before and we’ve been thinking could be nice to ride some trails. I was thinking of trying Penmachno? What do people think-would she get around the 11km route- I’ve never been so can’t judge. I can say she’s fit and strong just not a biker cycles to work. She will have to rent a bike, so if it’s Penmachno is Betws y Coed our best option?

Also, would there be a better option?

ElShalimo

Look at Sarn Helen. Fairly straight forward trail and a nice loop from Betws.

tillydog
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go to Penmachno on a first trip (IMHO) – There is some lovely flowy stuff, but also a lot of (fairly) techy uphill, quite a lot of rocks, and the odd wheel-deep puddle (you don’t know which until you hit them). Very entertaining, but potentially very intimidating for a beginner.

The shorter version of the Marin would probably be a better bet (again, IMHO) – the Marin is now “Gwydir Mawr”, and there is a ~9km “Gwidir Bach”. Route card The way marking has just been re-done, so you shouldn’t get lost. Would probably be OK for a ‘game’ beginner.

There’s a pleasant ride around Llyn Elsi – 10km mainly on fire roads, but nice scenery. Some info, but no map 🙁 Don’t know if it’s waymarked, but I’m sure Beics Betws would sort you out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ambrose

tillydog has it spot on.

I’ve been riding for years. The last time I visited Penmachno I was in pieces by the end. Crappy weather and trail diversions really spoiled my day.

There is loads to do at the Marin trail. If you are at all handy with a map you can find loads of variations to try.

To be honest though I’d suggest Coed y Brenin. It has many trails at all grades, easily interlinked to give a great day out.

Where are you staying? Wales is quite big.

BigJohn

All I remember of Penmachno is we rode uphill for a few hours and ended up back where we started. I think M C Escher helped with the layout.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I’d say coed y brenin choice of routes from Blue to black. Skills section to have a preview of what’s out on the trails

aracer
    Free Member

+1 – MinorTaur is a great beginners trail, and there’s harder bits you can easily add on.

wallop

wheel-deep puddle

That one took me by surprise too 😆

I really love Penmachno.

pictonroad

I was in Coed Y Brenin at the weekend. What a place! I’d love to take a beginner there. Not only are the blue trails glorious but the cafe and hire shop are great too. There were loads of beginner types about having a splendid time. Smiles all round.

Tiger6791

Worth the extra drive time to go to Coed Y Brenin

Totally set up to introduce a beginner and help them along a bit

Go play in the skills area and then try the Minor Taur which has three options on length

samuelr
    Free Member

Gwydyr fach is still a bit much for a beginner in my opinion. Took the girlfriend there a few weeks back. Her comments were “its too rocky and steep”. She much prefers the blue at glentress, CYB and llandegla. More flow less techy

singletracksurfer

There was a ride in MBUK recently from ByC which if you missed out the leg up around Snowdon should be OK.

martinhutch

http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/north-wales-mtb-routes/the-marin-and-moel-siabod-mtb-route-guide/

If you just look at the bottom half of this route – basically from where it leaves and rejoins the Marin, then it is, on the whole, not tech (one slightly steeper section which doesn’t last long), and really scenic.

pedlad

As above I wouldn’t take a beginner on Penmachno. Marin trail from memory is more benign? But yes CYB is best set up for easy trails with progression if you want.

Stainypants

If she’s a complete beginner how about some of the loops around Lynn Brenig. Nice and tame much less likely to cause another Singletrack divorce.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I was in Coed Y Brenin at the weekend. What a place! I’d love to take a beginner there. Not only are the blue trails glorious but the cafe and hire shop are great too. There were loads of beginner types about having a splendid time. Smiles all round.

I took my kids there last Spring (aged 4 and 6) and they loved it. Bizarrely my youngest found the hidden Minotaurs scarier than the little drop-offs !

The huge hair-pin bends on the Slipway were brilliant. It taught my little lads how to climb and descend switchbacks, which was a really good lesson for them both. Every time we now see tight corners, they always reference ‘Slipway’ as….well, the reference point !

+1 for Lynn Brenig too. The original route guides state that you need to take the main road for about a mile at the very top of the loop, but parallel to it is a lovely smooth swoopy trail that’s been resurfaced and is great for beginners. There is even a sign up on the moor top warning you about snakes – how cool is that !

ahwiles
    Free Member

Coed-y-brenin, The minotaur trail, loads of swoopy blue fun.

after about 5k, you’ll cross a bridge, over a river.

once back on the gravel road, the blue sign will point right. there is no shame in finishing the lap, there’s a bit of pedalling to get back…

you have the option to turn left, and climb for about 5mins on the gravel road (round one early RH hairpin). look for a descent off to the right, the entry is a little ragged, but after that it’s more lovely mellow single track back down to the valley (uncle fester?)

I reckon that’ll do for a first mtb ride.

irishtom
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts. In the end we planned on doing the Gwdyir Bach but she picked up a big so we decided against it. Betws is a lovely spot though, had a great weekend. I still managed to get a lap of Chlimachx in, what a trail. Rode it ten years ago, and it’s still a a gem. Think it’s gotten a lot rougher in places, but it was sweet.

tillydog
    Free Member

You would probably enjoy Penmachno, then.

Glad you had a good time. 🙂

irishtom
    Free Member

Cheers, I like the sound of Penmachno alright. Will try and get to it over the summer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Beginners loop near Betws y Coed’ is closed to new replies.