• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fibre.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Before Strava…
  • the-muffin-man

• People still rode fast
    • People still had set routes that they timed themselves on
    • People still went as fast as they could on descents (on and off-road)
    • People still did sprints (but to roadsigns or cafes!)
    • People still did intervals
    • People still wanted to be fastest up a hill (and your mates always knew who was the best!)

…Strava hasn’t made people 25% faster or riders more ‘EPIC’!

It’s just a tool to track your training.

wwaswas

Although I reckon there’s been an increase in people posting bike threads in the chat forum since Strava came along.

Strava is a tool but like most things it’s open to abuse (both electronically) and by people doing stupid stuff when riding to beat an arbitrary time.

I’m all in favour of it but it can attract some idiots.

Jamie
    Free Member

The sky is blue.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    buck53

OK, thanks for that.

jekkyl

there are now more straight line cuts through the dirt and loam in my local woods where strava segments are.

wwaswas

there are now more straight line cuts through the dirt and loam in my local woods where strava segments are.

I saw a video of the local woods from 2009 recently.

The cheat lines everyone blames on Strava were all there.

People always cut corners, by accident or on purpose.

the-muffin-man

OK, thanks for that.

No problem – I’m always here to point out the obvious!

footflaps

I don’t get Strava at all. If you want to see how good you are, you enter a race….

wwaswas

If you want to see how good you are, you enter a race….

but if you want to see if you’re better than you were last week, month or year on the same course a race isn’t necessarily the best tool for the job?

nuke

I don’t get threads like this at all. Get it, don’t get it…who cares? If you don’t like it then don’t use it 😕

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t get threads like this at all.

Me neither, it’s like an overly long winded answer

To a question that nobody asked.

Odd.

IanMunro
    Free Member

People always cut corners, by accident or on purpose.

Aye.
    Personally I blame the plethora of full suss bikes designed for stuff much gnarlier than your average singletrack. Routes twisted and turned because it was quicker than ploughing straight on when all you had was 50mm of elastomer based front suspension and a 1.8″ tyre. More capable bikes just mean the natural line changes.

antennae
    Free Member

Personally I blame the plethora of full suss bikes designed for stuff much gnarlier than your average singletrack. Routes twisted and turned because it was quicker than ploughing straight on when all you had was 50mm of elastomer based front suspension and a 1.8″ tyre. More capable bikes just mean the natural line changes.

Well personally I’m still going round the corners on my fancy full sus bike, just a bit faster, and with the same massive grin on my face as before 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

I don’t get Strava at all. If you want to see how good you are, you enter a race….

+1

I **** hate the whole idea of Strava.

poah
    Free Member

before strava people didn’t post threads about strava

number18
    Free Member

I love it. I’ve only been using it for a few months but it motivates me to get out more, running and biking. It’s a great tool to measure your own performance.

jam-bo

+1
    I **** hate the whole idea of Strava.

Good job it’s optional then or you could be really upset.

nealglover
    Free Member

before strava people didn’t post threads about strava

Ahhhh, the good old days 😉

(Jumpers for goalposts etc.)

chiefgrooveguru

Well personally I’m still going round the corners on my fancy full sus bike, just a bit faster, and with the same massive grin on my face as before

Likewise! And timing myself down particular trails is a damn sight easier, as is working out where I’m losing time on my mates. And many of my quickest Strava moments have recorded whilst in an actual race! 😛

fibre
    Free Member

I’m still enjoying it. I use my Garmin\Strava on rides but it doesn’t dictate the ride, I may have a go at a few climbs that pre Strava I would have just pottered up. I still go on leisurely rides and enjoy just being on a bike. It’s made me ride more, got me fitter and through it I met a great bunch of people 2 years ago that I still ride with on a weekly basis now. I don’t use Strava as an alternative to racing.

Most of the Strava negatives involve people riding like dicks, people ride like dicks with or without it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Before Strava…’ is closed to new replies.