Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Before I press the buy button…(roadie content)
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Are these two purchases any good?

Superstar Roadie Wheels

Deda forks

I have no idea about this stuff whatsoever. Would have the wheels handbuilt, but buying all the right bits is going to be a pain in the ass, and their MTB wheels seems to have a good rep.

Any comments welcome…

lazybike
    Free Member

What do you weigh? those wheels are very light…
    Which frame are the forks for?

radoggair
    Free Member

make sure frame and forks colours match. There’s a host of carbon forks around that price bracket. I like a striaght legged fork as well so looks good. Deda stuff is generally pretty good.

Wheelset looks good VFM, hopefully they’ll last

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

if it were me, i would get my wheels built by Harry
    http://www.harryrowland.co.uk/

The forks look decent enough

tpbiker
    Free Member

thanks all

I weigh about 11.5 stone I reckon. I was concerned the wheels may fall apart, but the rims are marketed at cyclocross as well apparently, so I would have though would have been reasonably durable.

Forks are going on a Planet x frame.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The wheels could be a risk. Might be ok, doubt they’ll last very long though.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Most road wheels get advertised as CX as well.

for £280 i’d look around for some pre-built Mavic’s Kysirium Equipe or similar.

like this:

Mavic Wheelset at Wiggle

lazybike
    Free Member

I would speak to a wheelbuilder before ordering those wheels…

Harry Rowland and Derek at Wheelsmith are both very helpfull..

njee20
    Free Member

for £280 i’d look around for some pre-built Mavic’s Kysirium Equipe or similar.

I wouldn’t, heavy, proprietary spares. Sod that.

As long as you accept the Superstars will be a bit flexy and the rims won’t last forever you’re good to go. When the rim wears out you buy a new one and rebuild it. Easy.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve got Superstar mtb wheels (with Stans rims), no issues – and I’m about 11.5 stone, which I wouldn’t consider that heavy.

As per njee, they won’t be super stiff, but rebuild them when the rims wear out. Stans rims have a reasonable reputation.

In fact I might have to get myself a set!

BristolPablo
    Free Member

They are very light but I wouldnt worry too much about that, straight pull is common these days and 20/24 spoke count is enough for your weight not to break at the first sign of a pothole. Assume the weak point is the hubs? the danger is they are no name budget ones that wont do the rims justice and be rough.

You could get the same rims on novatec superlight hubs for not much more from a reputable wheelbuilder or for £300, some Campag Zondas which have amazed me in terms of quality and performance since i bought a pair!

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/20305/Campagnolo-Zonda-Black-Road-Wheels.html

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I don’t see what could be wrong with the hubs? If they’re cartridge bearings then just put new bearings in when the possibly crap ones wear out.

Do Novatec hubs have any better a reputation?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Before I press the buy button…(roadie content)’ is closed to new replies.