Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Before I press buy on some light bicycle road wheels
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Couple of questions..

Looking at a set of 55 mm aero u shaped rims.. Should I get novice or bitec hubs? Never heard of the latter?

Is there a difference between spin or pillar aero spokes? They weigh the same?

How much tax will I get hit with roughly on 600 dollar wheels?

plus-one

Had bitex hubs on my farsports wheels .. other than replacing bearings maybe once a year(cheap as chips) they were faultless for 3 years 8)

Bitex make hubs for lots of companies..

Set of 55mm giant carbon wheels in classifieds.. nowt to do with me

Sandwich

The HMRC website will have details of duty and tax payable on imports. Don’t forget to allow £10 (or more) ‘courier tax’ for them paying it for you.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

you’ll pay their Paypal fees on the wheels + shipping price.

Then 20% VAT plus IIRC 3% import duty on whatever they put as the invoice price, plus the ‘courier tax’ referred to above which was around £8 when I got some.

So you’ll pay far more than the headline price on the website, so worth doing some numbers. Might end up cheaper to buy from someone who’s already done the importing like Zuus, ~£500 for a pair of deep sections and a UK warranty. I’ve got a pair of LB road wheels I’m happy with (well, I recently snapped a spoke and haven’t got around to replacing it yet) but not sure I’d buy again with so many re-sellers pretty much matching them on price, having wheels in stock (mine took a few months to arrive from the point of order), and with a local warranty.

akira

Prime wheels on wiggle look pretty good as well.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I think my jra jawbone hubs are bitex. had them for 2 years so far and they’ve been great.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Before I press buy on some light bicycle road wheels’ is closed to new replies.