Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Before I die, can someone PLEASE teach me how to wheelie?
  • ski
    Free Member

Even as a kid with a reasonable BMX back in the 80’s (yes the 80’s!) the most I could keep my front wheel up for was about one crank rotation.

Later on, getting my first MTB, wheelies did not improve, if anything it got worse, I would find mid wheelie, I would lean off to one side, stopping the wheelie only a few feet from where I started!

No matter what type of bike, HT, SS, FS, I have even tried on a road bike and CX! That front wheel will not stay up for me.

OK, I can just about clear trail debris logs, curbs, or rocks, but that’s about it!

So with my 44th birthday looming and being a keen cyclist for over 3/4 of my life, I would love to be able to tick this off!

P.S. Please tell me at my age, I am not the only one who is a complete failure to master this holy grail.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

lean back more.

AlexSimon

I think the secret is to put flat pedals on your bike and practice going over the back too far and jumping off.
    Then you wont be scared near the balance point.

ski
    Free Member

OK two good points, will try, thank’s

chilled76
    Free Member

Where are you based?

If in the midlands, I’ll teach you… will take an afternoon to get the basics.

You can’t learn off a forum.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I’m more or less the same. can do the odd few rotations but never up on the balance point properly. Up hill and in low gear with saddle down always seems to help.

Once in 1998 I even did a manual by mistake over a big puddle. Good day.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Arms straight, one finger covering the rear brake (though getting your mind into dabbing it when you start to fall back instead of baling out is anoter thing) and hang back and be prepared to jump off the back. Try to stay relaxed. Then practice, practice some more, then after that practice again. I can get about 5 pedal revolutions before it all goes pear shaped, but working on it. I also find you don’t want to be in too low a gear, select the highest gear you can to get the wheel up. Before and after every ride i’ll spend about 15mins practicing floor skills like wheelies, manuals, hops. I’m improving but its slow progress. Its all realated to how much time you can commit to practice. No shortcuts i’m afraid.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah getting the front wheel up far enough (to the balance point) is key, if you don’t then you’re constantly pulling the bars trying to counteract the wheel dropping and unless you pull the bars with exact even force through both hands then you’ll end up leaning. Flats pedals are going off the back is a good start to realise just how high the front wheel should go for a proper wheelie, after you get that sorted then it’s a case of using the rear brake to stop the looping out until you practice enough you can judge getting the wheel up to the balance point without going too far

Euro
    Free Member

I was crap at wheelies as a kid. Still not very good now but as it’s not really a skill needed for mtb (or bmx) it never bothered me.

ahwiles
    Free Member

practise, a LOT.

seriously, half an hour per day, for a fortnight, that should get you close.

but, as a starter, drop your saddle a *bit*

a gentle up-slope helps.

a constant light tickle on the rear brake (so it’s easier to add a little squeeze to lower the front wheel a bit)

knees out.

weeksy

ahwiles – Member
    practise, a LOT.

seriously, half an hour per day, for a fortnight, that should get you close.

but, as a starter, drop your saddle a *bit*

a gentle up-slope helps.

a constant light tickle on the rear brake (so it’s easier to add a little squeeze to lower the front wheel a bit)

Is correct…

I do it with my 4 year old now, he rides, i piss about trying to wheelie…

I can now get about 6-7 revolutions of the crank at the balance point…which is 5 more than i usually could lol

Steve-Austin
    Free Member
    The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I do it with my 4 year old now, he rides, i piss about trying to wheelie…

This is what I spend my time doing as well when cycling with the little ones. Trianers and normal SPD’s here, great fun and actually starting to see and improvement in my skills, (shock 8O), and great “quality time” with the boys as well.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Not sure if this helps, but check out my vid with the helmet cam for an idea on how to feather the rear brake.

Keep practicing, it’ll soon click…..

samuri
    Free Member

I used to wheelie a road bike because that’s all I had.

Now I cant wheelie for more than a couple of pedal strokes. I am losing my hair though.

singlecrack
    Free Member

If you’re from the 80’s then you should know that ALL wheelies are measured in white lines (on the road) ….and I can do 1 maybe 1 1/4 😆

Simon

I do the ride with the kids and practice wheelies thing. I get told to stop showing off 🙁

wirral
    Free Member

Hey! Age wize I’m not far behind you my friend. Just started mtb riding ‘properly’ in the last year or so. I know not a crucial mtb skill But I too am in the process of learning. I’ve done 2 x 20 mins practice sessions with my 13 yr old son and am just starting to get the feel for the ‘balance point’. From what I’ve seen, watched, learned – pump the front of the bike down, move your weight quickly back and keep your arms straight, cover your rear brake touch it if you want to bring the front wheel down and practice all you can.

If you have a smart phone/iPad there is a great app called called coaches eye. Get someone to video you on the device then watch it back throughout the app, it’s great to see what you’re doing right or wrong, you can slow-mo zoom etc, its really useful (use it for your golf swing as well)

Good luck!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Before I die, can someone PLEASE teach me how to wheelie?’ is closed to new replies.