Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Beetroot recipes please
  • Mounty_73

Anyone have any interesting beetroot recipes?

We have a lot of them! 😉

benji
    Free Member

Had some chocolate and beetroot cake a while ago and it was delicious, as for the recipe, wish i had but alas i’m without.

chvck
    Free Member

Best use of beetroot is to use it in cake IMO. Don’t have any recipes though.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Risotto, roughly this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/5243469/Beetroot-risotto.html

except I’d use vodka instead of the vermouth (and maybe add a shot of vodka at the end if serving it to adults), whack sour cream on top at the end (don’t mix it in, just a blob on each person’s plate) and dill.

Oh, and borscht (beetroot soup, from Eastern Europe), there are tons of recipes for it, I have no idea what was used when we’ve had it. Can be made veggie or with beef stock. Google for a recipe and choose one that sounds nice to you and isn’t super complex.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/apr/07/how-to-cook-perfect-borscht

joemarshall
    Free Member

Oh, you can pickle it too which is nice.

freddyg
    Free Member

Scrub the soil off.

Don’t peel it.

Cut into wedges / quarters.

Sprinkle a little olive oil, fresh thyme and salt.

Toss in a roasting tray and roast at 140 – 160 until done.

Skin slightly crispy, flesh soft and sweet.

Nice. 8)

FuzzyWuzzy

As above, roast it. Only chocolate cake I had that had beetroot in it wasn’t as nice as a normal chocolate cake, could still taste an earthy beetroot undertone that did nothing to enhance the flavour

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    Grizla
    Free Member

I’ve been toying with the idea of doing a beetroot rosti with a warm smoked mackerel fillet and horseradish. Not tried it yet though.

kcal

as above, chocolate cake with beetroot. Rather delicious, though had to tell my mum it was simply chocolate otherwise she wouldn’t have eaten it.

It *might* have been off Epicurious app, or maybe just BBC/Nigella..

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I make a beetroot risotto ,just fry onions and garlic in olve oil , add rice and strir, add stock and grated beetroot , season and add parmesan cheese to taste

lemonysam
    Free Member

Chutney.

Beetroot is the king of chutney ingredients.

edit: here’s the recipe we use:

2lb raw beetroot shredded
    1lb onions chopped
    1 1/2lb cooking apples, peeled cored and chopped
    1lb raisins
    3 tbsp ground ginger
    2 tsp dried chilli flakes
    2lb granulated suger
    2 pints malt vinegar
    1 1/2 oz salt
    Juice of 1 lemon

put in pan, heat, simmer till it’s thick. Jar up and leave for a couple of months.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

We had a buffet in work today which included a beetroot, pomegranate, olive and orange salad with olives which sounds completely wrong but was actually delicious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Beetroot recipes please’ is closed to new replies.