Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bees taken residence in disused chimney – best thing to do?
  • jamesfts
    Free Member

Got home last night to find 50 to 100 bees in an upstairs bedroom, most seemed fairly dopey but still a few buzzing around.

Removed these but found more were dropping from a poorly sealed fireplace in the room so now have sealed that up as best I can.

I’m not sure if they’re honey bees or solitary bees but guessing probably the latter, the ones that were taken outside seemed too be grouping back together on the floor if that makes any difference.

If it was just me I’d be quite happy for them to remain in residence however my other half isn’t quite as happy and as we’ve a young daughter who loves picking up every bug/insect she finds I can understand her concern.

I can’t see a bee keeper being happy to retrieve them from the chimney as it’s a bugger to get to so is the only alternative pest control?

martinhutch

They’re not a pest so why not seal off the fireplace properly with a bee proof vent and let them crack on? If they can’t get into the house they will cause you no nuisance whatsoever.

Ring up your local beekeeper if you want any more advice.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Speak to these guys.

British Beekeepers Association

What type of bee are they?

http://www.bpca.org.uk/pages/?page_id=145

devash
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

If they can’t get into the house they will cause you no nuisance whatsoever

It’s the bears that turn up looking for honey that cause the problems.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Christ, bears?! No-one said anything about bears!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bees taken residence in disused chimney – best thing to do?’ is closed to new replies.