Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • bees, for the love of god, bees
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

In our porch.

Well, in the porch roof, to be specific. Hidden behind plasterboard from underneath, and tiles from above.

They seemingly just arrived, sometime over the last couple of weeks and are now buzzing with frankly mental volume.

a) Will I die?
    b) Will somebody be able to remove them?
    c) Can I remove them?
    d) If the answer to all the above is no, can I eliminate them without going straight to hell?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Defo bees?
    Bees are in short supply, don’t kill them.

jools182
    Free Member

a) eventually but probably not from the bees
    b) yes, after dismantling the porch
    c) see above, but with slightly more hilarious results
    d) you’ll definitely go straight to hell if you kill them. They are bees. Bees are good. Wasps on the other hand, complete arseholes…

benslow
    Free Member

We had something similar last week.

Got someone from BBKA really quickly and for free – British Bee Keepers Association

They were very helpful and keen as want to protect bees as much as poss.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Defo bees. Hairy bits and everything.

Annoyingly, until yesterday, I was under the assumption they were wasps. Which we had last year. They were a simpler proposition, ethically.

It was the noise in the porch that did it, I could hear wasps rasping at wood/paper/etc to build the nest. The bees are just buzzing like maniacs.

Anyway. Don’t wasps eat insect pests and perform pollination?

jonba
    Free Member

peteimpreza

What benslow said.

We need to look after the bees!!

retro83
    Free Member

As above, BBKA will help.

Following Jonba’s post, i can’t resist posting this:

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

bugger, we’ve missed the easy bit where they are a swarm

sounds like someone will have to poke through the plasterboard

or we leave them alone to fill up our porch with frantic buzzing

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bumble Bees?

You can move them but you are likely to kill the nest. Do bit of research but you can choose to to either live with them, they won’t do you any harm, move them, 50/50 on whether the nest survives or kill them, not a choice I would make but they are not technically protected.

If you move them do it a night or get a bee keeper to doit

Honey bees

A local bee keeper will come and get them for you

fasthaggis

As benslow says

Bee nice to them

Or…
    if it’s this lot,they are probably just passing through on their way to a gig 🙂

Cougar

Bees are good, bees are good.

I may be wrong, but I think they nest seasonally. Ie, they’ll sod off of their own accord once summer’s over.

IANABK.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Move them?

matt_outandabout

Bees? You need ‘MrPollinator’

(Just another normal day at work here… 😯 )

richc
    Free Member

I have two nests of miner bees in my garden, one nest is OK (its out of the way) the other is in a really bad spot (for me) as it block access to half of my garden.

They haven’t stung me yet, but as soon as they do I will have to get rid of them or abandon 50% of my garden.

Are people interested in moving non honey bee’s?

nparker

Same thing here (discovered last week) only in the porch of my garden office. After some research I concluded that they were bumble bees and the ten or so bees swarming around the nest are likely to be males which don’t sting. They’re also completely non-aggressive (I’ve got quite close to watch them) so I’m leaving them be as they’re good for nature and in sharp decline (although they obviously favour STW’ers).

Plenty of sites on the internet to help you identify them.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Try and hire this guy? Bees

Cougar

Bees? You need ‘MrPollinator’

Is she tiny or is he massive?

matt_outandabout

Both.

unklehomered
    Free Member

since we’re posting things…

But i’m deeply jealous, I want some bees, was going to get a hive, but instead I’d replacing the rear calipers on my car. I’m nowhere near as excited about rear calipers as I was about a bee hive…

mefty
    Free Member

If not a swarm then they are unlikely to be honey bees, bumble bees tend to be solitary so my guess would be some of type of tree bee which do move on.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Definitely not solitary. See references to iron maiden gig levels of audible buzzing coming from porch roof.

Might be bumbles of some description. I’ve not had one close by and stationary for long enough to really determine. However, I think they’re too numerous for bumbles.

The noise sort of suddenly arrived, which makes me think we may have been out while the swarm arrived.

We’ve had swarms nearby, last year. Obviously some local beekeeper isn’t providing enough quality accommodation for his charges.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Bees, you say…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Nv2CaD-Zs[/video]

jonr8
    Free Member

Sounds like Tree Bumblebees. They are quite furry with a white bottom. We’ve got some nesting in our Kitchen roof.
    Quite a new variety apparently, only been in the country for a few years. Sensitive to vibration but otherwise quite harmless. They don’t swarm but may go out to forage in groups of 20 or more. The colony should have died out by the end of July.
    Info here

Stevet1
    Free Member

Reminds me of when we had a swarm the MIL advised us to catch the queen bee and move it somewhere else so that the rest would follow. How would we know which one the queen bee is I asked?
    They’ve got a fluorescent marking on their backs came the answer.
    I had to try and explain that this was painted on by beekeepers and not an evolutionary design to make the queen bee stand out.
    Also had to explain that white tigers do not live in the arctic. I am 99% certain she disbelieves me about this.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘bees, for the love of god, bees’ is closed to new replies.