Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Beers in London with a couple of mates
  • theotherjonv

We're fed up of the same places, around London Bridge / Covent Gdn, etc. Where would you recommend; suggestions so far include Smithfield or Wapping. Needs to be not hugely out of the way so last trains can be got.

br
    Free Member

Borough Market

kimbers

camden for trendy psuedo punk goth fun?

Nonsense
    Free Member

Upper street, Shoreditch/Old Street, City

Smithfield isn't that great but a stones throw from Shoreditch. Captain Kidd in Wapping is nice but not much else down there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Proper beer or gassy lager?
    Nice views or nice location?
    Etc. etc. etc

whippersnapper
    Free Member

new (done up) pub near me is very good indeed. Guest ales, cider and perry only. They may have a token lager somewhere. Home made pork pies and scotch eggs which are proper tasty. They'll sell you a flagon to take for a picnic too if you want. Southampton Arms on Highgate Road recommended (it is quite small though).

akira

Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street, lots of room and quite nice. Mind your head though!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

whippersnapper, noted (In case I ever find myself in the Northern Wastelands!) 😉

whippersnapper
    Free Member

y'know what they say captain, it's grim up north 😉

simonralli2
    Free Member

I used to hang out in plenty of places in Shoreditch. Cantaloupe was always a fave

http://www.cantaloupe.co.uk

You're spoilt for choice in London!!

If it's hot, then get on the district line down to Richmond, and grab a beer by the riverside.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My current faves;
    The Marquis, Pimlico – Anti-gastro pub with great beer! Food includes fish finger sandwiches!
    White Horse, SW6 – Best beer in London, and plenty of fine fillies/posh totty to ogle
    Shaw's, EC4 – Busy city boozer, great service
    The Nag's Head, Kinnerton St, SW1 – Epic! Oh, just make sure your phone is on silent. Seriously.

Will ponder some more.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There are some fabulous O'Neills around still. I could swear I'm back home when I'm there…brings a tear to my eye it does 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂 @ Darcy!

Used to be a cracking real Irish bar in EC4, called Ryans. Sadly gone now. 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sadly gone now.

Tru dat. Most of them are now 🙁

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

The Bree Louise right near Euston has loads and loads of real ale, so much that at least 1/2 if not 2/3 of it is on gravity and they give you a 1/3 pint glass. Its a bit rough and ready inside but real friendly. A must do if you are into ales.

The White Horse is poncey as ****, but again a great range of beers

simonjf63
    Free Member

The Prospect of Whitby – favourite haunt of Hanging Judge Jeffreys

manitou
    Free Member

The Fox in Hanwell is a nice pub

Hairychested
    Free Member

Manitou's seconded.
    Also, The White Heart up Greenford Avenue in Hanwell W7 was my watering hole for several years.

aP
    Free Member

Al – that's a local pub dammit.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You're spoilt for choice in London!!

Here is Truth, and Wisdom.

Smithfield:

Fox and Anchor for some lovely real ales in a beautiful old pub. Was in there earlier! Little alcoves in the back, great for a romantic pint or two.

The Castle by Farringdon tube is another decent pub that's a bit 'livelier', not popular with fogeys!

If you're there around lunchtime, and feel peckish, I can recommend Beppe's Cafe on the corner of Hosier Lane and Giltspur St, just opposite the littleAmbulance station. Pukka little workers' cafe, popular with Binmen and Barristers alike.

Cheshire Cheese, as mentioned by Akira above, is a truly historical olde pubbe. The haunt of Samuel Jhonson, Charles Dickens and others. Actual sawdust on the floor!

Wapping:

Prospect of Whitby, obviously! Oldest riverside pub in the Universe or something like that! Lovely old place. Gets quite touristy, but that's no bad thing. Nice little beer garden to the side.

And my fave, the Captain Kidd. Shame Craig the former landlord has left, but a cracking pub, and popular with just about everyone who's been there with me. Large beer garden to the side, plenty of space for bikes. Like the Cheese, it's a Sam Smiths so a good step up from the usual Fosters/Stella pish.

In all honesty, there are hundreds of good pubs in London. Loads of good ones in the Square Mile alone. Bad pubs are a rarity really. Bad pubs don't survive in a place where people demand high standards.

mefty
    Free Member

Two of the best pubs in London are close to Smithfield, Jerusalem Tavern and Ye Olde Mitre. That is if you like old fashioned pubs – if you do Fancy a Pint is a good website as that is the type of pub the reviewers like.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Hanwell is a backwater!

rootes1

Any sam smith pub…. How can you wrong for £1.99 for bitter and a few pence more for alpine / man in a box lager……. The Cardinal, Victoria. Citte of York, Holborn or Lyceum, The Strand are ones i frequent during the week – not amazing pubs buts two beers and crisp for less than a fiver…

steve-g
    Free Member

Greenwich is the place for pubs, Gypsy Moth, Trafalgar, Union.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Well, if you want something different: Shacklewell Arms on Shacklewell Lane in Dalston.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If you're talking about Greenwich, then of course the Union on Royal Hill is a must. Meantime beer brewed locally. A fantastic selection of beers. Proper stuff,none of yer shite.

The Cutty Sark, along the riverside heading east is a very nice pub. Along just past the little hospice and the power station. Riverside seating. Lovely in Summer.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Shacklewell Arms on Shacklewell Lane in Dalston.

😯

'Different' is one way of putting it, I suppose….

MrSmith
    Free Member

Smithfield isn't that great

what a crock of shite. there are a few pubs listed above and i'll add
    the jerusalem tavern
    the old red cow
    the rising sun
    hat and feathers
    slaughtered lamb
    the bleeding heart
    dovetails
    ye old mitre
    the crown
    the gunmakers
    the well

all good pubs with decent beer, there's plenty of other good drinking places either posher/noisier/quieter nearby.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Smithfield isn't that great

Who said that??! Oh look, someone called 'Nonsense'. How very apt! 😀

I imagine there's probably loads more pubs round there I know nothing about. There's loads I've been in can't even remember the names of (ahem… :oops:). Be nice to hear some recommendations from others actually.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I'd generally agree with MrSmith – quite often wander up that way after work.

Absolutely disagree on Sam Smiths bars though, and the Cheshire Cheese is a dump. If you want to hang out with pikey accountants who are too tight to pay for a proper pint then fair enough. I don't.

rootes1

Pk….The Cardinal (behind rom cath cathedral) at early lunch mid is a pleasurable dark dank place of old men nursing a beer whilst reading a paper – has a book swap shelf as well.. No accountants there and for £2 a pint i can not see the issue… Better than a weatherbland… Why should a pint cost £4….

Adam and Eve on Petty France is ok, landlady is amusing and old fashioned as well…. Made us sit on a small table when we were heading for a large 'oy, sit at a small table there is only two of you!'

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sam Smiths pubs. Good ale at decent prices and not rammed with asymmetric haircuts.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Absolutely disagree on Sam Smiths bars though, and the Cheshire Cheese is a dump. If you want to hang out with pikey accountants who are too tight to pay for a proper pint then fair enough. I don't.

Actually, I think you'll find there's a lot of lawyers and legal staff there too. I don't think it's a dump (place is steeped in history), and like Sam Smiths beers. I suppose you're one of those types who prefers poncy wine bars? 😀

Good ale at decent prices and not rammed with asymmetric haircuts.

Probably why PK Ripper doesn't like them.

Actually, forgot another nice Sam Smiths pub; Princess Louise by Holborn. Beautifully restored; has little cubicles if you're in a small group. Very cosy.

And if you want a really nice view of the River and the City, yet another SS pub, the Angel in Rotherhithe is one to seek out. Lovely at sunset.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Nah, he's a middle aged accountant, just not a pikey one..

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Sack off the beer and go to Gordon's!

http://tinyurl.com/2vp2lnw

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ladies and Gentlebastards; we have a blasphemer in our midst.

Whine bar?

In the good old days, a man would have been disemboweled for suggesting such heresy!!! And rightly so; and rightly so…

theotherjonv

Cheers all. Could be a long night out with that many to select from. Reminds me of a business trip to Dublin one time, myself and a colleague were there to audit a prospective contract manufacturer, so they were doing their best to make us welcome. The Manufacturing Manager announced to us as he was telling us about when he'd pick us up for dinner, et., 'As you lads are only here for one night we don't want to take any chances. So I've canvassed the lads on the factory floor, to see where they think they serves the best pint of guinness. And we've narrowed it down to about 6 or 7 places……'

Have been to Smithfield once before, Fox and Anchor rings a bell (is that a foody pub too?) as does the Jerusalem Tavern and also (maybe was the same place) a tiny pub serving St Peter's beers. But looks like Wapping might get the nod this time.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh, if you're going to Wapping, then I suppose it would be rude of me not to mention the Town of Ramsgate. Another '3 tides' pub like the Prospect. Nice little pub actually.

You could do a crawl along the river in Wapping, then over to Limehouse. End up in Canary Wharf perhaps.

Mmm. Can I come? 😀

pk-ripper
    Free Member

for what it's worth, I don't give a crap whether you think I prefer poncy wine bars or not.

It's unlikely we'll drink in the same places.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oooh! Get her!

Whatever, girlfriend! 😀

I tend to drink meths on park benches a lot. I'll try not to scare you when you totter past in your high heels. I might give you a wolf whistle though. You'll like that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Beers in London with a couple of mates’ is closed to new replies.