Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • beers in London Thursday?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone up for a pint tomorrow?

I’ll be touristing during the day, meat up somewhere central ish?

tomhoward

I’ll be touristing during the day, meat up somewhere central ish?

Euphemism?

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you want to do some window shopping 8) I can meet you at The Botanist on Sloane Sq (central/district line tube or many buses) or The Thomas Cubbit on Elizabeth St (near Victoria) ?

I cannot promise a “session” as I am only free from 630 till 730

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mogrim

Euphemism?

😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Great idea Sir, but I’m Darn Sarf.. 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thomas Cubbit sounds good.

Euphemism… Of course 😎

Stoner
    Free Member

dammit. not up there this week.
    have a good time.

honeybadgerx

I’m heading back north Thursday, otherwise would have been up for a pint or three.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shame stoner.

Where’s Flash?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*bump*

Also…any culture/daytime activities you can recommend? I like wee out of the way things but am also thinking of Ark Royal and the Matisse thing…

bikebouy
    Free Member

CFH lives in rural Hants now doesn’t he?

Have you been over to the Tower of London yet to see the Poppies? Go after 1830’ish and most of the Tourists have gone and the Suns just right for catching them all..

Greenwich to see the Cutty Sark perhaps, taking in the Meantime brewery whilst there?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ooh cool, ta, had forgotten poppies. Will be in boozer by then!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ooh, arr, that be roight, I be out of Larndarn now!

However,
    Botanist – Mediocre pub in nice location.
    Cubitt – Shit pub, with shit beer. And full of hedgies.

Try the Marquis of Westminster or Cask instead. Both in SW1.

Jamie
    Free Member

And full of hedgies.

Full of whut?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The one day thus week, I’m not in London…
    Sorry Al. 😥

Stoner
    Free Member

And full of hedgies.
    Full of whut?

Hedgehogs
    Its cockerny for “pricks”

honeybadgerx

+1 to poppies at the Tower, I pass them on the way to my site each time I’m down and has been interesting (and poignant) to watch them develop. Also worth checking if any of the big museums have special displays on. The Imperial War Museum has also got a new gallery centering around WWI.

Jamie
    Free Member

Its cockerny for “pricks”

Ooooh. I see.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

May as well be! 😀

stoffel
    Free Member

Hedge Fund mnagers. Invariably brash, arrogant loudmouthed coke=heads lacking in social graces.

Sw1 isn’t awash with great pubs; I’d be heading more towards the City, particularly around the Clerkenwell/Farringdon area, which has lots of good pubs. The suits will usually have dispersed by 8 or 9, on a school night. If you’re very brave, then Hackney really is the place for god beer at the moment, with several microbreweries springing up. London Feilds is choice, if you can handle Hipsters (they’re a lot easier than Hedgies). Pubs are falling over themselves to offer the best beer. Dalston boasts some good drinking establishments, but with the finest kebab restaurants nearby. Or you could take a risk and wander down to Bermondsey st, as it’s suddently got über trendy round there. Brick Lane by comparison is ‘over’. Just tourists now.

I can’t reccomend one pub. There are far too many. Enjoy! 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Hedge Fund mnagers.

Spoil sport. for the only time in my life I might nearly have got one over on Mr Jamie!

Jamie
    Free Member

Spoil sport. for the only time in my life I might nearly have got one over on Mr Jamie!

I googled it just after asking. I was just humouring you* 8)

*I wasn’t, but CFH knowing Cockney rhyming slang did raise a red flag.

Stoner
    Free Member

or go for the classics, The Harp (‘tween Trafalgar Square & Covent Garden) was Camra UK pub of the year a few years back. Rightly so. Superb beer, nice feel to it too. My old local.

If you find yourself staggering around W1, then check out The Guinea hidden behind Berkeley Square, The Audley not hidden on South Audley Street.

The Grenadier on Wilton row, not far from Hyde Park corner is another hidden gem as is the Horse And Groom on Groom Place. But I generally dont like being in Belgravia. But these two pubs are OK.

If you are in Mid town, then the Old Mitre is quite a find, if you can, er find it…

Old Mitre

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, no, no.

Hedge Trimmers

Cockerney for Rimmers.

#strangest

allthepies
    Free Member

Being sold to Fullers I believe.

Stoner
    Free Member

Gah!

I suppose it could be worse.

stoffel
    Free Member

Camra UK pub of the year

That doesn’t mean an awful lot to me really. CAMRA are a bunch of old fuddy-duddies who are terrified of anything new, and of anything that isn’t brown and cloudy. Loads of newwer brewers are being overlooked by CAMRA, because they brew something a bit different, like Lager or wheat beer, or genrally anything ‘foreign’. Bit too conservative and staid for e. Like the UCI. The Harp is a nice pub though.

The Grenadier on Wilton row

That’s a lovely little place that. Really tucked away. Which made me think of the Old Mitre, which you’ve also mentioned! Not far from there is the Fox and Anchor on Charterhouse st, or the Betsy Trotwood on Farringdon road. The Craft Beer co on Leather Lane does a great range of good beers, but is a shit pub really. Overprced and pretentious, with no real atmosphere. The Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet st is another good one, full of legal types most evenings. Fascinating history. That’s then not far from The Ship tavern on Gate st, just off Lincolns ‘inn Feilds. Good food. You could get extremely pissed wandering round that area. 😀

senorj

More fun to be had in Soho imo ,Plus! Thursday night is Gaz’s Rockin’ Blues nite!!! I would definitley have a drink or two in the Coach & Horses , & and expresso at Bar Italia.
    Unfortunately my debauchery days are over and I’ll be putting L’il J to bed. 🙁
    & probably having a pint in the Bald faced Stag ,N2. 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Never been a fan of the Old Cheshire Cheese, but if you’re in legaland, the 7 stars at the bottom of lincoln’s inn fields is lovely in summer.

I’ve spent 15+ years on a bike navigating zone 1 by pubs. One of the greatest assets of the city is it’s range of great drinking holes where you can put your feet up in comfort and enjoy a cracking pint. I dont disagree that CAMRA can be a bit old skool, but I dont think that means their judgement on a good pub is going to be off by much. Ive been lucky enough to have lived next to a UK pub of the year and work next to another, and I reckon they are both ace pubs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Botanist – Mediocre pub in nice location.
    Cubitt – Shit pub, with shit beer. And full of hedgies.

[sensitive on]
    Now now, play nicely CFH, The Botantist is a bar/restaurant (not a pub) with a great crowd who are easy on the eye on a Thursday evening. It also has a Boris bike stand next to it and the tube.

Cubitt, good Thursday crowd also and more of a pub. I also gave Al some other alternatives like The Anteople if he wants a more old fashioned styled boozer. There are two or three “beer” pubs within 5 mins of the Cubitt and anyway why not try something a bit more West End/Belgravia for a change ?

Al can also make his own mind up about Hedgies if he wishes @stoffel. He was also asking if anyone was about to join him rather than just pub recommendations. I live and work in the central/west area hence my suggestions.
    [sensitive off]

As for activities, definitely go and see the Poppies (I even started a thread on it a few weeks ago), given the weather looks a bit mixed a few galleries and museums would be a good idea. BP Portrait Exhibition (free) is still on at the NPG Trafalgar Sq.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Audley not hidden on South Audley Street.

@Stoner
    if you are in that neighbourhood try the Punch Bowl, its Guy Richie’s pub you don’t see Madonna in there anymore obviously but it’s one of Jason Leonard’s locals. He’s trimmed down a lot and looks fitter than when he was winning his 100 caps for England. Good beer.

poolman
    Free Member

thanks for the ideas – I’ll be in London soon so look forward to trying some of those listed.

FWIW (I used to work on the strand so biased) I like the Coal Hole, Strand, The Nell Gwynne, tucked away in that little alley almost opposite, Princess Louise (cheap beer), Holboln

Also, loving the cafelatte at Bar Italia (but its 3.7 gbp…) or Americano at Fernandez & Wells, Somerset House.

MrSmith
    Free Member

and expresso at Bar Italia

There is no x in espresso
    The Harp is being sold to Fullers? 😐 I hope they don’t change a thing but I expect they will ruin it

Stoner
    Free Member

I know of the punch bowl, and used to use it a lot but ISTR it only really sold theakstons. Not the worst but not my favourite pint.

senorj

There is no x in espresso

Forgive my typo please , may I forever bow to your superiority.
    😀

badnewz
    Free Member

Fullers tried their best to ruin one of my locals.
    They have shifted their strategy onto London and I’d say they generally run the London pubs better than their provincial portfolio.
    No boozing trip into London is complete for me unless I check-in at the Cheshire Cheese on Fleet St.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gentleman

I feel honoured that this thread has become a “best London pub” Big-Hitter-thon.

Venue is now the Botanist due to the totty location.

honeybadgerx

Venue is now the Botanist due to the totty location.

I’ve never heard the STW big-hitters called that before.

cynic-al
    Free Member

T minus 60…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘beers in London Thursday?’ is closed to new replies.